Smart Visa..

30 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Just wondering if anyone has actually been issued with one of these yet ?? 

On the surface it seems like a good option and I shall be looking into it a bit more next year.

If you qualify, it could be a great option. But its for specific investments, start-ups, the investors/staff/executives of those start-ups etc. 

https://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=detail_smart_visa

Edited by Peterw42

There were a couple reports on this forum something like 2 years ago, IIRC. The bottom line was: bureaucratic nightmare, avoid like the plague. It seems it's mostly posturing, a way to signal to the world "hey, look, we are attracting tech talent, start-ups etc.", but it ends at the signalling stage.

Malaysia has a similar visa, forgot the name, and it also has a mutli-staged, complicated application process.

Edited by shadowofacloud
  • Haha 1

Start up option looks ok.. 

600k in the bank for a fixed 1 yr term. 

Set up a company within one year.

Annual visa renewable for another 2yrs if requirements are met !! 

I have a suitable qualifying start up in mind, so I will approach the local labour office and immigration office to see what they require and if it's actually viable.. 

Better than waiting for Non Imm O to be no longer available and then panic ????????

20 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Start up option looks ok.. 

600k in the bank for a fixed 1 yr term. 

Set up a company within one year.

Annual visa renewable for another 2yrs if requirements are met !! 

I have a suitable qualifying start up in mind, so I will approach the local labour office and immigration office to see what they require and if it's actually viable.. 

Better than waiting for Non Imm O to be no longer available and then panic ????????

Having established a startup company in Thailand, certified as being the ones in the targeted industries by relevant government agencies such as the National Innovation Agency (Public Organization) and Digital Economy Promotion Agency.

Only worth it if you want to start a real business anyway, as you have to hold at least 25% of company shares and it needs to be in the following industries:

Next-Generation Automotive

Smart Electronics

Affluent, Medical and Wellness Tourism

Agriculture and Biotechnology

Food for the Future

Automation and Robotics

Aviation and Logistics

Biofuels and Biochemicals

Digital

Medical Hub

Alternative Dispute Resolution

Human Resource Development in Science and Technology

Environmental Management and Renewable Energy

30 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Having established a startup company in Thailand, certified as being the ones in the targeted industries by relevant government agencies such as the National Innovation Agency (Public Organization) and Digital Economy Promotion Agency.

Only worth it if you want to start a real business anyway, as you have to hold at least 25% of company shares and it needs to be in the following industries:

Yes, I've been doing research into this for several years now and the start up I have in mind does come under their list... Its something I was going to do when I "retire" from my current off shore job ????

Still no clue why you go down that route, isn't attractive at all.

Get's you a 2 year visa instead of a 1 year one just running a normal company without government oversicht and a b visa with work permit...

Smart visas are mainly stupid, if you take investment and get dilluted in your startup and fall below 25% of ownership you lose the visa, very smart indeed. amazing thailand.

Edited by ThomasThBKK