Farang Smokers

tuky

Do you smoke?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I smoke far too much, had one of those horrid coughs for a little while... really hate smoking but unfortunately i dont seem to posses the willpower to stop...

maybe i'm just a lost cause

Yes, Mr. English, of course I have to quit, as we all do.

Could it indeed be so, that one's willpower gets less in Thailand?

Wanting something, working for something, is never a guarantee that you get want you want. Living in a culture based on Fatalism, Buddhism, an institutionalised unpredictability, a mentality of laissez-faire laissez-passer, where does one need a will for? You might be dead to-morrow. Yes, a last will one maybe, but if that is going to work is something you'll never find out. So why bother?

And the financial aspect is important as well. On one package a day I save about 180 Baht which is the equivalent of three bottles of Heineken. So my drinking is budgettary a neutral affair thanks to my smoking.

Ughe, ughe, ughe!

It is that cough, isn't it, that bothers me.

9$ a pack in Canada. Wanted too quit after moving here but at 1$ or so a pack... I'm actually sick and tired of it but the addiction is so strong, quitting weed was so much easier.

I smoke LM kheows, menthol, due to the fact that I hate the taste of what I've tried here so far. Menthol just hides it.

Those menthols are worse Penz, not only do you get Lung Cancer but Frost bite as well :o

:o Am still smoking at 66 years & have been for the last 49 yrs, And yes the prices have have made me try to quit, But the nicotine is in my system for so long quitting is like going into withdrawal from addictive drugs, I finally found a supplier that imports from India that charges what i can afford, I think being raised in an enviornment where smoking was not frowned on & later starts raising prices to induce people to quit is really tragic, As the longtime smoker is the least likely able to afford the increased taxes.

:D Am still smoking at 66 years & have been for the last 49 yrs, And yes the prices have have made me try to quit, But the nicotine is in my system for so long quitting is like going into withdrawal from addictive drugs, I finally found a supplier that imports from India that charges what i can afford, I think being raised in an enviornment where smoking was not frowned on & later starts raising prices to induce people to quit is really tragic, As the longtime smoker is the least likely able to afford the increased taxes.

Nicotine is an addictive drug make no mistake there :o

I smoked for 18 years , when I gave up last September I was smoking 50 a day.To say the least I was in a bad way.

I found the number of an English Hypnotist in Pattaya ,the best 2500 baht I ever spent.

Never smoked or stressed about it since and I've even stopped coughing up fried eggs in the morning

If anyone wants his number , pm me and I will gladly pass it on. :o

I PMd you and am waiting/smoking for the reply :D . Thanks in Advance.

I smoke cigarettes and cigars, I drink both whiskey and beer, and enjoy the company of ladies. I also do spicy food, red meat, and coffee by the pot. I enjoy what I do and do not intend to quit anything.

AND, if you don't like it...Well, I really don't give a shit. :o

Well a lot of fags is bent and some on their knees.5555

I started smoking by stealing my grandpa's Bag of Bull Durham and wheat straw papers and rolling em up down by the creek,,about 5 years of age and have smoked every chance I got ever since,am 71 years old now , do have some enfazime,but that might be from a lot of things I have done for a living in my life,

I used to buy featherhead made cigs out of canada made by the indians there and sold on the reservation in the states for $16 a carton, and when I came here and finished the carton that I brought,I started to smoke Gold City and still smoke a pack everyday and I will continue to smoke til the day after they put me in the oven at the WAT, I guess it take a day to cool down enough.

Hi Lee Glad ya made it..

Kevin, Iv'e seen your photo and if I can look as good as you at 71, well, I may start smoking again.:o

Well Thanks sendbaht, that comes from always drinking what ever was available when I drank,always carrying a gun and doing a lot of shooting and getting layed everytime I could,plus a lot of smoking what ever was available. :D

I smoke menthol fags out here but don't in the U.K.

Is that Fag with the US meaning, or the UK?

That's inevitability for you - someone had to say it didn't they. :o

Here's my next post...

I don't like the soft packets out here in Thailand because by the end of the day my fags are all bent. :D

Nothing worse than bent fags :D

I am so so jealous of those of you who have quit, I just cannot get a handle on it, just retired and smoking more, the cost is trivial at 65bht a pack so Ive got me up to 50 a day and I know full well its gonna get me, if the booze does not get me first.

I gave up foe 3 years once, but they say "once a smoker-always a smoker" I dont beleive it, but I dont even bother to regulate myself, iff I am on the piss I need 40 to get me through the night, when I fly I use nicotine patches. My poor GF has to sit in the sweltering heat on Roadside Cafe's because I can't go in air conditioned ones if I want to smoke AND I ALWAYS DO, I am selfish to the extreme, even if going on bus journeys, wont go if I cant smoke, if I am going up north on a train, I am the first one in the bar/reataurant even befiore the train leaves the station.

I constantly cough and am constantly ill, everone tells me, "why can't you give up like me" I beleive I have an addictive personality, drink, alcohol etc, anything that is bad for me I LOVE, Why?

Sorry to go on like this but I have only just stopped working and said to myself "Right no more stress-no reason to keep on with these stupid addictions" Why do I want to kill myself I have everything a man could wish for (you all know what I mean) but I just can't help mysef-more time= more fags and booze.

Congratulations to those who have made it, I will have to work it out for myself or I will be visiting the family Wat a lot sooner than I want to, is it not the case that you hear of so many people who when they have at last acheived everything they want- they go right ahead and kill themselves, becase they have more time to do it.?

As I say sorry for the long post, but I feel better for geting ouit out of my system.

Now wher is that goddam lighter

Well do not feel like you are alone in this.

I know a guy that had enfazema so bad that he used about 4 kinds of inhalers and couldn't even walk to the bathroom without stopping every 10 feet to catch his breath, Tried acupuncture a few times and Hypnotism 3 or 4 times,the poor bastard just couldn't quit and it was killing him. I sure didn't want him to die as he was married to one of my X-wives and I wasn't paying alimony, He was up at my cabin I had in the rocky mountains in northern Idaho in 93 and he had been quit 1 week then, I talked to him again last week and he is still not smoking. I guess that you gotta be serious about wanting to stop,I was never able to do it ,but I only tried one time,and patches will not work and same with Zyban that costs you $80 a pop.

Nicotine is the same type addiction as heroin,you get a rush when you light up,and you get a rush when you shoot up. Nicotine is very addictive but you could quit if they could find something to give you the rush as thats the thing that stops trans-dermal and everything else from working for you,,they thought that Zyban would work as it is an anti-depressant,but it doesn't do the job.And if you do manage to quit,like heroin,it will still be with you for 10 years before you can say you are safe.

I smoke too. Maybe not a heavy smoker , a pack of marlborough reds every two days, alot more if i am on the turps . Funny i actaully stopped smoking for 2 years but when came to Thailand took it up again with the stress of looking after a young baby and that goes with it (smoke outside of course:) ) The price has alot to do with it as well . Last time i was back in Aussie it was 7 dollars a packet, omly 55 baht here.

Anyone know if u can buy nicotene chewing gum in the kingdom? A certain brand i used and kept me off the cancer sticks.

Kinda sad when the best thing about waking up in the morning is the first smoke.

After reading this thread, I'm getting a little nervous - as a smoker.

I'll be coming over next month and my pack a day Marlboro habit is coming with me.

For those of you who still smoke: Is there a brand that I can easily get in LOS that resembles Marlboro's? Yes, the reds, no I can't quit (been doing it almost 25 years now) and the idea of not getting them makes me want to light up right now!

Is there a brand that I can easily get in LOS that resembles Marlboro's?  Yes, the reds,...

You'll find them in the cities on any corner. Also lights and menthol, I think.

l don't smoke them myself but should be around Euro 1.10 a pack.

Can as well bring in 1 carton duty-free or better buy after arrival in BKK-airpoort, latest after immigration before customs control, Baht 480 a carton, I think.

350 T. You can buy NICODENT here very easy, but it never did me any good..

lissy; The marlboro that you buy here cost a little more than Thai cigs, but are made by the Thai Tobacco Monoply so are no different than most Thai cigs, I used to smoke marlboro reds in the States,til I found a cig that was comparable on the indian res. that was less than half the price of marlboro.

Since coming to thailand I have been smoking GOLD CITY,and they are about the same as what you now smoke,at least better than the more expensive Thai marlboro. I pay 35 TBH a pack and Ms are about 55 and the out of bond Ms that you buy once in a while will be more.

In LAOS the ones you can get are out of bond,so are the same USA made that you smoke now.

######, good thing i quit. I used to smoke marlboro menthol lights, it would probably cost too much to buy there. But cigs are getting expensive here in the states as well. 1 pak for $5, i remember when they use to be $3.

######, good thing i quit. I used to smoke marlboro menthol lights, it would probably cost too much to buy there. But cigs are getting expensive here in the states as well. 1 pak for $5, i remember when they use to be $3.

Ya must be a bit younger than me then,I cam remember when a bag of BULL DURHAM or GOLDEN GRAIN was a 5 cents and ready rolls were 15 cents.

Could drive to the store and put 5 gallons of gas in my 29 BUICK coupe,get a pack of LUCKY STRIKES and pay a total of $1.15,couldn't afford to smoke anywhere cept here as cigs is only 25 to 40 baht a pack.

KevinN Posted on Thu 2004-06-10, 08:57:07

Ya must be a bit younger than me then,I cam remember when a bag of BULL DURHAM or GOLDEN GRAIN was a 5 cents and ready rolls were 15 cents.

Could drive to the store and put 5 gallons of gas in my 29 BUICK coupe,get a pack of LUCKY STRIKES and pay a total of $1.15,couldn't afford to smoke anywhere cept here as cigs is only 25 to 40 baht a pack.

I am in my 20s. Wow, ready rolls were 15cents? lol that was cheap. But im not too good with converting "baht" to "dollars", so i really dont know how much 40baht is. But by what Bronco said, im thinking he meant 350baht is $10, a pack? Geesh, its about $18 for a carton here.