Showing id when at thai post office

ubonr1971

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Really? I worked for US  Postal Service ( not window clerk) but after 9-11 you have to show ID if mailing a package/envelope of 16 oz that goes by air as it might contain an explosive. Mostly they just ask for ID for anything.  They will not take a letter at (the widow) or deliver some letters from mail boxes if no return address. Some contained Anthrax in the past.

Showing id for posting a post card or a birthday card is idiocy

On 11/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, Tayaout said:

Yes.

At the post office in Jomtien, Soi 5 as a foreigner you only show your passport when sending packages or use EMS. Never when sending an ordinary mail inside Thailand or overseas. That's not an official rule at any Thai Post office in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Much like immigration, depends on location, office,officer,time of the month etc.

Rules in Thailand are there solely to be misinterpreted.

Tell me which post office asks for ID/passport when sending an domestic or outbound ordinary mail (an envelope). 

10 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

In five and a half years of using Thailand Post I have only been asked for ID one time, at a post office away from my home. My local post office personnel know me so I assume that is why I am never asked for ID there. 

Thank you, and it is the same for me. In fact, I also rent a PO BOX and the sorting office staff know me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

In five and a half years of using Thailand Post I have only been asked for ID one time, at a post office away from my home. My local post office personnel know me so I assume that is why I am never asked for ID there. 

The reason they ask for ID when sending a parcel is that you're responsible for what's inside. It might be something not allowed to send via the post office. If or when it by any reason get checked at the post terminal or at customs, they can trace it back to you. 

• Thanks 1

When I go Jomtien post office  need passport for registered or normal , even they go into the all pages and filling their computer ….(with ?) when i use the "mobile Van post service "nothing asked for registered or normal no passport asked …. just the old TIT rule different person ,place or timing ...5555

Second thought about post offices Passport asking ….., could be easy for government to "fish out" the overstayers (or wanted ones ) if connected to ,or access to that data base by gov. services ...., not all TM30 or 90 day reports needed so for that