Popcorn, As In Do It Yourself

Every major mall seems to sell popcorn, copiously coated with sugar, etc. It's great stuff if you like it. I want to make it myself. I want to pop it, put on the salt and butter and make it MY way. WHERE can I buy unpopped popcorn??? Unpopped popcorn can surely not be under a local monopoly.... tell me it can't!!!

Probably most of the supermarkets will have it including microwave packs. I have some called Pop-Secret Movie Theater Style (microwave) and bought at Tesco Lotus. Seen Popeye popcorn in bags also.

Probably most of the supermarkets will have it including microwave packs. I have some called Pop-Secret Movie Theater Style (microwave) and bought at Tesco Lotus. Seen Popeye popcorn in bags also.

Wow! Not just wow but SUPER WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will hit the supermarkets (in Roi-et) tonight. I haven't had home-made popcorn in 10 years (not joking either); I had assumed it was still not availbable here.

I've seen regular (non-microwave bags) of popcorn at the Makro in Surat Thani, and this Makro is not western food oriented at all, so you might try giving Makro a shot if you have one nearby.

= I've moved this topic to the Western Food forum just to give all the foodies a shot at it too :o =

I bought a bag, I think at Tesco Lotus Sukhumvit in Pattaya. When I got home I looked at the bag and was VERY surprised to see that it came from the American Popcorn Factory in Van Wert, Ohio. I worked in Van Wert for 22 years.

There are small bags available, I don't remember the brand, clear with red print. Then there is Brooks brand carried in a cardboard can with aluminum lid. Which is what I buy regularly, seems to be best price and also pops well. Once opened keep it in the fridge, I use spare screw top jars. I pop corn at least twice a week. I find it best to use a heavy large sauce pan. Put about a 1/4 inch of oil (I use rice bran) in the pot, place it on high heat, add about 6-10 kernals of pop corn. Once these start to pop drop in the measure corn, my large sauce pan will take about 1/2 cup. Pop the lid on tight till it starts to pop, then just slide the lid off a bit to release the steam, one trick to good pop corn is to keep it dry, if you seal the pan, the steam makes it tough. Toss the pan frequently and set the lid back ajar. Once the popping comes to an almost stop, remove and place in a very large bowl in layers. Start with some fresh melted butter in the bottom before you put any popped corn, then some corn, then be ready with whatever else you like, salt, cheese powder, Old Bay seasoning is also good. layer the corn and all the goodies. Then toss it all for a about a minute. Make sure the bowl is large enough to let everything toss around well. Great with an old movie, and takes no time, so much better than that expensive oversalted micro bag crap.

LTLOS

verasu sells a hot air popper I believe (just to forestall the inevitable next question after cathyy's post :D )

:o:D

They sure do. We had make a special trip to Bangkok to buy one, and that's where we found it.

There are small bags available, I don't remember the brand, clear with red print. Then there is Brooks brand carried in a cardboard can with aluminum lid. Which is what I buy regularly, seems to be best price and also pops well. Once opened keep it in the fridge, I use spare screw top jars. I pop corn at least twice a week. I find it best to use a heavy large sauce pan. Put about a 1/4 inch of oil (I use rice bran) in the pot, place it on high heat, add about 6-10 kernals of pop corn. Once these start to pop drop in the measure corn, my large sauce pan will take about 1/2 cup. Pop the lid on tight till it starts to pop, then just slide the lid off a bit to release the steam, one trick to good pop corn is to keep it dry, if you seal the pan, the steam makes it tough. Toss the pan frequently and set the lid back ajar. Once the popping comes to an almost stop, remove and place in a very large bowl in layers. Start with some fresh melted butter in the bottom before you put any popped corn, then some corn, then be ready with whatever else you like, salt, cheese powder, Old Bay seasoning is also good. layer the corn and all the goodies. Then toss it all for a about a minute. Make sure the bowl is large enough to let everything toss around well. Great with an old movie, and takes no time, so much better than that expensive oversalted micro bag crap.

LTLOS

Oh, GOD that sounds good!!!!!!!!!!!! And I've just finished downloading a bunch of classic old movies. I'm going to try your recipe. This will be a super treat for my kids and I.