Your Trust In People

sutnyod

Money back guarantee  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi everyone,

this morning quite early I took a taxi to drop me off the metro station. Unfortunately the driver did not have 50 Baht change (fare was 50 and I gave him a 100). He flagged down another taxi with the same problem. Finally the driver said he used to cruise in the area where I live and will deliver the change to our Moo Banh watchmen later. I agreed.

What do you think: will I get the change? (I myself am 100% sure I will get it)

How do you know the watchmen will give it to you? :D

I just TRUST them. That really works wonder.

Also bring them little things from wherever I travel. Those guys never sleep and are very diligent.

BTW: I am the only one who voted for "yes". :o

I beleive you will get it! I got a taxi to BTS, in a rush I realised I only had 500b note so I asked if I could leave my bags in the taxi (dont know why I did but i did i guess I was in a mad rush) ran up to the station got some change and came back paid the taxi driver and even gave him the snack I purchased to obtain the change from 500b. He was quite cheerful!

KD :o

One of my friends came to thailand for a holiday in 1998. He was in a rush to get to the bars, jumped out of the taxi, & his folder containing his wallet (containing $5000), credit cards & passport managed to fall on the floor of the taxi.

The next day the taxi showed up to the hotel & the driver returned everything. Not a dollar was missing.

my friend gave the taxi driver a 10,000B tip.

Not all taxi drivers are merciless sharks. Some are really decent people. :o

Soundman.

One of my friends came to thailand for a holiday in 1998. He was in a rush to get to the bars, jumped out of the taxi, & his folder containing his wallet (containing $5000), credit cards & passport managed to fall on the floor of the taxi.

The next day the taxi showed up to the hotel & the driver returned everything. Not a dollar was missing.

Soundman.

Agreed. Khon Jai dee maak! There are some very decent people out there!

KD :D

My daughter dropped her doll in a taxi and one day later security in the building handed it over.

Probably nothing attractive to anyone except to my girl, but a nice gesture by the cabbie to bring it in at his earliest convenience. We had no idea where the doll could had been lost, no calls, nothing.

Reading these posts is most humbling, and the Thai honesty brings a lump to my throat.

One day, a few years ago. I had just moved into my house, when a teenage girl on a motorcycle arrived at my front gate. She told me she had been stopped by the police for something, I forget what, and needed 400b to pay them. She said she only lived just up the road, her father was a farang, but was out and would not be back till 8pm. If I lent her the money, she would bring it straight back when her father came home. Being new to the neighbourhood, not wanting to fall out with the locals I lent her the money, She and the money were never to be seen again.

Before you call me stupid, hindesight is a wonderfull thing. Had I know what I know now, I would have taken a copy of her ID card or even her bike number.

Aha, next time !!!

Soundman.

Of course, soundman, BUT it was yes or no, no maybe, so I (from personal experience) had to vote no, else I'd put down Maybe.

And best tip; have small money when in BKK. :thumbsup:and Sling Sling, very true, very true. And jdinasia, is also right on! :D

Edited by SamuiJens

Soundman.

Of course, soundman, BUT it was yes or no, no maybe, so I (from personal experience) had to vote no, else I'd put down Maybe.

And best tip; have small money when in BKK. :thumbsup:and Sling Sling, very true, very true.

I know its a poll. I however chose not to respond as I believe it will make no difference to the actual outcome of the situation. :D

Cheers,

Soundman.

I find it amazing that a Taxi driver, someone who picks up passengers all day/night never seems to have change... And this is not just in Thailand, but Taxi drivers everywhere. I think it's an unwritten code or something to get more money. Therefore, I voted no. But I totally agree there are many honest people here in Thailand as well. My friend left 10,000 baht in his pants when he took it to the laundry, when he picked up the laundry, the lady handed him the 10,000 and the bag of cleaned and pressed clothing. My friend of course gave the lady a big tip:-)

I find it amazing that a Taxi driver, someone who picks up passengers all day/night never seems to have change... And this is not just in Thailand, but Taxi drivers everywhere. I think it's an unwritten code or something to get more money. Therefore, I voted no. But I totally agree there are many honest people here in Thailand as well. My friend left 10,000 baht in his pants when he took it to the laundry, when he picked up the laundry, the lady handed him the 10,000 and the bag of cleaned and pressed clothing. My friend of course gave the lady a big tip:-)

65Craig wins the cubbe doll, since U're the first to name the "unwritten" law of cabies. The, I have no change scam, which when running someone to the airport, etc. they have no time, so they usually just say keep the change, which adds up in an underpaid job. Fair or not, this happens alot in the states, and Europe, you name them. :D

Ray23, you are asking for alot of replys here! So let me get out of your way! :o

Edited by SamuiJens

I maintain a very large stash of 20 baht bills at my house and always make sure I have a fistful when I leave home so this never happens to me! (yet)

Good advice. He's worried bout 50 bht? Give me a break. Start worrying at 5,000.

To be fair, there wasn't much info to go on. Is this a local cabbie who you are likely to see again, or was he just cruising by? If he's a local guy your likely to see the cash, We trust our local guys, and sometimes I 've seen my friends promise to pay them tommorow when they don't have change. The cabbies are pretty good about it.

50 baht isn't much to get concerned about though, if I were the passenger I would call it my fault for having no change. I know the no-change game from experience. I always have some coins and some small bills when possible.

BTW I voted yes

65Craig wins the cubbe doll, since U're the first to name the "unwritten" law of cabies. The, I have no change scam, which when running someone to the airport, etc. they have no time, so they usually just say keep the change, which adds up in an underpaid job. Fair or not, this happens alot in the states, and Europe, you name them. :D

Ray23, you are asking for alot of replys here! So let me get out of your way! :o

No not really just my personal experience I certainly hope it wasn't everyone elses or we are in trouble LOL

Hi everyone,

there you go:

Ah, some info first: the taxi driver was somebody I had never seen before. But I had called him via our watchmen (booth is near road) and they flagged him. He did not know me, and I chatted to him the whole drive, so I did not look at his name card right in front of my nose. :o And of course, the amount 50 Baht is nothing to worry about, that's why I mentioned it. Sooo tempting to forget 50 Baht (and not much of a problem as far as I am concerned).

So here I come home, dirty and tired after two hours standing in a 3rd class VERY HOT train and first thing I hear is the watchmen asking me did I pick up my money. Wow! Said no, I come to your booth later, have to shower first. Not 2 min later he shows up in front of my house by bike and hands me over the money. But then I was always sure those people were honest. I am very sorry for all your negative experiences, but in 20 years I still have to meet a mean Thai person (I know they exist).

Cheers :D

• 4 weeks later...
Reading these posts is most humbling, and the Thai honesty brings a lump to my throat.

One day, a few years ago. I had just moved into my house, when a teenage girl on a motorcycle arrived at my front gate. She told me she had been stopped by the police for something, I forget what, and needed 400b to pay them. She said she only lived just up the road, her father was a farang, but was out and would not be back till 8pm. If I lent her the money, she would bring it straight back when her father came home. Being new to the neighbourhood, not wanting to fall out with the locals I lent her the money, She and the money were never to be seen again.

Before you call me stupid, hindesight is a wonderfull thing. Had I know what I know now, I would have taken a copy of her ID card or even her bike number.

Aha, next time !!!

Don't be hard on thais. This happens quite a lot in the UK too. You give out money, quite often on a very regular basis, and you never get it back - It is called pension contributions !

were you to lose your wallet, you are more likely to get it back in Thailand than the UK, JMO based on first hand experience.

Slightly off topic but my sons favourite soft toy was left behind at a restuarant on Siam Country Road, we didnt know where we had mislaid it and happened upon the restuarant about a month later, the waitress came out with the menu and the soft toy (cleaned) my boy was so happy

So a shameless plug for Popeye Restuarant :o opposite the driving range on Siam Country Road,

BTW the food is fantastic as well and very reasonable :D