German + Thai, marry in Australia. Registration in Thailnd

Enki

Hello everybody,

I found this already helpful, but like to dig deeper: 

Due to insane paper work requirements if either I marry my wife in Thailand or she comes to Germany (or most other EU countries) and we marry in Germany, we consider strongly to marry in Australia. Bonus point I have friends there and some are old, might be the last chance to see them.

I like to know if anyone knows about problems you might have in registering the marriage in Thailand. Registering in Germany is not necessary, but if you have hints for that as well, that would be welcome, too.

Thank you,

Enki

We were married in Australia 8 years ago never registered here.

Have marriage certificate translated to Thai though and notorised and stamped by Australian embassey in Bangkok. 

I have retirement Visa not sure if that would be acceptable if I change to marriage Visa later this year.

Edited by Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

The process is relatively easy:

1. get the wedding certificate certified by the embassy in Thailand (problem is that you are German en need a certificate from the Australian government).

2. Have the certificate translated to Thai

3. Have the certificate and translation certified by the Thai consular department in bangkok

4. register the wedding with a Thai amphur.

Alternatively contact the Thai embassy or general consulate in Australia and see if you can register the wedding with them.

• Thanks 1