New Computer Time!

Nikkijah

Despite my other thread about wanting a cute little laptop for my travels I am also after a desktop to help with my home-based work.

I do a lot of photo editing, have multiple browser windows/tabs open at the same time, often am playing games which don't require huge amounts of memory but I wouldn't mind having the capability to do so!

I am a quick pc user and my pc at the moment is struggling with my requirements, I currently have an old Novatech laptop with XP Pro sp2, Pentium 4, 3.06GHz, 1.00GB RAM and it has performed well for over 4 years, however, it is starting to moan and freeze and groan :o

I have tried every trick in the book to speed her up but she's not having any of it and really wants to give up on me :D

So, instead of telling everybody what I want, I have told you why I want it, can any of you help me now?

I would obviously like to conquer the world with my new PC(the one you are going to help me assemble) but I understand that my requirements are not that great, I don't want to downgrade from what I use at the moment either though!

I have read some other threads on this forum regarding specs Its time for a new computer can you... but this info seems a little dated.

I would like to spend around B30-40,000 and I would like a nice looking, smallish box, preferably a SFF style box but I'm fairly flexible, I would love to get a machine that is silent or at least a lot quieter than my current pc - the fan never stops :D

I'm currently in Spain on business but I have to travel back to the UK before I fly back out to Thailand so maybe some of you have suggestions on where I can go in the UK for the gear I need, but it is more than likely that most of you will know of a reliable & honest dealership in Bangkok??

Please please guide me, I'm totally lost :D

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nikkijah :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For multitasking like that you'll want a dual core processor. Either Intel or AthlonX2 are fine. A 256mb graphics card (ATI seems to have fewer driver issues these days) and 2GB of RAM. This will get you through a couple years at least. When selecting a dual core processor remember that clock speed isn't compared the same as it is on single cores. They tend to have a lower clock speed, but can process double the amount of data at that clock speed. Front side bus (FSB) speed is an issue, I would not get a processor with a slower FSB than 800.

Right now I'm running an Acer Aspire with a dual core AthlonX2 and it runs very quiet. The old Pentium 3s that run Linux are actually louder than the Acer. Other than a sluggish network card that I'm getting rid of tomorrow, I'm very pleased with the latest Acer line.

If you don't know much about hardware I would not get one custom built or build one yourself, I've seen too many people sold machines full of hardware with poor compatibility and no real warranty to fall back on. Many dealers just sell you hardware based on profit margins over quality.

For multitasking like that you'll want a dual core processor. Either Intel or AthlonX2 are fine. A 256mb graphics card (ATI seems to have fewer driver issues these days) and 2GB of RAM. This will get you through a couple years at least. When selecting a dual core processor remember that clock speed isn't compared the same as it is on single cores. They tend to have a lower clock speed, but can process double the amount of data at that clock speed. Front side bus (FSB) speed is an issue, I would not get a processor with a slower FSB than 800.

Right now I'm running an Acer Aspire with a dual core AthlonX2 and it runs very quiet. The old Pentium 3s that run Linux are actually louder than the Acer. Other than a sluggish network card that I'm getting rid of tomorrow, I'm very pleased with the latest Acer line.

If you don't know much about hardware I would not get one custom built or build one yourself, I've seen too many people sold machines full of hardware with poor compatibility and no real warranty to fall back on. Many dealers just sell you hardware based on profit margins over quality.

Thanks cdnvic, could I trust a dealer in Pantip, for example, to not rip me off because of my lack of knowledge?

Could I go to one of these shops with the spec you've suggested and get something decent for my budget of B30,000ish?

Thanks cdnvic, could I trust a dealer in Pantip, for example, to not rip me off because of my lack of knowledge?

No

Could I go to one of these shops with the spec you've suggested and get something decent for my budget of B30,000ish?

Shouldn't be a problem. I'm not there at the moment so you'd be better off getting exact price quotes from someone else. I paid about 20,000baht for the machine I described in Canada, and though Thailand is more expensive for computers, it shouldn't be that much worse.

For your information, I go one last week

Cost me 30500 baht without the monitor, plus i give nice tip of the guy who put it together!

Bought in Pantip, from IT fever.

Have external hard drive.

Video card as I do not play games and lot of graphic was I the low range !

Here is the hardware :

> Mainboard : Asus P5B-E ( usb 8 )

> Chipset : Intel Corporation

> Processor : Intel Pentium Duo 935 @ 3200 MHz

> Physical Memory : 2048 MB

> Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon X550 Series

> Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB) internal

> Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB) external

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22L ( writer )

> CD-Rom Drive : LITE-ON CD R LH52R1P

> Monitor Type : SONY SDM-HS75P - 17 inchs

I add a internal modem / fax to be able to received and send fax as true modem do not let me do that ! and the new thecnologie do not have the port for my old modem .

Who on earth can I trust then??

This is an issue for me, I'm fed up with people trying to rip me off whenever I want to buy something! :o

Can anybody recommend an honest shop to me?? Preferably in Bangkok

You can be sure to get rip off, if they know more about computers as you do (and thats not sure).

If you are not too far away from Panthip. Go there, many have these papers with CPU: HD: Grapikcard:....

Ask some of them and post that in the forum and let us check it.

my experience last time was that the shops in the shops up are cheaper than these on the ground.

Not sure if it is still an issue (or my info outdated) but normaly you need 2 pcs Ram as they are faster than 1 pcs but shops like to save 100 Baht on that.

I usually prefer to let them install everything and winxp and check if the "Device Manager" looks happy

Cost me 30500 baht without the monitor, plus i give nice tip of the guy who put it together!

Here is the hardware :

I add a internal modem / fax to be able to received and send fax as true modem do not let me do that ! and the new thecnologie do not have the port for my old modem .

That sounds reasonable enough simcity, but what do I know!? I read that you shouldn't but anything other than a well known name CD-DVD. Is that an Hitachi you bought? Can anyone tell me if they're at the top or not?... Your physical memory is large enough too, in fact, your whole deal sounds pretty fair but I don't know enough about all these components to be able to tell the worth/value/bargain.

Someone also said that radeon wasn't all that either, I'm not having a go at you simcity but I just want to know that my money is going on the higher range gear and not gear that does the job for the first 6 months and then 'something' happens!

On the other hand, I've heard good reports of the asus mb you bought and you seem to have a nice stack of processing power so good luck to you! :o

h90, I'll be sure to do what you said, I'll get a quote and post it here, watch this space.

A Traveller, I'll check out fortune mall too, thanks for your suggestion

Hi Nikkijah,

If you're going to go to Pantip then have a look in IT City. It's right up on the top floor. I have brought my last three computers from there (all Laptops but they have desktops as well) and found the service to be extremely good. Also everything is a marked price so you can see what everything is going to cost beforehand. The would certainly not be the cheapest in the plaza but I have got a one year international warranty with all my machines as well as the two year local warranty. I had to get a DVD drive replaced under warranty a couple of years ago and had no problems at all. I just dropped it off, explained to the guy what the problem was and that it was under warranty, then came back a few days later and picked it up.

The price marked is the price for everyone although you can do a bit of wheeling and dealing and get some extra software thrown in if you want. Everything is new and not second hand and re-bundled. I always go back there due to the fact that I won't get ripped off and the service is, as I said, extremely good. Each to their own though but it may be worth a look if your worried about the rip off factor and getting s/h goods instead of new ones and you want to buy in Bangkok.

Cheers

Jimmy

Here is the hardware :

That sounds reasonable enough simcity, but what do I know!? I read that you shouldn't but anything other than a well known name CD-DVD. Is that an Hitachi you bought? Can anyone tell me if they're at the top or not?... Your physical memory is large enough too, in fact, your whole deal sounds pretty fair but I don't know enough about all these components to be able to tell the worth/value/bargain.

Someone also said that radeon wasn't all that either, I'm not having a go at you simcity but I just want to know that my money is going on the higher range gear and not gear that does the job for the first 6 months and then 'something' happens!

On the other hand, I've heard good reports of the asus mb you bought and you seem to have a nice stack of processing power so good luck to you! :o

h90, I'll be sure to do what you said, I'll get a quote and post it here, watch this space.

No Hitachi , it is a LG

ODD LG DVD RW In 18x superMulti Lightscribe White

everything working fine

the video card was not expensive , i could have kick few thousand more , but do not need the computer for graphic ( light ) or games

the 2 gig ram / the duo @3200 / external drive / intel was the expensive part

I am not sure about the drive , think it is corsair

I did not go over the top , perhaps 70 % of the best

Hi Nikkijah,

If you're going to go to Pantip then have a look in IT City. It's right up on the top floor. I have brought my last three computers from there (all Laptops but they have desktops as well) and found the service to be extremely good. Also everything is a marked price so you can see what everything is going to cost beforehand. The would certainly not be the cheapest in the plaza but I have got a one year international warranty with all my machines as well as the two year local warranty. I had to get a DVD drive replaced under warranty a couple of years ago and had no problems at all. I just dropped it off, explained to the guy what the problem was and that it was under warranty, then came back a few days later and picked it up.

The price marked is the price for everyone although you can do a bit of wheeling and dealing and get some extra software thrown in if you want. Everything is new and not second hand and re-bundled. I always go back there due to the fact that I won't get ripped off and the service is, as I said, extremely good. Each to their own though but it may be worth a look if your worried about the rip off factor and getting s/h goods instead of new ones and you want to buy in Bangkok.

Cheers

Jimmy

Good advice Jimmy, so you think I'll still get what I want for the price I want to pay?

Here is the hardware :

No Hitachi , it is a LG

ODD LG DVD RW In 18x superMulti Lightscribe White

everything working fine

the video card was not expensive , i could have kick few thousand more , but do not need the computer for graphic ( light ) or games

the 2 gig ram / the duo @3200 / external drive / intel was the expensive part

I am not sure about the drive , think it is corsair

I did not go over the top , perhaps 70 % of the best

Fair enough sir, sounds good :D

I gave very specific specs to a friend to go buy components from a computer mall, and the shop still gave him several wrong things. The most notable was that he got a HT Pentium 4 instead of a dual core (very different things).

Your usage habits (photo editing, tons of open windows (~20+~40/firefox/opera), and some gaming) is pretty much the same as mine. A budget of around 30k will get you a fairly good system, but you'll be skimping on a lot of important components, especially the case and power supply. Increase the budget to 40k and you'll be doing pretty well.

You'll need:

Dual core. I recommend Intel for stability/bang/performance, and an Asus P5B mainboard to go with it.

A ~5000 baht-ish graphics card. Will perform good enough.

2GB of RAM. Yeah. For lotsa programs/photo editing, nothing beats a lot of RAM.

A good case/PSU.

Prices you can check at www.hwhinter.com. Has branches in every computer mall, and price are typical of Pantip.

Edited by Firefoxx

AMD guys will always be AMD guys. Intel guys will always be Intel guys. Let's not argue.

I'm only loyal to what works best for me at the time of purchase. I've got 2 Pentiums and one Athlon in front of me at the moment. (Actually, one is off to the side to be perfectly accurate.)

• 1 month later...

Right, I'm arriving back in Thailand at the beginning of June and I want to get this new PC of mine, I've found the monitor I'm after, it's a 20.1" Viewsonic LCD, any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure I want to get such a high spec machine but I do want the capacity to upgrade in the future, I want to use the internet, photoshop, watch videos and have a fairly fast system but I don't want to spend more than about B20,000, is this possible? I would also like to get a nice looking and quiet tower :o

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Nikkijah :D

For several years, myself and friends have been buying laptops at Global Solutions, Pantip.

They have several shops in there.

Have had good experiences at the service dept. too.

If you can stand pushing past all the rude porn, dvd, software, hustlers that block the escalators.

I think CDNVIC gave you good advice early in the thread which you

perhaps missed.

He suggested getting a brand name system rather than a home brew job

if you are not all that familiar with the technology.

The reasons being that it is easier to avoid being ripped of with a brand name

since you just compare prices of the same model at various shops.

Also there is less chance of incompatibility between components

than with a home brew.

Naka.

I think CDNVIC gave you good advice early in the thread which you

perhaps missed.

He suggested getting a brand name system rather than a home brew job

if you are not all that familiar with the technology.

The reasons being that it is easier to avoid being ripped of with a brand name

since you just compare prices of the same model at various shops.

Also there is less chance of incompatibility between components

than with a home brew.

Naka.

That is good advice but I'm a bit bothered about getting a bundle of things I don't really need, the previous laptop I had built by a company in Portsmouth and they built me a beast for good money, I'm going to take a pc savvy friend to MBK to check out what I can get for my money, hopefully he'll lead me in the right direction

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/product/?pid=18625

try this or similar

great spec for the price, small case and great look

we got one like this (also hp, similar spec) for our office recently

runs very quiet, fast, had no problem for 2 months (knocking on wood )))

just up and running 24/7 with as file, print, fax server and being used for office work, graphics and watching movies

capable to run games like quake4 and BF2 smoothly on medium settings or higher

the best thing about it - a really great bright and sharp 19inch widescreen display - want to have the same one for my laptop now ))

i assmbled quite a lot of pcs in the past and this is the first brand name desktop i bought

no regrets, good quality, good value for money, lots of time saved

the display is included in the price thought the specs in the page miss it

That looks like a lot of PC for my money, do you think I can pick and choose between components as I don't really need some of the bits inside:

ITU V.92 K56 flex modem

Most of the card readers

Keyboard

Mouse

And if it is offering an external drive I won't be needing one of them either, will taking these components out be possible?

Nikkijah :o

I ordered mine by catalog in a computer shop on Koh Samui

there were about 10 different configurations from 25 to 45 thousand baht approximately

so you can choose from the models

the card reader is actually a small unit on the front panel with 4 slots for different card types of which there is such a long list

I don't think the supplier will give a discount for canceling mouse, kb or modem (modem is btw very basic - no voice functions) - i suppose worth a thousend baht altogether

however there is an option to choose a monitor - smaller or bigger, widescreen or not

but the default 19" is quite sexy, our office girl loves it ))

I ordered mine by catalog in a computer shop on Koh Samui

there were about 10 different configurations from 25 to 45 thousand baht approximately

so you can choose from the models

the card reader is actually a small unit on the front panel with 4 slots for different card types of which there is such a long list

I don't think the supplier will give a discount for canceling mouse, kb or modem (modem is btw very basic - no voice functions) - i suppose worth a thousend baht altogether

however there is an option to choose a monitor - smaller or bigger, widescreen or not

but the default 19" is quite sexy, our office girl loves it ))

Thanks for that anthos, I'll keep looking :o