Peru to deport tourists for allegedly damaging, defecating at Machu Picchu

snoop1130

Doesn't say he was a vandal. It says he 'caused a rock to fall'. I've never been there....presumably at a heritage and visitor site there were toilet facilities tucked away somewhere?, exactly the same as at all Thai Heritage and visitor centres.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Been to Machu Picchu many moons ago, cannot for the life of me think what would possess any ******* to vandalise the ruins, stunning place

It's not exactly the sort of place that your average idiot vandal could just stumble across... 

I agree with that.  But tourists have been vandalizing ancient sites since ancient times.  In fact, some of the graffiti is even given protection as historically significant in a lot of places.

It's not hard to imagine someone seeing thousands of graffiti carvings and figuring it's okay to add their own.  That doesn't make it right.  Nor do I know for sure that's what happened here.  

As far as the defecating, sometimes emergencies happen, especially in a 3rd world location with 3rd world hygiene.   If you're 200 meters from the can, and only have 20 meters of pinching left...  Could be total lack of respect, or could have been a medical issue.  I wasn't there.  I don't know. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, impulse said:

I agree with that.  But tourists have been vandalizing ancient sites since ancient times.  In fact, some of the graffiti is even given protection as historically significant in a lot of places.

It's not hard to imagine someone seeing thousands of graffiti carvings and figuring it's okay to add their own.  That doesn't make it right.  Nor do I know for sure that's what happened here.  

As far as the defecating, sometimes emergencies happen, especially in a 3rd world location with 3rd world hygiene.   If you're 200 meters from the can, and only have 20 meters of pinching left...  Could be total lack of respect, or could have been a medical issue.  I wasn't there.  I don't know. 

When I was there, there were available bathroom facilities outside the main entrance anyway, primitive but usable.

This was in the early 90s and back then our guides said you couldn’t get back in if left the site to use them. May be different now, not been back. 

Everyone I was with coped well enough though...but we knew we were privileged to be there and didn’t <deleted> on the cultural heritage of the country. 

Edited by Bluespunk

47 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Everyone I was with coped well enough though...but we knew we were privileged to be there and didn’t <deleted> on the cultural heritage of the country. 

They don't call it Montezuma's Revenge for nuthin'.  I don't think they could spell (or pronounce)  Atawallpa, Atabalica, Atahuallpa, Atabalipa, Atahualpa's Revenge.

Edited by impulse
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

When I was there, there were available bathroom facilities outside the main entrance anyway, primitive but usable.

This was in the early 90s and back then our guides said you couldn’t get back in if left the site to use them. May be different now, not been back. 

Visited in 2013.  Sounds like nothing had changed from what you described.   Never more than 10 minutes away from the toilets just outside the gate from anywhere on the site.  

Boggles the the mind to think that some people go to the effort of getting there, which is not insignificant, and carry on like that.  Pretty damn hard to topple a stone too.   Those things have stayed in place for 500 years, such is the craftsmanship.