Very sound advice from an expert

Redoubt

Dear fellow Expats:  Regarding the most important 'news' issue in the world at present, I wish to share a thesis to ponder:

America's Very Sad Reality in the War on the Virus

America's very sad reality in the war on the lethal pandemic virus came to me just today as a thesis worth sharing.

After watching the latest presentation (*) on YouTube from ‘The White House’, certainly the most informative and accurate objective news source available on what is being done, and has already been done, in America to fight this new world war against this frightening germ, I realized that few other news sources will even address what I must share now.  Note:  This news source is direct, un-edited, and has not been tainted by any subjective agenda driven entity including all other  “news” sources, et al.

In America we have categorized all forms of self-destructive behaviors classified as “addictions” as a medical condition.  As such, all addicts are going to be protected in many ways with regard to identifying them.  And, in our ‘free’ society there are so many addicts who have successfully hidden their various afflictions; in addition to the too many millions already known to be addicts.

My deep concern as a retired career law enforcement officer and investigator, having served in three diverse jurisdictional environments including New York City, is that nearly all addicts will do nearly anything to satisfy their daily cravings for their particular addictions’ target choices.

The serious sad reality is that no matter what “official” medical / civil authority advice or regulations are promulgated, the addict populations will continue to do their best to acquire fulfillment for their addictions; without regard to any consequences of their actions.  This is the nature of the addictions.

The People and our governmental entities must now realize and respond to the fact that no door, wall, border, barrier, rule or law will dictate what the various behaviors of our millions of addicts will be.  Their addictions alone will drive them!  And, thus their physical movements and activities wherever they live and move through will present significant direct and dire threats to all other citizens; particularly in urban environments.

Regretfully I predict that municipal law enforcement will be impotent to contend with these individuals, and this includes the millions of alcoholics who will likewise potentially resort to refusing medical confinement if it means they cannot have daily doses of what they physically and emotionally crave.

It is therefore reasonable to conclude that National Guard units shall be activated in urban zones where the most concentrated number of degenerate addicts reside, and even with such a martial presence the minds and behaviors of most addicts will still compel them to do whatever it takes to acquire their ‘drug of choice’.  It is conceivable that elements of our armed forces may also be mandated to supplement the various National Guard components tasked with maintaining public safety and order during the war to combat this pandemic virus.

PS: A rhetorical question: How the many nicotine addicts, some you may know, who cannot go a single day without a cigarette? What lengths will they go to acquire a "smoke"?

* Members of the Coronavirus Task Force Hold a Press Briefing:
     https://youtu.be/oIJ4Ph_1kiM

D. Robin Barker

On 3/13/2020 at 11:24 AM, Redoubt said:

The only other advice I would respectfully include would be to use care after handling a restaurant menu, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how to use an ATM with my elbow. ????