What Should I Be Looking For In A New Pup?

We called the breeder at the weekend and were delighted to hear that a litter was born on Friday night.

So we plan to go back down to inspect the litter (possibly this weekend maybe the week after) and hopefully book our Golden Retriever puppy

We would not actually take one though until they are at least 2 months old, in fact the breeder wouldnt let us even if we wanted to (which to me reassuring).

I have already seen the Sire and he was a lovely dog, nice personality, very energetic running after a ball etc walked well with no signs of a funny gait. I have not seen the mother yet though but willbe looking for signs of dodgy hips etc when I do. I understand that recent mothers tend to look a bit thin with patchy hair (is that true?)

Also what should I be looking for in the pups themselves when I go to see them?

We called the breeder at the weekend and were delighted to hear that a litter was born on Friday night.

So we plan to go back down to inspect the litter (possibly this weekend maybe the week after) and hopefully book our Golden Retriever puppy

We would not actually take one though until they are at least 2 months old, in fact the breeder wouldnt let us even if we wanted to (which to me reassuring).

I have already seen the Sire and he was a lovely dog, nice personality, very energetic running after a ball etc walked well with no signs of a funny gait. I have not seen the mother yet though but willbe looking for signs of dodgy hips etc when I do. I understand that recent mothers tend to look a bit thin with patchy hair (is that true?)

Hi,

First of all, congratulations with your new puppy :o

When choosing a puppy you look at the behavior and at the overall health. As for the physical health I would like to refer to an article on my website on this subject (see my profile).

Best is to watch the puppies when they are together. It depends on what you like in a pup and what your household conditions are or will be. Are there children involved, then you are looking for an outgoing pup that is nicely playing with the other pups without being the bully. When you go to see the puppies they will probably all come to you. But the one that is always (pushing itself) in the front, highly enthousiastic jump all over you, playbite in your arms and legs a lot, is the one you do not want. Such a pup is a bit over-confident and can turn into a dog take doesn't take authority easily.

Do not feel pitty for the puppy that sits quietly in a corner or acts afraid. These kind of pups can develop fear-aggression.

At the age of 7 weeks you can do a test (if the breeder allows you, and s/he better be). Take a puppy in a seperate area away from its siblings. Put it on the ground and look what is does. If it slowly start sniffing around without fear, that's a good sign. Walk a little away from the puppy, does it follow you. That's a good sign. Call it towards you. Does it come readily? Also that's a good sign. Turn it gently on its back. Does it allow this submissively without fear or fighting to come loose? Again a good sign.

Too many signs of fear, indifference or so confident that it already goes off on its own, are all signs that you are not looking for.

On the internet there is also lots of info to be found.

Hope that this will be of some help.

Nienke

I have not seen the mother yet though but willbe looking for signs of dodgy hips etc when I do. I understand that recent mothers tend to look a bit thin with patchy hair (is that true?)

hi

definitely not true. the mother should look healthy, and in good shape with full shiny hair. females with skin problems should not be used for breeding. check what kind of food the dogs get. hip problems you can hardly see with your own (untrained) eye only if it's very severe. for that you need x-ray. did you ask if the parents are x-rayed. how many litters does the mother have, more than one per year is too much. how old is the mother, should be over 2 yrs. how are they kept, in cages, free in household and family etc. look at their teeth, are they stained (that means dull food).

the puppies should be fat, clear eyes, alert, friendly, fearless. look at their poopoo, it should be solid. these things you see best at an age of about 7 weeks.

many things to watch out for... but if it is not perfect it doesn't mean necessarily your pup is going to be ill. but you shouldn't support breeders who don't care much about these things, even here in thailand...

good luck with your new baby :o

Happy healthy alert puppies .... everything else is pretty much a generalisation .... find a vet you like BEFORE you pick one ... and bring him with you (or take the puppy to visit before you buy.)

Thank you everyone some great tips here I will be sure to look into x-rays, and will inspect the mother too.

This is a place called Pattama Farm on Sukhumvit 71 which I would like to name and shame here (mods please feel free to edit if against forum rules) - the conditions were awful in comparison to the kennels we are looking at and I felt it very odd that the Goldens there were not very energetic at all by comparison, see pic below

normal_P1060108.JPG

Now after that depressing pic see where we plan to buy from (NY Kennel)

I thought that this place had a great environment, they have a decent sized air conditioned room to rest in and have plenty of room for them all to run about (see pics below) plus all dogs go for a walk and/or swim each day. (Is it true that swimming is much better exercise for a dog as it with us? The breeder mentioned that "You Know Who" advocates a 15 minutes swim each day)

Here are pics of the Sire and the run about areas below

normal_P1060306.JPG

normal_P1060326.JPG

Edited by quiksilva

quite a difference the two farms you mention...

as i don't like dog 'farms' i personally would prefer breeders who keep only 3 bitches maximum and have them live with them as family pets... hard to find in thailand i know.

the kennel you choose seems to be very well organized and the dogs seem to have attention and pleasure (running, swimming, contact with each other etc) so that looks good all in all.

swimming is very good for dogs as it doesn't press weight on their joints and bones. especially goldens LOVE water and always make a mess with it :D and love to bathe and swim. you will find out soon enough :o also especially here in this heat they love to cool off in the wet and drink a lot during playing and exercise. if you take your puppy somewhere don't forget to take water with you or make sure it can be provided for!!

especially goldens LOVE water and always make a mess with it :D and love to bathe and swim.

Our golden goes out for a swim nearly everyday. Whenever I wash my car he is right there waiting for a good dousing. :o Never had a dog where I didn't have to fight him/her to get wet. Indeed a great animal and good luck with your new family member. One thing not to forget and that is to be sure to people & children socialize the dog, though goldens adapt pretty quickly.