Amazing Thailand!

Physherman

Has anyone else noticed the pricing board for the taxis from the airport? Read carefully, you can see that a taxi to Mae Rim costs 300 baht. Not unreasonable for an airport taxi.

But if you read on, you'll notice that the fare to the Four Seasons Resort is 450 baht.

The Four Seasons Resort is IN Mae Rim. Now THAT is what I call cashing in on ignorance!! :o

The Fly Fisherman

Has anyone else noticed the pricing board for the taxis from the airport? Read carefully, you can see that a taxi to Mae Rim costs 300 baht. Not unreasonable for an airport taxi.

But if you read on, you'll notice that the fare to the Four Seasons Resort is 450 baht.

The Four Seasons Resort is IN Mae Rim. Now THAT is what I call cashing in on ignorance!! :o

The Fly Fisherman

the average punter that would stay at a 4 seasons probably wouldnt blink twice at that price so whats the big deal?

The Four Seasons Resort is IN Mae Rim. Now THAT is what I call cashing in on ignorance!! :D

The Fly Fisherman

the average punter that would stay at a 4 seasons probably wouldnt blink twice at that price so whats the big deal?

so whats the big deal?

So, because some people have got a bit of dosh it's OK to exploit and rip them off eh?? :o

This is just one of the reasons that the realm has such a bad name.

Edited by john b good

On top of that they may well be getting a commission from the hotel. :o

I doubt it. There ain't too many people fronting at the Four Seasons on the off chance of getting a room.

Yeh and most of the guests are picked up at the airport in the hotel's cars. It is just part of the service.

* The Four Seasons *IS* further away than the town of Mae Rim.

* If you stay at the Four Seasons, your comment would likely be perceived as the following statement would be to you: "at 7-eleven the Coke cans are overpriced because it's 50 satang more than at Tesco Express"

Anyway, it's not like you don't take it in the bum every single time you go in and out of there.

The Four Seasons Resort is IN Mae Rim. Now THAT is what I call cashing in on ignorance!! :D

The Fly Fisherman

so whats the big deal?

So, because some people have got a bit of dosh it's OK to exploit and rip them off eh?? :o

Since the charge is clearly listed on the charge list the patrons aren't exploited and they aren't ripped off - (provided they aren't charged more than the list says). Anyone is pretty much free to take it or leave it and venture into how and where to get a cheaper ride. Every entrepreneur in every country is free to choose his kind of patrons. Some go for the Thailand-on-a-shoestring kind of patrons - other go for the ones to whom money is less of a concern than convenience.

"Every entrepreneur in every country is free to choose his kind of patrons. Some go for the Thailand-on-a-shoestring kind of patrons - other go for the ones to whom money is less of a concern than convenience."

And besides, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose in Thld. So I pay too much for a ride to Mae Rim or occaisionally for a tuk tuk late at night, but then I fill up on 20 B noodles whenever I like, and wear 'diesel' jeans that I buy for 600 B rather than $150 back home. Can I really complain ? I understand the principal, but overall, odds are way in my favor so no complaints.

The Fly Fisherman

Agreed...

Or if it's so close then advise people staying at the Four Seasons to get the taxi to Mae Rim, then negotiate with one the Songthaews to drive to the hotel at a cost lower than 150 baht.

And then there's walking> It's close after all right? People staying at the 4 seasons are bound to travel light or use backpacks.

Good luck.

Anyway, it's not like you don't take it in the bum every single time you go in and out of there.

:D :D

Try getting a taxi or black cab from any london airport even a short distance then moan about prices of taxis in thailand.

Comparing prices Baht for Pound is sooo naive....

Isn't it just! An obvious newbie trait me thinks. :o

The Fly Fisherman

so whats the big deal?

Since the charge is clearly listed on the charge list the patrons aren't exploited and they aren't ripped off - (provided they aren't charged more than the list says). Anyone is pretty much free to take it or leave it and venture into how and where to get a cheaper ride. Every entrepreneur in every country is free to choose his kind of patrons. Some go for the Thailand-on-a-shoestring kind of patrons - other go for the ones to whom money is less of a concern than convenience.

exactly!

no ones holding a gun to their heads to take the taxi, perhaps a songteu to the hotel may be better

besides the rich usually didnt get that way by getting ripped off....if anything they would be smarter than the average joe and perhaps negotiate a better deal. Either way still not a big deal as far as im concerned- (careful you dont spit the dummy) :D

Here's MY Amazing Thailand story from today.

Had to send my CPA in US a 27 page tax questionnaire, which was scanned and converted to an Adobe Acrobat .pdf file. Huge file size, about 20 MB.

Tried to compress with WinZip, no go. Went at it a dozen ways; gave up in total frustration.

So this morning, I go to Buddy Internet on Huay Kaew, opposite Central to see if they could help. The gal there spent an honest 1/2 hour trying; couldn't do it.

Then the main dude, a Thai "geek" (probably writes code and can hack with the best of them) got involved. Without going into a lot of technical detail, suffice to say he got it done (took about 15-20 minutes).

After sending the email to my CPA, copied to myself, opened and confirmed everything was there, I asked "How Much?" 20 B. 1 hour of labour, with the only 2 staff present involved.

I gave them 100 B, and told them how much I appreciated all their efforts.

I wish I had a photograph of their appreciative smiles...

Amazing Thailand! :o

Try getting a taxi or black cab from any london airport even a short distance then moan about prices of taxis in thailand.

Comparing prices Baht for Pound is sooo naive....

I wasnt comparing the baht and the pound. Its about value for money.

Newbie who started visiting Thailand in 1979.

Anywhere is cheap compared to England, including Japan!

> Or if it's so close then advise people staying at the Four Seasons to get the taxi

> to Mae Rim, then negotiate with one the Songthaews to drive to the hotel at a cost lower than 150 baht.

There is no need. The Four Seasons is within the city limits of Mae Rim by roughly 2.4 kilometers. A ride to the Four Seasons is a ride to Mae Rim. You're correct, it is a 2 minute drive from the center traffic light by the overpass, which would certainly not make for it being a different price. A taxi wouldn't need to drive as far the Mae Sa turn. But the actual price wasn't the issue in the first place. . . The issue was the rip-off of the unsuspecting tourist.

Obviously no one spending $400-$500 US a night in Thailand will give a ###### about a 120 charge for the actual value of the money. On the other hand, how do YOU feel about dual pricing?

> And then there's walking

> It's close after all right?

Eleven minute stroll from the traffic light by the overpass to the entrance to the resort. Yeah, you're right. It's close.

> People staying at the 4 seasons are bound to travel light or use backpacks.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

He says it better than I. :o

The Fly Fisherman

> Or if it's so close then advise people staying at the Four Seasons to get the taxi

> to Mae Rim, then negotiate with one the Songthaews to drive to the hotel at a cost lower than 150 baht.

There is no need. The Four Seasons is within the city limits of Mae Rim by roughly 2.4 kilometers. A ride to the Four Seasons is a ride to Mae Rim. You're correct, it is a 2 minute drive from the center traffic light by the overpass, which would certainly not make for it being a different price. A taxi wouldn't need to drive as far the Mae Sa turn. But the actual price wasn't the issue in the first place. . . The issue was the rip-off of the unsuspecting tourist.

Obviously no one spending $400-$500 US a night in Thailand will give a ###### about a 120 charge for the actual value of the money. On the other hand, how do YOU feel about dual pricing?

Eleven minute stroll from the traffic light by the overpass to the entrance to the resort. Yeah, you're right. It's close.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

He says it better than I. :D

The Fly Fisherman

How about.....the 300 Baht is very cheap and the 450 Baht is a more realistic fare!!!

Just a thought. :o

Cheers

Had to send my CPA in US a 27 page tax questionnaire, which was scanned and converted to an Adobe Acrobat .pdf file. Huge file size, about 20 MB.

Tried to compress with WinZip, no go. Went at it a dozen ways; gave up in total frustration.

So this morning, I go to Buddy Internet on Huay Kaew, opposite Central to see if they could help. The gal there spent an honest 1/2 hour trying; couldn't do it.

Then the main dude, a Thai "geek" (probably writes code and can hack with the best of them) got involved. Without going into a lot of technical detail, suffice to say he got it done (took about 15-20 minutes).

After sending the email to my CPA, copied to myself, opened and confirmed everything was there, I asked "How Much?" 20 B. 1 hour of labour, with the only 2 staff present involved.

Great stuff

But.. How did he do it???

Great stuff

He went in to the Acrobat archive, converted the images to .jpg, resized them twice (1st to 65%, then to 70%), then moved the now resized images back to a new AA .pdf folder. Went from 20 MB to about 3.5 MB.

The Fly Fisherman

it isnt a rip off unless it is perceived as one, who says it is a rip off? Maybe the tourist going to the 4 seasons thinks its good value. In the end its a mute point as I dont think anyone (an actual guest staying at the 4 Seasons) is going to complain about it.

The Fly Fisherman

it isnt a rip off unless it is perceived as one, who says it is a rip off? Maybe the tourist going to the 4 seasons thinks its good value. In the end its a mute point as I dont think anyone (an actual guest staying at the 4 Seasons) is going to complain about it.

Did you happen to notice the BOLD Italisized sentence where I said:

" But the actual price wasn't the issue in the first place. . . The issue was the rip-off of the unsuspecting tourist."

The numbers are NOT the issue. How would you feel as a tourist going to Houston, Texas. The taxi says $20 to Houston, but $40 to the Astrodome. The Astrodome is IN Houston, but you as a tourist don't know that, so you pay the $40.

Sure, you can afford it. But does than make it a right action for the taxi to take advantage of?

I noticed that you didn't address the issue of double pricing for foreigners. I infer from your position about the taxi fares that you are in agreement with double pricing. After all, if it's OK for the taxis, it must be OK for everything else. Is that correct?

The Fly Fisherman

Great stuff

He went in to the Acrobat archive, converted the images to .jpg, resized them twice (1st to 65%, then to 70%), then moved the now resized images back to a new AA .pdf folder. Went from 20 MB to about 3.5 MB.
Maybe we should start a thread for "incredibly competent internet shops and geeks in them, in Chiang Mai." Buddy's gets my award. They're also the ones who got me a photocopied color set of passport page, visa and extension, and charged me next to nothing. I don't know if any shop in CMai comes close.

The Fly Fisherman

so whats the big deal?

I agree because The place is further than downtown Mae Rim, and since both prices are clearly listed.. No big deal for me, either.