New Kid On The Block

Toon Army

News byte?

"InterContinental Hotels Group is to introduce its Holiday Inn brand to Northern Thailand when the Sheraton Chiang Mai becomes the Holiday Inn Chiang Mai on 1 April 2007.

Jan Smits, chief operating officer, Southern Asia and Korea, InterContinental Hotels Group Asia Pacific, said: “There is a strong and growing demand for branded mid-scale hotel accommodation in Chiang Mai, a lively and prosperous city that is widely regarded as a gateway into Northern Thailand and the Mekong region. Right in the heart of the action is Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, which will undoubtedly appeal to travellers to this region.”

The hotel is owned by the Chiangmai Riverside Plaza Hotel Co., Ltd. One of the company’s owners, Kasem Shaikh, said: ”With the strength of a respected industry leader like InterContinental Hotels Group and the appeal of a world-renowned brand like Holiday Inn, we are confident that the rebranded hotel will be a great success.

Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts is the world’s most recognised hotel brand and the winner of Business Traveller Asia Pacific’s Best Mid-Market Hotel Brand in Asia Pacific and Best Mid-Market Hotel Brand in the World awards for six consecutive years. Holiday Inn Chiang Mai will be the sixth Holiday Inn hotel in Thailand."

Obviously the Shereton's Dim Sum wasn't up to scratch! :o

Obviously the Shereton's Dim Sum wasn't up to scratch! :o

Doesn't seem to matter very much who puts the badge on the front of the property, the same staff seem to have been there since it was the Westin. Doubt the Dim Sum will change now it is a Holiday Inn, unless they want to take it down market and serve the cheap, frozen, prepackaged stuff.

The original Holiday Inn was on the Superhighway not far along from the Rincome. They sold out many years ago, and it became the "Amity Green Hills" That ran for some years till it in turn was sold the the current owner, who has refurbished it, and renamed it the "Chiangmai Grandview"

I think Intercontinental Hotels operate three levels of Holiday Inns. The standard ones in the USA are full service, with restaurant, bar, and usually a pool. The cheaper ones are "Holiday Inn Express," and may not have those listed services. Then there is Crowne Plaza, a step above (maybe four stars as opposed to three for the standard Holiday Inn). Plus, some SunSpree resorts at beaches.

My boyfriend was in hotel management throughout the 1990's and early 2000's, and considered Holiday Inn to be four star in Thailand. I think that's because he only knew of the Crowne Plaza level.

We shall see if the former Westin/former Sheraton will become three or four stars as a Holiday Inn without the Crowne Plaza name.

If Manuel, the Swiss trained GM continues to manage the hotel under the new brand name, it should maintain its stars.

This last year saw the death of the owner, a Pakistani, but doubt that had anything to do with the brand change.

My information is the hope in changing brands is to take advantage of marketing tie ins not change of management style or facilities.

this news about the rebranding was announced towards the end of last year?

anyway they have more competition coming online soon with 2 hotels in locations within walking distance of the NM.

whats is all the expansion of hotels all about in CM? Obviously they know more about future tourist inflows in CM than we do or was it part of the grand plan from thaksin of CM being the tourist hub of Thailand. With a brand new extention at the CM international, there must be something going on?

perhaps the tourists will be coming for the seasonal magic show of Doi Suthep during feb/march....... now you see it ,now you dont.... :o

Christ, going from Westin to Sheraton to Holiday in within a decade..

I bet the only entity that things it matters a crap what the brand on the wall says is IntercontinentalHotelsGroup itself.

Anyway, keeps them busy I guess.

this news about the rebranding was announced towards the end of last year?

anyway they have more competition coming online soon with 2 hotels in locations within walking distance of the NM.

whats is all the expansion of hotels all about in CM? Obviously they know more about future tourist inflows in CM than we do or was it part of the grand plan from thaksin of CM being the tourist hub of Thailand. With a brand new extention at the CM international, there must be something going on?

perhaps the tourists will be coming for the seasonal magic show of Doi Suthep during feb/march....... now you see it ,now you dont.... :o

I somehow get the feeling that the owners of all of these new hotels and jumbo projects , like the now defunct convention center, were palsy walsy with the former government administration and were planning on making a killing with this being the hometown of the former leader..... they put big bucks into the starting of these projects knowing with Mr. T in the drivers seat that there would be lots of new and big things that he would be putting into his hometown to make a name and $$$$$ for himself...... they went along for and with the ride not thinking that the bubble would break after they committed and jumped in...... once the big man fell out of grace and power , there was no way they could back out as they were years and millions of $$$$ into the game....... so now we wait and see

OMHO

Probably so in some cases but a lot of the Night Bazaar area now owned by Thai Bev (Chang Beer) and I don't think they had much of an alliance to former PM. But they could have been in competition. I was told new Meridian will be one storey higher than the Duangtawan opposite. Anyone want to count, gives me a stiff neck.

Probably so in some cases but a lot of the Night Bazaar area now owned by Thai Bev (Chang Beer) and I don't think they had much of an alliance to former PM. But they could have been in competition. I was told new Meridian will be one storey higher than the Duangtawan opposite. Anyone want to count, gives me a stiff neck.

no thanks. I used to live in the Royal Lanna(across the street) up till about 1 year ago and moved out before the construction got to level 8 or 10, used to be a beautiful view to Doi Suthep in the evenings....well so much for that now.

Im glad I moved out now, another reason was the constant contruction noise, they would pour concrete throughout day and night. :o

post-15912-1176006358_thumb.jpg

post-15912-1176006485_thumb.jpg

post-15912-1176006701_thumb.jpg

post-15912-1176007056_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy

Opp Duangtawan is going to be Meridian

Meridian...thanks....

Ref the height ..on this visit we only had a el cheapo room in the D-2 Wan .(10 nights).on think the 8th floor and the the new one opposite was streached well above us ...very impressive and looks like it will have a pretty smart entrance area as well.

Also doubt if when its finished all those shopping stalls will be allowed to stay ....makes the place look untidy ...dont it...

Also like the big video on the corner ...welcome to CM......its all a go go.......but the red lion was just the same (10 bt up on a pint) :o

Meridian...thanks....

Ref the height ..on this visit we only had a el cheapo room in the D-2 Wan .(10 nights).on think the 8th floor and the the new one opposite was streached well above us ...very impressive and looks like it will have a pretty smart entrance area as well.

Also doubt if when its finished all those shopping stalls will be allowed to stay ....makes the place look untidy ...dont it...

Also like the big video on the corner ...welcome to CM......its all a go go.......but the red lion was just the same (10 bt up on a pint) :D

as far as I understand, the ones hard up against the construction (green?) wall will definately go once the hotel opens. But the ones along the street side will stay.

as for the video screen above the soon to be pizza company store?, whos gonna see that? bugger all people. Most people wont watch that unless walking down against the flow of traffic and on the street and then looking up which maybe a tad dangerous with the traffic on Changklan.

Not well thought out at all, but hey at least its consistant with most things around here. :o

Meridian...thanks....

Also like the big video on the corner ...welcome to CM......its all a go go.......but the red lion was just the same (10 bt up on a pint) :D

as far as I understand, the ones hard up against the construction (green?) wall will definately go once the hotel opens. But the ones along the street side will stay.

as for the video screen above the soon to be pizza company store?, whos gonna see that? bugger all people. Most people wont watch that unless walking down against the flow of traffic and on the street and then looking up which maybe a tad dangerous with the traffic on Changklan.

Not well thought out at all, but hey at least its consistant with most things around here. :o

Have a jug or 3 in the Beer garden of the Sura .w hotel on a barmy summers night and you cant miss any of the the "welcome to CM"...adverts.......nice ....

Tourist wise the place was looking pretty good last week... :D