Pattaya Park Buffet, The Biggest Rip-off In Town

hunghung

I visited Pattaya a month ago in March and I am reporting my bad experience with Pattaya Park. :o I was aware of the Park and the tower's revolving restaurant before my Pattaya visit and I thought the buffet at the tower should be very good as the tower is a landmark in Pattaya. :D When I was in Pattaya, I asked a travel agent to phone the Park to ask the price of the lunch buffet and the answer was 300b, which was okay for me. When I was at the Park to purchase a lunch buffet ticket, the price was 500b, not the quoted 300b! Why did the Park quote 300b on the phone? This is why: the lunch buffet includes a cable ride from the top of the tower to the ground, which by itself is 200b. 500b minus 200b is 300b. Sorry, if you don't want the cable ride, you still have to pay 500b. This is evidently an intentional rip-off practice. :D When I was at the buffet, I found the foods very cheap and horrible and not worthy of even 100b. This is the worst buffet I ever have. The windows were dirty and this is surprising as the selling point of the restaurant is the view. Some staff members were walking with slippers with feet exposed and some were sweeping the floor while visitors were eating. I was disgusted. :D Finally, the staff members for the cable ride were less than friendly and they spoke hardly any English. :D Before I went to the Park, I was thinking of doing other activities there (e.g. monorail), but I left the Park with disgust after the cable ride, not wanting to spend another dime on this rip-off place. :bah: Visit the Park yourself and see if what I say is true. If you hate rip-offs, spread this message. Hung

I went to Pattaya Park several times but only for the swimming pool, never went up the tower. Generally, pretty much worldwide, I avoid such tourist trap places particularly for the food. The tendency is for it to be overpriced, bland crap. Certainly, from your report, it seems I made the right decision and just ate by the pool buying the food from passing vendors.

I visited Pattaya a month ago in March and I am reporting my bad experience with Pattaya Park. :o I was aware of the Park and the tower's revolving restaurant before my Pattaya visit and I thought the buffet at the tower should be very good as the tower is a landmark in Pattaya. :D When I was in Pattaya, I asked a travel agent to phone the Park to ask the price of the lunch buffet and the answer was 300b, which was okay for me. When I was at the Park to purchase a lunch buffet ticket, the price was 500b, not the quoted 300b! Why did the Park quote 300b on the phone? This is why: the lunch buffet includes a cable ride from the top of the tower to the ground, which by itself is 200b. 500b minus 200b is 300b. Sorry, if you don't want the cable ride, you still have to pay 500b. This is evidently an intentional rip-off practice. :D When I was at the buffet, I found the foods very cheap and horrible and not worthy of even 100b. This is the worst buffet I ever have. The windows were dirty and this is surprising as the selling point of the restaurant is the view. Some staff members were walking with slippers with feet exposed and some were sweeping the floor while visitors were eating. I was disgusted. :D Finally, the staff members for the cable ride were less than friendly and they spoke hardly any English. :D Before I went to the Park, I was thinking of doing other activities there (e.g. monorail), but I left the Park with disgust after the cable ride, not wanting to spend another dime on this rip-off place. :bah: Visit the Park yourself and see if what I say is true. If you hate rip-offs, spread this message. Hung

Pattaya Tower is worth visiting on a clear day, I made many photos from there. The visit itself is 200B and it includes the ride back by cable car or, for more adventurous, "tower jump" with cable hanging and protection. Or, simply, take the lift back but no refund. And that's the end of the good news.

Oh, there is a drink included too - glass of water or poor tea/coffee or sugary juice made of water and cordial syrup.

When you come to the place you quickly realize it's badly maintained, slacky unhelpful staff and the only thing that may be good is the view (which, with dirty windows, can also be spoiled). I don't know how and if they clean the windows, could be, only rain can wash down salt deposits from the sea. I would never think of eating there, at any price.

But the real rip-off is the restaurant in the Water Park. Street food at its worst and at triple prices. Take away in foam plates.

Certainly, from your report, it seems I made the right decision and just ate by the pool buying the food from passing vendors.

When was that? No vendors are allowed into the Water Park area. At least, not on 200 occasions when I was there. And the fence towards the beach is double, to prevent people coming to the main fence and buy things through it.

My wife went out to buy food most of the times but it is a fair stretch towards the Adriatic Palace hotel where you can find many beach vendors renting deck chairs and cooking food.

Edited by think_too_mut

Certainly, from your report, it seems I made the right decision and just ate by the pool buying the food from passing vendors.

When was that? No vendors are allowed into the Water Park area. At least, not on 200 occasions when I was there. And the fence towards the beach is double, to prevent people coming to the main fence and buy things through it.

My wife went out to buy food most of the times but it is a fair stretch towards the Adriatic Palace hotel where you can find many beach vendors supplying renting deck chairs and cooking food.

No, the vendors were not allowed in but my missus used to go out the back gate (with re-entry stamp) and get the stuff outside. The vendors used to hover around outside the fence waiting for custom.

No, the vendors were not allowed in but my missus used to go out the back gate (with re-entry stamp) and get the stuff outside. The vendors used to hover around outside the fence waiting for custom.

Somebody keeps an eye on them and chases them away. During the day, the vendors are there and not there, more often not. We usually stay on that side of the park and I could see them when they are there but never when and why they disappear.

My wife went out to buy food most of the times but it is a fair stretch towards the Adriatic Palace hotel where you can find many beach vendors renting deck chairs and cooking food.

There are lots of places in the very near vacinitity where one can buy good cheap Thai Food.

There are lots of places in the very near vacinitity where one can buy good cheap Thai Food.

There are - none. If those beach food vendors are not squatting next to the Water Park beach entrance, no food unless you are ready for a bit of a walk along the beach.

Looks like intentional, the absence of food stalls and vendors is apparent.

I go to the waterpark with my kids often and at 50 baht per head for children and 100 baht for Grown Up's ( regardless of nationality) the place gets a thumbs up from me , I never eat the food from the place as the 7-11 is a stop before hand.

I've got a vague recollection of the buffet not being too bad if you like fish. I do recall a certain ethnic group claiming all the big prawns for themselves though :o

LOL - I know what you mean

You should see it when we go out for a "Steamboat" meal from work - kiasu at its finest where the prawns are concerned ;-)