Just wondering. Phayao or Prachuap Khiri Khan

VocalNeal

If you value your health it's an easy choice.

I'm not one to harp on about pollution levels but this season the north of Thailand has been suffering since December and it's still building. Today Phayao AQI is 160 PKK 100 less but take a look over the past couple of years is you consider pollution a deciding factor.

• Like 2

PKK wins hands down, the place has a neutral charm and beauty splendid beaches even though it's not the op preference but hey, it's there if you you wanna.. the best will be to visit both place for a week or so and soak the feeling and than make a decision...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

I have escaped from Chiang Mai to PKK. The air is luvverly.

No contest, PKK is very quiet which I like. It is cheap and more relaxed and laid back.

There is no "Frang" style nightlife or bars as such, but no shortage of places to dine and have a beer.

Different pricing seems to be non existent and I must admit I like the place.

One large Tesco , a Macro, Global House and Home depot are the only wester type "supermarkets".

A weekly trip to Hua Hin for my major shop of a Sunday morning takes care of any non PKK needs.

john

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

Half the <deleted> from Hua Hin and Pattaya have moved here with their bar girls. Also those lovely Euros have flooded into the place. Keep talking it up and it will be the next Hua Hin. Trust me the girly bars and all the <deleted> it attracts will soon be in Prachuap. Its changing fast and not for the better. The attitudes of the Thais are changing with it. Had more than a few ask me about the lovely foreigners coming here and their lovely arrogant attitudes. So don,t be shocked if you find the Thais not so friendly after all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 7:12 AM, Mitkof Island said:

Half the <deleted> from Hua Hin and Pattaya have moved here with their bar girls. Also those lovely Euros have flooded into the place. Keep talking it up and it will be the next Hua Hin. Trust me the girly bars and all the <deleted> it attracts will soon be in Prachuap. Its changing fast and not for the better. The attitudes of the Thais are changing with it. Had more than a few ask me about the lovely foreigners coming here and their lovely arrogant attitudes. So don,t be shocked if you find the Thais not so friendly after all.

Absolute nonsense. Lovely lical people there. Only downside is the 50 plus bald farang drinking crowd hanging on the boulevard at night. 

On 3/2/2020 at 7:12 AM, Mitkof Island said:

A weekly trip to Hua Hin for my major shop of a Sunday morning takes care of any non PKK needs.

Sadly this is the sort of thing I was trying to avoid.

On 3/15/2020 at 2:06 PM, SoilSpoil said:

Only downside is the 50 plus bald farang drinking crowd hanging on the boulevard at night. 

...and this. I do need a few token farangs and a cosy bar but...

15 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Sadly this is the sort of thing I was trying to avoid.

...and this. I do need a few token farangs and a cosy bar but...

The towns quiet but  unless you had certain dietary requirements you can survive there (Makro Tesco etc) obviously  cheaper european food supplies of course are obtained from HH along with the need for any night life 

Sure it's busier in high season in town with snowbirds and tourists

Out of season April till Oct there are very few foreigners around and it can get busy with Bangkok Thais on weekends 

Bars as such for foreigner chappy types  don't really exist so groups do congregate outside various shops or restaurants  around town to meet up and drink 

Not a bad place really

Phayao is a special place, but now might be a good time to visit uncrowded beaches.  Streetfood in Phayao is A+..chicken, ribs, fish...curries..all excellent.  Fun late night spots, also...and fun to have a few on the rocks by the lake with 711 across the street.  

Edited by moontang

I would go with Prachuab.  The air is better and HH is not far away if you want a bit of western restaurants and bars.  PKK is quiet which is very nice.  Pace of life is slower.  I first visited PKK in 1983 and it was lovely.  Renting an apartment or house is much cheaper than a lot of other areas.  Bought a house on 6.5 rai there over 30 years ago.  The main beach is nice.  I'm not familiar with local transportation as I have always had a car.