Immigration Clueless

Went to Chiang Mai immigration today with my passport to ask if I could get another 30-day stamp in Mae Sai after 3x30-day stamps and a tourist visa 60+30 days. They said they did not know how Mae Sai immigration would add up my days, but I could get a 7 day extension in Chiang Mai for 1,900 Baht. If immigration does not know, then who?

If you have not stayed outside of Thailand overnight you will not be allowed to obtain a 30 day entry stamp. If you take up the offer of a 7 day extension of stay you may be into a new 6 month period and some crossings seem to believe you can start new 30 days stamps in that case (but I would seriously consider getting another tourist visa if I were intending to say another two or three months) as we can not really say what will happen.

Sorry mate

This is NOT going to work. The reason - the 6 month period is counted backwards from the date you try to make your "free visa stamp". So they will count backwards for 6 months and see that you have been in Thailand for 3 months on a proper tourist visa and three months already on "free visa stamps".

What you have to do is to get another 2 month + 1 month extension tourist visa and then you can get three more free "visa on arrivals".

So you CAN do:

3 X 1 month visa runs

2 month tourist visa + plus 1 month extention

2 month tourist visa + plus 1 month extention (again)

3 X 1 month visa runs

2 month tourist visa + plus 1 month extention

2 month tourist visa + plus 1 month extention (again)

3 X 1 month visa runs

Also you may leave yourself a couple of days short so you need to stay out of Thailand for a few days at least

When you try to make your stamp in Mae Sai they will give you 2 days to leave the counrty or you WILL be arrested. So make sure you have plenty of cash enough to get to Vientianne or wherever to get a tourist visa.

Went to Chiang Mai immigration today with my passport to ask if I could get another 30-day stamp in Mae Sai after 3x30-day stamps and a tourist visa 60+30 days. They said they did not know how Mae Sai immigration would add up my days, but I could get a 7 day extension in Chiang Mai for 1,900 Baht. If immigration does not know, then who?

Each office of the Thai immigration police is separate, and each officer makes their own decision. The office in Chiang Mai is not a border crossing, so they don't know exactly what the border office does in each case. I have found them, however, to know what they are doing. Good luck.

I wouldn't trust my stay in Thailand on some special formula. That may not work. You just never know.

=====================================================================

This is NOT going to work. The reason - the 6 month period is counted backwards from the date you try to make your "free visa stamp". So they will count backwards for 6 months and see that you have been in Thailand for 3 months on a proper tourist visa and three months already on "free visa stamps".

=====================================================================

If you get another 7 days extension on your TR it will take you into your 'new' 6 months, as lopburi said.

Without the extension you're like 3 days short .... any extension (of one of your VOA's or TR's) might be OK.

Edited by sniffdog

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! ok im lost here, since oct21 06 i have had 89 days in country, left there on 12th march, going back on the 01may to pick up my GF and go to the uk, while there i will get a mulpitle entry O type, so when i arrive in may do i have to have a tourist visa or can i enter on the 30 exemtpion.

this whole thing has got me confused.

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! ok im lost here, since oct21 06 i have had 89 days in country, left there on 12th march, going back on the 01may to pick up my GF and go to the uk, while there i will get a mulpitle entry O type, so when i arrive in may do i have to have a tourist visa or can i enter on the 30 exemtpion.

this whole thing has got me confused.

You're confused, what about the poor immigration officers, there seems to be zero consitency (training) in how the rule is applied, or even how the 6 month period is calculated (rolling, count back, fixed).

The safe option is the tourist visa, particularly as you are likely near the line.

the 6 month period is counted backwards from the date you try to make your "free visa stamp". So they will count backwards for 6 months and see that you have been in Thailand for 3 months on a proper tourist visa and three months already on "free visa stamps".

Some have reported that fixed periods starting from the first entry after october are being used. This is my experience, actually a fellow traveller who got issued 4 days when he'd only used 30 in the six months since his first entry (it was 4 days to the end of the 6 month period).

Who the <deleted> really knows. The 3x30 / 2xTV+extension / 3x30 scenario should work either way :o