Annual Renewal Of Visa Based On New Tax

We just got a letter from the local Immigration office confirmed by the local Village Chief, that effective upon the next request for extension of stay based on marriage for any farang, the Thai wife or Thai husband, will have to pay a 40,000 Baht annual tax. I asked around and it seems that the Government want a to establish this fee as a tax on the lifestyle improvements that our wives are experiencing. The letter went on to say that any divorces (proably based on this new rule) will have a fee of 120,000 Baht, effectively immediately. The intent of the divorce fee is to stabilize the situation and not cause immediate mass hysteria and long lines at the local Government offices. Napong Lingphotllian of my counties government, after being contacted, stated that the 120,000 baht divorce fee was being enforced due to the potential loss of income that Thailand would experience as the wives divorce their husbands en masse and while they stayed single. A Honey Tax based on a Thai residing with a farang, on a regular basis, is also in the making and is rumored to be equally costly, to be released within weeks.

Edited by mouse

We just got a letter from the local Immigration office confirmed by the local Village Chief, that effective upon the next request for extension of stay based on marriage for any farang, the Thai wife or Thai husband, will have to pay a 40,000 Baht annual tax. I asked around and it seems that the Government want a to establish this fee as a tax on the lifestyle improvements that our wives are experiencing. The letter went on to say that any divorces (proably based on this new rule) will have a fee of 120,000 Baht, effectively immediately. The intent of the divorce fee is to stabilize the situation and not cause immediate mass hysteria and long lines at the local Government offices. Napong Lingphotllian of my counties government, after being contacted, stated that the 120,000 baht divorce fee was being enforced due to the potential loss of income that Thailand would experience as the wives divorce their husbands en masse and while they stayed single. A Honey Tax based on a Thai residing with a farang, on a regular basis, is also in the making and is rumored to be equally costly, to be released within weeks.

:o