'hello' From A New Member

TEFLMike

Hello everyone,

May I please introduce myself, as I am new to the Forums. My name is Michael and I live in Lancashire, England. My age is 55 years. Following a messy divorce, I have decided to uproot and leave England for Thailand as a TEFL Teacher. I have been to Pattaya quite a number of times and like the atmosphere tremendously.

I visited last November until just before Christmas. It was on my return back to England that I decided I would love to ‘dig’ deeper into becoming a teacher in Pattaya or Chon Buri.

Over the Christmas period, I decided to return to Pattaya yet again. During the latter half of January I was on my way back to Pattaya. Before leaving the UK, I had spent sometime writing emails and also online with two TEFL Schools in Pattaya. We had arranged, that when I returned, I was to visit them and travel to a few schools in Pattaya and Chon Buri and discuss further, my becoming a teacher in Thailand.

The arrangement, I duly accomplished. I made a few friends with the members of staff of the TEFL schools. We discussed at length, my opportunities, and rewards. The staff at the schools I visited were also very nice towards me. One school even wanted me to start there and then! Alas, I could not at that time. I am now back in England, about to return on a ‘one way’ ticket, on or around the 16th April. My Non Immigrant Visa –B, I have to collect from Hull on the 11th April.

I noted a post in the Teaching Forum mentioning the fact that a new law has been passed in Thailand to the effect that, a Police Clearance Form is now required and to be handed to the school concerned. This applies to all new TEFL Teachers. In the UK, you must allow up to 40 days to receive the Police Check, through the post. It is necessary to go to your local Police Station and request the form for completion. And return, duly signed by a person 'in good standing’ i.e.: a solicitor, teacher or a member of the church, similar to a priest, vicar etc. This must be returned to the same police station accompanied with a fee of £10. The school, in Thailand, then passes this form to the Thai Authorities, and they have a maximum time to do so, which is three months from the date of issue. I have yet to receive my clearance, with about 10 days to the final 40th day.

Time is now approaching rather quickly for my return, I am about to pay my deposit to the TEFL school, book my air ticket, collect my visa and countless other tasks to accomplish. I have elderly parents, alive, in the UK. I do have also two brothers who live here in the UK. It is now that I am experiencing ‘cold feet’ symptoms, which I am sure is natural and many of you, no doubt, experienced similar symptoms before your departure for Thailand on a ‘one way’ ticket.

I look to you, as 'new found’ friends, to assure me that I will be made welcome in Thailand. I look forward to any advice, no matter how great or small, you may be able to offer me. And maybe, one day, meet, as I will initially be teaching in Chon Buri, and visiting Pattaya frequently. I am happy to discuss more if anyone wishes to email me.

Thank for reading my post.

Michael

Hello everyone,

May I please introduce myself, as I am new to the Forums. My name is Michael and I live in Lancashire, England. My age is 55 years. Following a messy divorce, I have decided to uproot and leave England for Thailand as a TEFL Teacher. I have been to Pattaya quite a number of times and like the atmosphere tremendously.

I visited last November until just before Christmas. It was on my return back to England that I decided I would love to ‘dig’ deeper into becoming a teacher in Pattaya or Chon Buri.

Over the Christmas period, I decided to return to Pattaya yet again. During the latter half of January I was on my way back to Pattaya. Before leaving the UK, I had spent sometime writing emails and also online with two TEFL Schools in Pattaya. We had arranged, that when I returned, I was to visit them and travel to a few schools in Pattaya and Chon Buri and discuss further, my becoming a teacher in Thailand.

The arrangement, I duly accomplished. I made a few friends with the members of staff of the TEFL schools. We discussed at length, my opportunities, and rewards. The staff at the schools I visited were also very nice towards me. One school even wanted me to start there and then! Alas, I could not at that time. I am now back in England, about to return on a ‘one way’ ticket, on or around the 16th April. My Non Immigrant Visa –B, I have to collect from Hull on the 11th April.

I noted a post in the Teaching Forum mentioning the fact that a new law has been passed in Thailand to the effect that, a Police Clearance Form is now required and to be handed to the school concerned. This applies to all new TEFL Teachers. In the UK, you must allow up to 40 days to receive the Police Check, through the post. It is necessary to go to your local Police Station and request the form for completion. And return, duly signed by a person 'in good standing’ i.e.: a solicitor, teacher or a member of the church, similar to a priest, vicar etc. This must be returned to the same police station accompanied with a fee of £10. The school, in Thailand, then passes this form to the Thai Authorities, and they have a maximum time to do so, which is three months from the date of issue. I have yet to receive my clearance, with about 10 days to the final 40th day.

Time is now approaching rather quickly for my return, I am about to pay my deposit to the TEFL school, book my air ticket, collect my visa and countless other tasks to accomplish. I have elderly parents, alive, in the UK. I do have also two brothers who live here in the UK. It is now that I am experiencing ‘cold feet’ symptoms, which I am sure is natural and many of you, no doubt, experienced similar symptoms before your departure for Thailand on a ‘one way’ ticket.

I look to you, as 'new found’ friends, to assure me that I will be made welcome in Thailand. I look forward to any advice, no matter how great or small, you may be able to offer me. And maybe, one day, meet, as I will initially be teaching in Chon Buri, and visiting Pattaya frequently. I am happy to discuss more if anyone wishes to email me.

Michael

You now need a Bachelor's Degree (BA) in Education for primary/secondary school teaching or a BA in any subject for university level (though post-graduate degrees are increasingly sought for university-level instructors). These requirements prevail if you want to work legally, i.e., with a workpermit. With no workpermit you face possible arrest under current laws. The TEFL schools are businesses; the purpose of any business is to make money: be careful if you plan to "legalize" yourself here on the sole basis of a TEFL certificate.

Welcome to the board, Michael. As you've probably already defined, the businesses in Thailand are somewhat laissez faire compared to what you're used to. My earnest recommendation is that you go there anyway and don't pin your hopes on some faceless agent. You'll soon find your feet there and make your own way. If you want some good on the spot advice, ask for Terry Broom at the Shamrock Bar in Patt. He'll clue you in and maybe help you to make contact. It's all about who you know there.

Hello everyone,

Living in Thailand, especially Pattaya is nothing like holidaying in Thailand, you may well become as bitter and twisted as most of the people on this forum.

Believe it or not, these guys that continually whine and moan about all things Thai used to like Thailand too, and it all started with a few holidays and a dream, for most it seems the dream move turned into a nightmare move.

Hope you have better fortune than the guys here that live in a country they no longer like. :o

Edited by Maigo6

I'd take those Maigo6's comments with a pinch of salt if I were you.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your upcoming experiences. Thailand is always undergoing dramatic announcements about changing laws... often they remain just that - dramatic anonuncements. Sometimes, there are changes, but...

As another poster mentioned, it's all about who you know.

Most expats I've known in the various countires I have been an expat in, are charming, friendly people, so in fact, I'd chuck out the salt, and disregard the maigo's comments altogether, as he's the only one who comes across as bitter and twisted.

Wishing you well,

Kayo.

Edited by kayo

Living in Thailand, especially Pattaya is nothing like holidaying in Thailand, you may well become as bitter and twisted as most of the people on this forum.

I think you, Maigo6, are the only "bitter and twisted" person in this forum. May I suggest that you stop sucking on lemons morning, noon and night. You may then realise that life (and Thailand) is a lot sweeter than you want to believe.

....and welcome TEFLMike, I hope your dreams of a happy life in LOS come to fruition.

Welcome, TEFL Mike, to ThaiVisa, and prospectively, welcome to Thailand. As it's been stated, you may discover that Pattaya is different from all other parts of Thailand.

You don't need a B.Ed., and you might even scrape by with only an HND, but you really shouldn't try it unless you have a real bachelor's degree in something; can relate well to young learners; have lots of stamina, patience, and energy (what the King James version aptly calls 'longsuffering'); and are able to adapt to a very different culture. If you don't have enough of those things, I'd recommend you stay home.

Yes, you probably need a police clearance to get the right visa from Hull; they have insisted on that recently. Why not ring them and ask if they're serious about it? If you can at least get a single entry non-immigrant B from Hull, that should be enough for starters.

It ain't easy. It may be the most difficult thing you've ever done. But also, the most rewarding. Good luck, and I hope you're browsed through our Teaching in Thailand forum here.

Before you settle in any particular area of Thailand, I suggest you see other areas and think about what you will like for living vs. can like for a short time on vacation. I love the beach but I decided to stay in a non-beach area and travel when I want to see the beach. However, I hate Pattaya and would rather live in a completely different country rather then stay there if that were the only option.

I chose the area where I live because I wanted more opportunities and things to do than a place like Samui for example. I absolutey LOVE Krabi, for vacation, but think maybe I can't handle some things about it on a fulltime basis.

The fact that you love Pattaya seems to me to indicate you haven't been anywhere else. It does have many things a farang here could like but so do many other places, without so much crime, without the Russian mafia, and with much nicer natural beauty, and probably a nicer class of people in general.

Sorry if I am offending anyone, but to me Pattaya is the worst hel_l on earth. So IF you found things to like about it, I am sure you find those same things plus much more in every Thai area that attracts farang.

Another word of advise, when buying anything in Thailand, buyer beware, as the saying goes. People here say ANYTHING to get your money and lies about anything and everything are standard procedure. If you are going to spend money, and want to ask some questions, you can be 100% sure that every answer will be yes, yes, and more yes. Try to buy car insurance for example and ask them if they will accept your drivers license from any place in the world. The answer, yes. The reality, no Thai insurance will cover you unless you have a Thai license, and then go try to get a Thai license. But this is only written in the small print, in Thai, and you won't know until you try to collect, the answer was NO.

TEFL schools are big business here and many big scams. Think about how much money that is to Thai people, think about how long a lawyer or doctor would have to work to earn that money. Think about how many months you will have to work as an English teacher to make back that money, to pay yourself back for the visa you hope you get latter, and all the stories of "free work" you will have to do for no pay in order to keep your job ... read about people's stories. I'm not saying you should not do a TEFL class, but just to keep these things in your mind when those people are pleasing you and making you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Then look at how much rent you need to pay if you want something simple like a bathtub. Personally, unless you are very young and not used to having much, you should expect to have enough money on your own, without working as a teacher to live the way you want in Thailand. The money you earn as a teacher will just be luxury cash.

When you try to figure out your cost of living here, and if you have enough, consider that if you ever go out with Thai friends, you will have to pay for them. Consider how much it takes to pay for your girlfriends here. Yes, it is cheaper here to live and eat and everything, until you start missing some things from home that can be double or triple what you are used to paying. And even though a restaurant bill is much less than home, when you take 5 Thai people with you, it becomes much more expensive than home. If you can't pay, chances are you won't have Thai friends.

Certain things, like quality dog food here for the 4 dogs I have, cost me 3 times what I paid in a first world country, and this expense alone could support a Thai family in the country. (Not that I expect you want to have dogs, probably not.)

And I would take the feeling of cold feet as a good sign that this is not the right place for you. It is your brain working and warning you. There should be no rush. If you are able to move here now, you will be able to move here next year also. Spend more time here. And if you are going through a trauma in life, I would think it is good advise not to make major changes until you have thought about it for a year or so.

But my best advise it be sure you can support yourself finacially, without a job or business, and find freedom here. If you are not secure finacially this could be the most difficult story of your life.

Baaaaaaaaaaaa as the wife would say, many times I have been out for meals with her and her workmates where I literally have to fight to pay the bill!!!!!!!! Ive managed it once in 4 months this included pizzas, swensens and a full blown meal at a lakeside restaurant. None of them earns more than 15000 baht per month.I am continually amazed by this.

One of them will help us with anything and never ever will accept anything in return, good and bad in every country.

Hello everyone,

I visited last November until just before Christmas. It was on my return back to England that I decided I would love to 'dig' deeper into becoming a teacher in Pattaya or Chon Buri.

The arrangement, I duly accomplished. I made a few friends with the members of staff of the TEFL schools. We discussed at length, my opportunities, and rewards. The staff at the schools I visited were also very nice towards me. One school even wanted me to start there and then! Alas, I could not at that time. I am now back in England, about to return on a 'one way' ticket, on or around the 16th April. My Non Immigrant Visa –B, I have to collect from Hull on the 11th April.

I noted a post in the Teaching Forum mentioning the fact that a new law has been passed in Thailand to the effect that, a Police Clearance Form is now required and to be handed to the school concerned. This applies to all new TEFL Teachers. In the UK, you must allow up to 40 days to receive the Police Check, through the post. It is necessary to go to your local Police Station and request the form for completion. And return, duly signed by a person 'in good standing' i.e.: a solicitor, teacher or a member of the church, similar to a priest, vicar etc. This must be returned to the same police station accompanied with a fee of £10. The school, in Thailand, then passes this form to the Thai Authorities, and they have a maximum time to do so, which is three months from the date of issue. I have yet to receive my clearance, with about 10 days to the final 40th day.

Time is now approaching rather quickly for my return, I am about to pay my deposit to the TEFL school, book my air ticket, collect my visa and countless other tasks to accomplish. I have elderly parents, alive, in the UK. I do have also two brothers who live here in the UK. It is now that I am experiencing 'cold feet' symptoms, which I am sure is natural and many of you, no doubt, experienced similar symptoms before your departure for Thailand on a 'one way' ticket.

I look to you, as 'new found' friends, to assure me that I will be made welcome in Thailand. I look forward to any advice, no matter how great or small, you may be able to offer me. And maybe, one day, meet, as I will initially be teaching in Chon Buri, and visiting Pattaya frequently. I am happy to discuss more if anyone wishes to email me.

Michael

Hello,

May I thank you for reading my post and also for your comments and advice. I have also made new contacts already, for which, I am truly grateful. I look forward to meeting some of you in the not too distant future.

I will be leaving the UK on Tuesday 17th April.

Thank you so much, once again.

Miichael

Hello,

May I thank you for reading my post and also for your comments and advice. I have also made new contacts already, for which, I am truly grateful. I look forward to meeting some of you in the not too distant future.

I will be leaving the UK on Tuesday 17th April.

Thank you so much, once again.

Miichael

Micheal, a late reply. Welcome to the TV club. Ignore Maigo6, he's out to convince everyone he's right and his opinion is the only one that counts.

Always remember how you feel/felt about Thailand now. I'm not being negative, it's just a part of life and human nature you will have ups and downs (not ment to be a pun). When you get to the point of saying Thailand has changed and your telling your drinking mates or partner, "just look on the street, the Thai's do not smile back at you like they used too." Remember, the one who is not smiling any more is you! Getting wrapped up in the daily trails of life can get you down as they do anywhere, dig deep and make sure they know us farang are still friendly too. I remember walking quickly to get home in a very very heavy August downpour, I was tucked under a decent sized umbrella when I literally ran into an Elephant mid soi. I was really angry. Only when I got home did I realise how trivial and stupid I was, getting wound up for no reason and thought back to when I say my first elephant strolling the streets :o . I think of this anytime I get woundup, and still to this day take the little bad in my stride and am thankful for all the great pleasures Thailand people and country have given me (including 2 beautiful daughters)...Jay :D