DeeMoney OTP Strikes Again

6 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I was pretty much done with getting a Bangkok Bank Western Union account but then I ran into two "minor" issues.  One they also require an OTP and two when I phone them they said their WU is a one way street, receiving only!

Try Krung Sri (Bank of Ayudhya) and/or Krung Thai .  See this SE post regarding Vietnam, which could mostly be applied to your situation also.

6 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Understood, but my banks are in the US where they currently cannot transfer to and my Philippine account is not until I move there.

Ok.   Maybe TransferWise can give you a better deal.  There were also some companies like DeeMoney that would allow transfer for local pickup....I will try to find that information as it varies from country to country.

I  am trying to get money out of my Thai bank.  I believe Transferwise does not do that.  And DeeMoney is what started this thread.  I need to transfer out AFTER I leave Thailand and that is where the OTP issue comes up.  It looks like the only way to do is for me to get a cheap prepaid sim, turn on roaming and give DeeMoney that number.

57 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I  am trying to get money out of my Thai bank.  I believe Transferwise does not do that.  And DeeMoney is what started this thread.  I need to transfer out AFTER I leave Thailand and that is where the OTP issue comes up.  It looks like the only way to do is for me to get a cheap prepaid sim, turn on roaming and give DeeMoney that number.

Why can't you take it out now and then take it with you?  That would seem easy.  Or take out now and use DeeMoney to transfer to your US account per post that they can do this again starting on Dec 24th?

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Why can't you take it out now and then take it with you?  That would seem easy.  Or take out now and use DeeMoney to transfer to your US account per post that they can do this again starting on Dec 24th?

Because I will need to pay a couple of bills after I leave and I will be getting some security deposits returned to my account also after I leave.  So, as I said earlier, I will probably have ~ ฿50,000 left in the account.  Not a fortune but not throw away either.  I am gradually drawing down my balance and will probably take most of what is left or transfer it just before I leave.  I will not have a bank account in the Philippines for a while and I don't really want to keep a ton of cash in a hotel for maybe a month.

On 12/24/2019 at 3:05 PM, AAArdvark said:

Understood, but my banks are in the US where they currently cannot transfer to and my Philippine account is not until I move there.

But is seems they can now transfer there - so why not do so and then return to your Thai account if/when needed?  I suspect you could confirm with your Thai bank possibility to use debit card in Philippines as another option.  

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But is seems they can now transfer there - so why not do so and then return to your Thai account if/when needed?  I suspect you could confirm with your Thai bank possibility to use debit card in Philippines as another option.  

I lost money to get my money into my Thai bank.  Transferring back and forth to the US would cause more expenses.  I have mentioned earlier that my plan A is to use my debit card in the Philippines.  The bank says "it should work there" but I have read hit and miss reports about using Bangkok Bank debit cards outside of Thailand. Some say no problem while others say they could not get it to work.  So I am looking for a plan B.  I certainly don't want to spend ฿10,000 + to fly back to Thailand including staying for a few days. 

32 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I lost money to get my money into my Thai bank.  Transferring back and forth to the US would cause more expenses.  I have mentioned earlier that my plan A is to use my debit card in the Philippines.  The bank says "it should work there" but I have read hit and miss reports about using Bangkok Bank debit cards outside of Thailand. Some say no problem while others say they could not get it to work.  So I am looking for a plan B.  I certainly don't want to spend ฿10,000 + to fly back to Thailand including staying for a few days. 

You have the new MasterCard of Bangkok Bank I suspect and indeed have seen mixed reports - but in the Philippines any card is likely to be a bit hit or miss as ATM system is not very reliable from reports I have seen.  Believe flights back/return might be less than 6k and you have to pay to stay in either country I suspect so it might be an option once everything is in order and might be cost effective as a HHE buying trip once you have the SRRV free duty option.