Houses: asking vs selling price

The wife is looking at buying a townhouse. The owner was asking for 2.3 million and dropped it instantly to 2.1 when my wife called. So, from your house buying experience what do you think the real selling price will be? I was thinking of offering 1.8 million.

Also, there are a few units available in the same street. Is buying an end unit a good or bad idea?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I would stick to the end of terrace and find a neighbour with a proper job and a good family. 

Absolutely...I insisted the GF buy the end unit at the end of a cul de sac with a wall separating us from the neighboring Moobaan. There was no way I was going to help finance a middle unit...walking just up and down our Soi shows various junk collections piled up in driveways, built add ons that make a Western Style townhouse look as closely as possible to a dirt floor shack in Issan. and this is a new gated Moobaan. We got very lucky too, the one neighbor we share a wall with is an older lady and husband who never  leave the house and a daughter who is a nurse and leaves early and comes home late. Quiet as church mice...the neighbor in the back is a Chinese guy and his Thai wife who also have a condo in BKK and are splitting their time..so nice and quiet. Cost a bit more than a middle unit...and there is some garden maintenance...but well worth the extra trouble for peace of mind.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2020 at 11:40 AM, Susco said:

Call me, I know another 2000 new built never occupied shop houses for sale, some were built 5 years ago though, and that is only in a radius 25 km from where I live so there might be more elsewhere.

Yeah, what is this shophouse building thing about?  There's brand new empty ones everywhere. Did they get some form of grant or other government incentive to build them?

On 3/11/2020 at 7:36 AM, BritManToo said:

If the seller finds out a white foreigner is involved I'm thinking 3m and he won't budge.

My experience exactly. I now look at places by myself, and if I'm interested i send my wife and her brother. As soon as they see a Farang, all bargaining is off the table. 

8 hours ago, leggo said:

Prices will drop at least 20-30% across the board when the virus affects the whole Thai economy which it definitely will. The authorities will as usual put their spin on it but Thailands economy relies enormously on tourism which has completely collapsed!

Do tourists generally buy townhouses or other properties?

Mostly they buy tat in the markets or possibly a suit from a guy in the street

they couldn't shake off.

When buying a house, always remain aware of the THB fx with your home currency. The seller will price, in THB; however, if the rate is moving (especially, due to the coronavirus), in your favor, you will have much more flexibility, given your home currency-based budget, to negotiate a better THB price. As for local agents, if you're a seller, remember that they're not earning their commissions (most want 5-8%, yet, do nothing more than show the property rather than provide any detailed paperwork). With a soft market, make them lower their fees because they want the commission and should sacrifice a portion of their OTT commissions, along with the seller.