Koh Tao Crime Wave

Without going into the details, two Thai youths tried to get into my bungalow at OK 2 Resort on Koh Tao two nights ago. I foiled them (only to have them come back later that night and try again, with me chasing them away again).

In the morning I learned that three other resorts were hit by people trying to break into bungalows. One other bungalow in OK 2 was burgled -- they broke the glass out of the wooden frame window to get in -- the occupant was still out partying (this was at 2am).

I was asked to go to the police station and see if I could identify the main suspect. I could.

I was told that word is out that Koh Tao is busy and tourists, for some reason, don't take precautions with their belongings and that the bungalows are often very easy to get into. I also learned that a few days ago the police discovered about 50 illegal Burmese residing on the hill above the lookout restaurant "Golden View."

This was confirmed by the owners of the place to me, who told me of their thieving ways (they even had babies with them!).

Because of the lax security and the scarcity of police on the island, wayward youths are coming to try their hand at the pickings.

The kids I saw that the police had taken during the night were a sorry lot. Call it profiling, but these kids looked like the dregs. Two were girls.

Word to the wise, when in Koh Tao, be as careful with your belongings as you would in Ho Chi Minh City, for example.

Without going into the details, two Thai youths tried to get into my bungalow at OK 2 Resort on Koh Tao two nights ago. I foiled them (only to have them come back later that night and try again, with me chasing them away again).

In the morning I learned that three other resorts were hit by people trying to break into bungalows. One other bungalow in OK 2 was burgled -- they broke the glass out of the wooden frame window to get in -- the occupant was still out partying (this was at 2am).

I was asked to go to the police station and see if I could identify the main suspect. I could.

I was told that word is out that Koh Tao is busy and tourists, for some reason, don't take precautions with their belongings and that the bungalows are often very easy to get into. I also learned that a few days ago the police discovered about 50 illegal Burmese residing on the hill above the lookout restaurant "Golden View."

This was confirmed by the owners of the place to me, who told me of their thieving ways (they even had babies with them!).

Because of the lax security and the scarcity of police on the island, wayward youths are coming to try their hand at the pickings.

The kids I saw that the police had taken during the night were a sorry lot. Call it profiling, but these kids looked like the dregs. Two were girls.

Word to the wise, when in Koh Tao, be as careful with your belongings as you would in Ho Chi Minh City, for example.

you are talking about Burmese living in the hill........what does that have to do with Thai youth trying to break in to your Bungalow.........????

My guess is...........and Im not saying they are inocent, but if 50 of them stay on Koh Tao.........then somebody have ordered them to go there...that can only mean construction workers...........but ofcourse, its easier for the Thais......to blame someone else... :o

The kids you saw at the PS .........were they Thai or Burmese ??

Thanks for the advice on keeping my belongings safe in Ho Chi Minh City too! I might consider extending this to well...... everywhere! Or maybe you could suggest where I should consider not keeping my belongings safe!

Apologies I have quite clearly got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Edited by leemond

Master, just so you know, most people cannot tell the difference between Burmese and Thai. Esp at night.

As for why poor, itinerant Burmese laborers would be more likely to break into a bungalow than poor itinerant Thai laborers, well, they are, as you said, easier to blame. But, just as likely to thieve. So don't feel too sorry for them.

There was a Burmese gang that was working the Hadrin road last year, running out and knocking people over on their bikes as they were slowly making their way up or down hills and stealing their bags. And yes, they were Burmese because our local PuYai ban got a group together with the police and laid in wait to catch some as they jumped people.

I can only reiterate what I tell our guests, if your guesthouse or resort offers a safe, lock your valuables up in that when you go out at night.

nothing has changed on ko tao then. a few years ago i was there with my tour group. when we returned to our bungalows, there were scalpal blades stuck in many of the door locks, as if they were trying to pick them. one room out of 5 or so was sucessfully broken into.

we went to the police station etc, and the police were all very lovely about it, but, of course, it was too late by then.

thai vs burmese

balinese vs javanese

very similar thing i guess. easy to point the finger, but it means nothing until the truth is found out.

thai vs burmese

balinese vs javanese

very similar thing i guess. easy to point the finger, but it means nothing until the truth is found out.

Agreed, and usually the truth is; they all do it. Thai, Burmese, and farang too. I remember years back some farang (was he French??) was caught in Koh Tao breaking into bungalows and when they went into his room he had something like 30 cameras and several hundred thousand baht in cash (foreign and Thai notes) all hidden under his mattress.

Equal opportunity thieves :o

I spent some time on Tao and it was always the Burmese to blame for anything that happened on the isle. It actually turned out to be low life farang who came over from KPY. No money and no work, they knew that most farang left laptops etc in bungalow and they knew by talking to them when they were diving.easy money. Just dont be too quick to point the finger. The OP says it was Thais then it becomes Burmese. Use your own judgement

I remember years back some farang (was he French??) was caught in Koh Tao breaking into bungalows and when they went into his room he had something like 30 cameras and several hundred thousand baht in cash (foreign and Thai notes) all hidden under his mattress.

Should be very uncomfortable to sleep on a mattress with 30 cameras hidden under it. This guy deserve some respect. :D

I remember years back some farang (was he French??) was caught in Koh Tao breaking into bungalows and when they went into his room he had something like 30 cameras and several hundred thousand baht in cash (foreign and Thai notes) all hidden under his mattress.

Should be very uncomfortable to sleep on a mattress with 30 cameras hidden under it. This guy deserve some respect. :D

Guess I should have said, "under his bed" :D

I mentioned the Burmese because I was told by the locals that they were also suspected, not confirmed, of being behind some of the crimes.

One of the suspects in the break-ins was Burmese, if that satisfies you.

None of the 50-odd Burmese found camping out on this hill had valid paperwork which would make them legal to stay in Thailand. It was assumed by the locals that they were not there to take in the fresh air; that they had less honorable motives in mind.

I marvel at the underlying hostility of the replies here. I mentioned HCM City since as a resident of that place for a year, I can attest to it being very ripe with petty crime. Please pardon me if I didn't include your home countries as other examples.

By the way, when the policeman, born in Maenam incidentally, apologized for the incident, my reply was, "It's OK; this sort of thing happens all over the world, not just here."