Flying To Cnx Via Bkk

Johpa

I hope there is some experience now as to some of the better strategies for connecting between the new airport and CNX. (I know this might get moved to the travel forum, but I would hope it stays here where the experience might reside) I have time to plan, as I am sending the family off in late June, and they arrive in Bangkok around midnight on a US carrier. Has the experience been that it is worth finding a hotel near the new airport and then taking the 10:30 Thai flight or to send them over towards Don Muang upon arrival and then having them catch a flight north from there?

Any other tricks or advice for this transit to pass on?

Depends..........I didn't think it was worth booking a local hotel when arriving at 11.30 pm Suvarnabhumi. It was a mistake for me, it turned out to be long and uncomfortable night waiting for the first flight the following day. Next time it will be hotel even if the local hotels near the new airport are expensive.

Horses for courses.

Ok, here's my opinion:

Of course when arriving at midnight there are no connecting flights from any carrier from any airport anymore, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Then, for accommodation: *ALL* accommodation directly at (or seriously close) to the airport is VERY expensive, think Airport Novotel. Accommodation "somewhat in the general area between downtown and the airport" can be found and is cheaper, but my own personal opinion is that, at midnight without any traffic to speak of, the difference between such a hotel in the outskirts or a hotel downtown is a difference of about 7 minutes in a taxi and 30 baht. (Don't pin me down on this, I mean to say the difference between an allegedly 'close to the airport' hotel and 'any downtown hotel' is negligible. )

Then, for flying out: As you're already downtown you might just as well take a plane from either Don Muang, or the new airport. I would just let this depend on price: Nok Air flies out of Don Muang, Air Asia out of Swampbunny Airport. Thai Air flies out of both, take your pick. As they're getting a night sleep anyway I woulnd't book it too early, something that will have them in a taxi to the airport just after morning rush hour.

Edited by chanchao

chanchao, I think you're right that, at almost any airport in the world, they may have arrivals that get you there at around midnight, but no further departures until morning. I will have to sleep in downtown BKK the night before I leave for Russia, because nobody can get me from CNX to Suvanaphoom early enough in the morning to catch the flight. Then coming and leaving from Heathrow (a terrible place to spend the night), I'm stuck there both times.

At least Don Muang has connections to the train line between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

> At least Don Muang has connections to the train line between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

True.. though rail connections and advance booking were never super easy. Also with so few departures of *nice* sleeper trains, it was never actually an option for me. Anyway it doesn't matter anymore now because no more international flights at Don Muang..

I have a friend who regularly arrives in Bangkok late at night. He has taken to asking around and even putting up a sign to find people wishing to travel on to Chiang Mai.

If he finds one or two other passengers, he will arrange a taxi from Bangkok straight home to CM. The bargained cost is normally about 7,500 Baht and he is frequently home before his morning flight would have taken off.

Doing so saves considerable time and $. No hotel bill, no taxis to and from the airport and no air ticket to CM.

I have a friend who regularly arrives in Bangkok late at night. He has taken to asking around and even putting up a sign to find people wishing to travel on to Chiang Mai.

If he finds one or two other passengers, he will arrange a taxi from Bangkok straight home to CM. The bargained cost is normally about 7,500 Baht and he is frequently home before his morning flight would have taken off.

Doing so saves considerable time and $. No hotel bill, no taxis to and from the airport and no air ticket to CM.

Well there is a great idea! There will be five people arriving in the first group (I arrive a month later) so perhaps booking a van ahead of time to meet them at the airport and take them all the way to the house in CNX would be the way to go. I will have some acquaintances in Bangkok look into such an arrangement.

Why not the bus? If I remember well, they have night trips BKK/CNX with "couchette-seats" (not a bed eh!..). About 600-700 Baths/seat...

Taxi from airport to bus station (about 300 Baths, no?..) and then bus...

Low prices and about 10 hours of a safety and quiet trip from BKK to CNX...

Maybe an arriving in afternoon here...

> Why not the bus?

Because buses don't leave at midnight. At least not any of the sensible ones (VIP or even regular first class aircon) leave after 10pm or so.

And at a time when buses would still run, flights would, too.

Indeed booking a van would be perfect. I guess that's about 1500 baht, but for such a long distance one-off the cost could be higher, perhaps 2000, and multiply by two because it's essentially a one way so then you're at 4000 *maximum*, then add fuel cost, around 700/9 * 25 = around 2000 baht, total is around 6000. (Ballpark).

Edited by chanchao

You will find a van is more expensive than a taxi. I was told about 10K for the trip to CM, returning empty.

The 7.5K quoted above is all inclusive of fuel etc., 2.5K each for three passengers. Only problem is that my friend has found himself having to take over the driving on occasion, as the driver ran out of matchsticks to keep his eyes open.