Goat raising increasing but still not enough to meet demand: Livestock Dept

webfact

On 12/27/2019 at 3:07 AM, webfact said:

Sorawit Thanito, director-general of the Livestock Development Department said this week that the goat market in Thailand has been growing exponentially with increasing demand for domestic consumption and export.

“In 2007 Thailand had 38,653 households raising a total of 444,774 goats,” he said. “Last year, we had 65,850 households and 832,533 goats.”

Interesting new market 

On 12/28/2019 at 6:17 AM, cfhebertjr said:

Our goat milk is priced based on market value and what it cost's to raise goats. Hamza farm in Chiang Mai has a ridiculously expensive price. Yana farms is in Makro and other HiSo markets. Awful tasting milk because they simply take the cheap milk from farmers, bottle it and stick a label on it. No comparison taste or costwise to our milk. 

You say "Goat cheese non existent" You are not looking very hard. I know of at least 4 possibly 5 producers. I do agree that TDLD is doing us goat farmers no real service. Muslim populate all areas of Thailand. One from Mae Sot buys most of our culls and males annually but we are a dairy goat farm not meant for meat. Nubian goats are a multi purpose animal and have excellent milk (high butterfat) and meat. We raise only purebred AGDA registered Nubian now. 

Thai don't eat cheese and most farang are too "cheap" charlie to pay what it costs to produce. We don't do it for the money but it is nice to hear someone say "oh my, that's a nice cheese". 

https://www.facebook.com/Phukamyaogoats/?ref=bookmarks

My daughter is allergic to cow milk so we have been buying and endless flow of goat milk for the past 5 year. Only Yana and Sirichai (UHT) goat milk is available at Central, but I will love to try some alternative.

Is your milk and/or cheese available in Bangkok?

22 hours ago, SteveK said:

I wish that there would be a glut of goat meat. At least it has some flavour. Sick and tired of blooming pork. I've got an excellent curry goat recipe here.

I had an excellent goat curry stew in Jamaica and very tasty goat stew in the mountains of Mexico in a remote village on the drive to Mazatlan.

My French neighbor here in village outside of Chiang Rai was raising goats for awhile, smelly creatures they were and would eat many ornamental plants but not all and not all the weeds, but the chickens and roosters being raised there now are worse on the grass, they have denuded all the ground of every blade and scatter dirt everywhere they feed.  I could do without either as neighbors, the French man is ok though.

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2019 at 6:33 AM, cfhebertjr said:

It takes about 3 years to build a good herd. We are in our fourth year and are in a rebuilding phase with purebred registered animals from Texas. Ours will produce 4 to 5 times that of a local Thai animal. It's all about DNA. Fewer goats require less input all around. Much more cost efficient. 

You have goats from Texas ?how do you get on with tic born disease ,Babesia and Anaplasmosis, can be a very high mortality rate ,as they will have no immunity  to Thai ticks.  

On 12/27/2019 at 5:53 PM, emptypockets said:

Didn't realise the Freemasons were such a growth demographic in Thailand.

Issan , has become a  lodge of the brotherhood .

Plus a fair share of drug dealers ? .

Edited by elliss

On 12/28/2019 at 6:33 AM, cfhebertjr said:

It takes about 3 years to build a good herd. We are in our fourth year and are in a rebuilding phase with purebred registered animals from Texas. Ours will produce 4 to 5 times that of a local Thai animal. It's all about DNA. Fewer goats require less input all around. Much more cost efficient. 

Looking at this again ,it is not all DNA ,it is 50% feed ,maybe more ,yes with they breeding they are high milk producers .

In the USA they will be feed a high energy  concentrate and probably Alfalfa hay 18-20 % protein.

Here in Thailand it will be a low energy concentrated and Pangola hay?the hay being 6-7 % protein ,or rice straw 3% protein ,maybe some maize or Nappier grass .

Dairy cow here only milk to 30-50% of they USA /European cousins   even with imported ,mainly  USA seamen,feeding just not good enough.

Would imported goats be the same.

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

You don't know where sonora is? You are joking right?

Yes I was, had never seen the desert/area spelled that way, I googled it and saw it spelled both ways.   You weren't eating a rare Sonoroan Pronghorn sheep were you?   Ha, just kidding.