Buying A New Mobile Phone

Due East

Where is the best place to buy a new mobile phone (looking for a Sony Ericsson) in Chiang Mai? Either in terms of price, selection, or service. An English speaker would be a bonus.

Thanks.

try 3rd floor Airport Plaza, best range of cellphone retailers in CM -IMHO

new walkman phone coming out should be a good one

Where is the best place to buy a new mobile phone (looking for a Sony Ericsson) in Chiang Mai? Either in terms of price, selection, or service. An English speaker would be a bonus.

All phones can be used in any language. :o And for the purchasing itself, any dialogue in any language with the seller would be much more likely to add confusion/misinformation rather than clarity. I'd seek out the phone you like on www.mobileburn.com, then check price and availabiliy in Thailand at www.jaymarts.com , then go to any Jay Mart shop, point, request a new box, and pay money.

There's Jay Mart outlets in the shopping malls as well as most of the hypermarket stores. Jay Mart is a tiny little bit more expensive than the cheapo stores/booths that may be there one day, gone the next, but for that extra money you do get a phone that comes out of the box for the first time in front of you. I don't like to buy phones that may have been demo'd or toyed with like you'd get at smaller outlets.

Also, the Nokia E65 kicks Sony's W880I's bottom.

not according to CNET :D

I have a Nokia btw and wouldnt mind a N91, just so I dont need to carry 2 devices (phone & mp3) :o

compare Nokia E65

With the exception of a couple of design flaws, the sexy slider Nokia E65 is a good voice-centric Symbian smart phone that also offers various wireless options and productivity tools. Read review 7.0

Very good Email me when this product becomes available

compare Sony Ericsson W800i

The Sony Ericsson W800i is the best-of-breed MP3 cell phone to date. Read review 7.6

Very good Email me when this product becomes available

i like the nokia 1110i :D sure as hel_l does the job of a mobile phone.

Nokia 6639 all the way, packed full of features and built in swiss army knife!! :o

post-15912-1176111630_thumb.jpg

Nokia 6639 all the way, packed full of features and built in swiss army knife!! :o

not good enough donnyboy, they could have done better with built in hammer drill and perhaps a jumper cable. :D

not good enough donnyboy, they could have done better with built in hammer drill and perhaps a jumper cable. :D

dont forget the special "songkran" version with built in squirt gun

> i like the nokia 1110i smile.gif sure as hel_l does the job of a mobile phone.

Yes, I like that one too!!!! For me I'd either get one of those (bare-bones phone with excellent reception, battery life, voice quality) OR a proper smartphone that does internet stuff, (say, Nokia E50 or E65 though I might drool over N95) but for sure's hel_l no fashion-phone nonsense in between.

> Nokia 6639 all the way, packed full of features and built in swiss army knife!

darmnn, made me click & google. :o

Edited by chanchao

> i like the nokia 1110i smile.gif sure as hel_l does the job of a mobile phone.

Yes, I like that one too!!!! For me I'd either get one of those (bare-bones phone with excellent reception, battery life, voice quality) OR a proper smartphone that does internet stuff, (say, Nokia E50 or E65 though I might drool over N95) but for sure's hel_l no fashion-phone nonsense in between.

> Nokia 6639 all the way, packed full of features and built in swiss army knife!

darmnn, made me click & google. :D

:D:o would be a great phone eh?

Thanks.

Pan Tip plaza - on the corner of Chang Klan and Sri Donchai - has a Sony Store with all the goods. They are very helpful and their aftersales serviceis excellent.

CB

>> Also, the Nokia E65 kicks Sony's W880I's bottom.

> not according to CNET

CNET apparently don't need WiFi or the ability to load an incredible range of software. Nokia S60 series will let you do just about anything on the internet, and with a wireless bluetooth QWERTY keyboard you can be pretty productive with it. A particular favourite is the availabilty of PuTTY (a SSH client) for it, so you can run a Linux computer at home and connect to it using SSH, then do absolutely everything and with minimal use of grps-kilobytes to your phone..

Also there's the small things that make a smart-phone truly smart.. Like ever since the very first Nokia S60 phone it had the ability to multitask several open applications, and use cut/copy/paste text in between those applications. It's a small detail that you won't find in spec sheets or mentioned in reviews, but it makes such a difference..

Sony Ericsson... it's a fashion phone that plays music (And apparently does that bit very well), and has a bunch of Java games available. Izza toy! :o

Excuse me while I go back to drooling over N95. :D It has (*#&$*&*# GPS built in too!!

Edited by chanchao

> not according to CNET

CNET apparently don't need WiFi or the ability to load an incredible range of software. Nokia S60 series will let you do just about anything on the internet, and with a wireless bluetooth QWERTY keyboard you can be pretty productive with it. A particular favourite is the availabilty of PuTTY (a SSH client) for it, so you can run a Linux computer at home and connect to it using SSH, then do absolutely everything and with minimal use of grps-kilobytes to your phone..

Also there's the small things that make a smart-phone truly smart.. Like ever since the very first Nokia S60 phone it had the ability to multitask several open applications, and use cut/copy/paste text in between those applications. It's a small detail that you won't find in spec sheets or mentioned in reviews, but it makes such a difference..

Sony Ericsson... it's a fashion phone that plays music (And apparently does that bit very well), and has a bunch of Java games available. Izza toy! :o

Excuse me while I go back to drooling over N95. :D It has (*#&$*&*# GPS built in too!!

few years back, top of the range nokia's were in the vicinity of 10,000 baht plus max. nowdays they go into 30k's. just dont see them being worth buying that much anymore. i think motorola's seem to offer a more value for money handset. sony's are priced well too but the price of sony MS sure makes a buyer think twice. i have an older Z520i flip SE phone. it sure creates a scene when it rings through its ultra loud crisp speaker. lovely simple phone. the upgrade to it 530i retails at a mere THB4990.

nevertheless just bought the missus a N72 new sparking red coloured phone. she loves it. phew! got back my old Nokia 6600. (still a Symbian phone that does a lot). realized that they still selling that model at THB6990!

edit: just to add that the Motorola Z3 MOTORIZR is a good buy at THB8990. nice nice phone.

Edited by tigerbeer

> not according to CNET

few years back, top of the range nokia's were in the vicinity of 10,000 baht plus max. nowdays they go into 30k's. just dont see them being worth buying that much anymore. i think motorola's seem to offer a more value for money handset. sony's are priced well too but the price of sony MS sure makes a buyer think twice. i have an older Z520i flip SE phone. it sure creates a scene when it rings through its ultra loud crisp speaker. lovely simple phone. the upgrade to it 530i retails at a mere THB4990.

nevertheless just bought the missus a N72 new sparking red coloured phone. she loves it. phew! got back my old Nokia 6600. (still a Symbian phone that does a lot). realized that they still selling that model at THB6990!

edit: just to add that the Motorola Z3 MOTORIZR is a good buy at THB8990. nice nice phone.

my g/f got a N70 about 6 months ago if that, when they 1st come out anyway- 18,000 B, now I see them on special for 10,500 !!

it pays to wait till the honeymoon periods over before buying it.

for me Im sticking with mine till it wears out or i lose it.

> not according to CNET

Sony Ericsson... it's a fashion phone that plays music (And apparently does that bit very well), and has a bunch of Java games available. Izza toy! :D

my g/f got a N70 about 6 months ago if that, when they 1st come out anyway- 18,000 B, now I see them on special for 10,500 !!

i can recomend the nokia N93i :D now i got a all in one phone for my holyday..3,2M camera(carl zeiss lens) 1gb memory up to 1 hour video(vith 2 gb card 2 hours) 3x optic zoom...I JUST LOVE IT... :D but ok..i paid about 20 K for it.. :o

> not according to CNET

i can help u in losing it :D

> not according to CNET

Sony Ericsson... it's a fashion phone that plays music (And apparently does that bit very well), and has a bunch of Java games available. Izza toy! :D

i can help u in losing it :D

im sure you could but you might have to get in line. the g/fs sister, a few of her offspring have clamped eyes on it and asked if they could have it.

now, whats the thai phrase for "get lost"? :o

> few years back, top of the range nokia's were in the vicinity of 10,000 baht plus

> max. nowdays they go into 30k's. just dont see them being worth buying that much anymore.

Actually, no. I remember buying the ENTRY level Symbian phone a few years back (3650) , which then cost abotut 16K baht. Currently entry level Symbian phones are under 10K.

Or you can go further back, but then honestly a phone with a monochrome display that only goes 'beep beep' can't really compare with the current top of the line model that's basically a laptop replacement and has built in 5MP camera, video player, music player, internet/WiFi, and GPS!

Buy all those things separately 'a few years ago' and you'd spend around 100K baht, if not more.

Or you can go further back, but then honestly a phone with a monochrome display that only goes 'beep beep' can't really compare with the current top of the line model that's basically a laptop replacement and has built in 5MP camera, video player, music player, internet/WiFi, and GPS!

Buy all those things separately 'a few years ago' and you'd spend around 100K baht, if not more.

chanchao now ur talking top of the line. i wonder how good the quality of the photos would be as compared to have a proper 5mp cam. the CCD or sensor in a phone would be too small to have any proper pictures without noise.

about the video taking part, that sure catches my attention. how good of a resolution are we talking about for the video on the N95?

chanchao now ur talking top of the line. i wonder how good the quality of the photos would be as compared to have a proper 5mp cam. the CCD or sensor in a phone would be too small to have any proper pictures without noise.

about the video taking part, that sure catches my attention. how good of a resolution are we talking about for the video on the N95?

Can you use these mobile phones to make telephone calls?

Edited by Blinky Bill

Can you use these mobile phones to make telephone calls?

chanchao? where are u ? :o

AIS are quoting 28,950 for the N95.

Is it worth it or are there other brand mobiles with similar facilities ?

I read on T.Visa that Nokia are more expensive because of the brand name while not providing a superior product.

I,ve looked at the N95 and intend to check it out again when I go to the U.K. shortly.

Seriously thinking of buying if the feed back is positive.

marshbags :o

I was in Airport Plaza a couple of days back and checked at about four shops asking what models (of telephones) that they had that you could use Blackberry on.

None had heard of Blackberry ( I am sure that they thought that I was talking about some sort of fruit)

So don't go expecting any tech savvy answers or advice around AP

I went home and found on the web that Nokia have a "blackberry" fone and there is another called Pearl.

You may not be wanting this sort of fone but don't expect too much from the brains trust when you are looking for a fone.

They are there to sell fones "nothing more and nothing less"

I was in Airport Plaza a couple of days back and checked at about four shops asking what models (of telephones) that they had that you could use Blackberry on.

None had heard of Blackberry ( I am sure that they thought that I was talking about some sort of fruit)

So don't go expecting any tech savvy answers or advice around AP

I went home and found on the web that Nokia have a "blackberry" fone and there is another called Pearl.

You may not be wanting this sort of fone but don't expect too much from the brains trust when you are looking for a fone.

They are there to sell fones "nothing more and nothing less"

yes but some of the staff do look good thou :o - I always try to do some investigation work online to find out the pros and cons of whatever Im wanting to buy (tech stuff anyway) then do the actual shopping around for the best deal @ the stores.

Thanks.

try 3rd floor Airport Plaza, best range of cellphone retailers in CM -IMHO

new walkman phone coming out should be a good one

My father worked on the software for this new walkman phone. He wasn't very complimentary about the working environment and the importance placed on bug testing etc. I would hang back on buying this if I were you. Wait and see what the released product is like.

Personally, I dislike the Sony Ericsson stuff. Those stupid joysticks to move round, that never select what you want them to! Bah! :o Stick with Nokia I say!

Only my pennies worth! :D

Cheers

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys!

Sorry to bust in....

I'd like to ask for your advice on something....

I'm visting Thailand for two weeks, on a road trip.

I would like to get a cheap mobile phone (used or rental is fine) just for emergencies.

At the end of the trip, I'd like to give it to someone who needs one.

60-80 minutes of air time will be more than enough.

I checked some related info on the net, and renting seems a pain in the a**!

Deposits, etc....

Thanks,

D.

Hello Guys!

Sorry to bust in....

I'd like to ask for your advice on something....

I'm visting Thailand for two weeks, on a road trip.

I would like to get a cheap mobile phone (used or rental is fine) just for emergencies.

At the end of the trip, I'd like to give it to someone who needs one.

60-80 minutes of air time will be more than enough.

I checked some related info on the net, and renting seems a pain in the a**!

Deposits, etc....

Thanks,

D.

hi dandaman, you havent burst in on anything as we finished commenting on this post 5 weeks ago :o

you can have a look for cheap used phones in many places, Airport Central Plaza, Gad Suan Gow Mall etc and buy a contract free sim card and top it up.

Most models to suit all budgets available there. Beats renting as you can take the phone home or give it away after your trip. I would guess the prices would start from about 700 baht maybe less for a 2nd hand phone