Visa Run 10 months before present extension expires. Problem?

I am planning a border run to Savannakhet to switch from a Non OA based on retirement to a Non O based on marriage to a Thai.  I am currently married, however my present extension is based on retirement and will expire in October 2020.  I have an opportunity to go with someone who has been to Savannakhet before and apply for a single-entry Non O, which I  would later convert to Non O extension.  I would like to go to Savannakhet sometime this January.  Does anyone see any problems doing this visa switch 10 months before my present extension expires with either the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet or Thai Immigration when I re-enter Thqailand?  Your advice will be appreciated.

You extension ends on the day you leave the country. If you have a re-entry permit it would become valid again when you enter the country.

A embassy or consulate should issue a visa since technically your extension would no longer be valid. But some will not issue one if you still have one.

I suggest you wait until your extension is close to expiring before getting a new visa that really should not be required to change the reason for your extension from retirement to one based upon marriage to a Thai.

• Like 1

Has your immigration office told you that you can not do a marriage extension of stay based on your old OA?  Or maybe they told you that you can but medical insurance would still be required?

I asked my servicing immigration office which is Chaeng Wattana/Bangkok last week via a face-to-face questions to an immigration officer in the long stay section a couple of questions.

With my OA Visa from Christmas past can I switch from a retirement extension of stay to a "marriage extension of stay?"  The answer was Yes.   

With the OA Visa from Christmas past in my passport when applying for the "marriage extension of stay" will I need to have medical insurance.  The answer was No.

More info here:

• Like 1

Is your reason for change the insurance requirement? Consider waiting till Oct 2020 to see if this mess is sorted and insurance won't be applied to extensions based on retirement. 

BTW you could simply leave without reentry permit and be given visa exempt and then do "conversion" to non o inside Thailand at imm

6 hours ago, Reang said:

I am planning a border run to Savannakhet to switch from a Non OA based on retirement to a Non O based on marriage to a Thai.  I am currently married, however my present extension is based on retirement and will expire in October 2020.

Why waste 10 months of your current permit to stay? Nothing will change with your current O-A based stay permit, and Non Immigrant O visas for spouses will still be available in October.

In your case there is no need to do a border run, and go through the hassle of applying for a different Visa category.

When your current OA - retirement Visa based permission to stay almost expires (in 10 months), you can simply apply for an extension of stay but this time not for reason of retirement, but for reason of marriage.

You would of course need to provide evidence of you being married. 

But no health insurance required, and financials to be proved considerably lower.

Note: As it is conversion of Visa type, on approval the permission to stay will will not be added to your present permission to stay, but will start from the date of application.  Hence it is best to apply close to expiry date of your present permission to stay.