Does Bank Of America Wire Transfer To Thailand?

jumnien

My friend says his bank manager at Bank of America in the US won't let him wire tranfer money from his US account to Thailand citing money-laundering problems or something. This sounds pretty bogus to me as I tranfer from Morgan Stanley and Wells Fargo Bank with no problem. Anyone with any problems wire transfering from US banks to Thailand? I appreciate your experience. Thanks.

mdeland,

Been doing it for about a year and half. Fees are steep, but they do it. You need to set up a wire transfer arrangement, get a PIN number and a bunch of other stuff, but yes, BOA does send wire transfers to my wifws bank account.

Wired $2000. to a friend's bank account in Thailand about 1 month ago from Bank of America in California. Just filled out a form and paid a fee of about $40. and it was a very simple procedure. I do not know if their are any limits on the amount you send before it starts creating problems such as the one you mentioned.

if the money is more than $10,000 they might have u fill out some more forms because it's a suggestions to the bank that this might be some sort of criminal activity. but otherwise i don't know why they would prevent anyone from sending money into Thailand.

i've never wired from BOA, but i use another bank and it's $30 per wire.

As noted you can do this, I have in both directions. If you are doing this on a regular basis there are cheaper ways. There are a number of threads on this in the business/forum forum. For instance Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York City that you can treat like a US bank for account to account transfers and then they move it to the Thai account. Depending on the starting and ending bank there are other options.

One added note, at BofA make sure you note on the transfer form to send fund in dollars; otherwise, BofA will give you a poor exchange rate and then send the funds in local currency. As other have noted, BofA fees on international wires are quite high, but usually it is not worth the hassle of taking the funds elsewhere for the wire transfer if you do your banking there.

My friend says his bank manager at Bank of America in the US won't let him wire tranfer money from his US account to Thailand citing money-laundering problems or something. This sounds pretty bogus to me as I tranfer from Morgan Stanley and Wells Fargo Bank with no problem. Anyone with any problems wire transfering from US banks to Thailand? I appreciate your experience. Thanks.

I transfer $1000 every month from my Wells Fargo account and it costs me $15 (although the form I sign says the cost is $30). It always goes through without a hitch.

A couple of months ago, I went to BoA in Tampa, FL. where I've been their customer for many years, trying to wire transfer my money to Bangkok. Their representative told me it would cost me 55USD for the service. It seems a little steep. It is one flat rate to wire any amount you want to wire.

I will stick with taking cashier check or travel checks.

I have been wiring $$ to Thailand for the past three years from my BoA account. Amounts have been from $150 to $6,000, and each time my bank charged me the same $15 service fee.

chuck6660, good to know that you'd found the best service from BoA by getting away with a $15 service fee. Where and how you got it ?

I'm asking because my bank wants an outrageous fee for wiring service. But they let me get travel check or cashier check free of charge anytime. I don't think BoA knows how to keep its customer happies. You should give whatever a customer want especially a long term and a good one. Me and hubby have several accounts with the combines of six figures, yet they did not budge. The reason we still patronize them for it's very close to where we live, it's convenient.

Thanks in advance for your reply

When I first came to Thailand I had a BOA account in California. Their internet service let me send money from bank to bank within the USA. Bangkok Bank in NY is considered a stateside bank for this purpose.

I use to send my money to Bangkok Bank NY. BOA charged me $3. Bangkok Bank NY would SWIFT it to the USA for $5. Bangkok Bank Thailand would charge no more than 200 baht to convert it from dollars to baht.

Total cost is around $13.

I have been wiring $$ to Thailand for the past three years from my BoA account. Amounts have been from $150 to $6,000, and each time my bank charged me the same $15 service fee.

chuck6660, good to know that you'd found the best service from BoA by getting away with a $15 service fee. Where and how you got it ?

I'm asking because my bank wants an outrageous fee for wiring service. But they let me get travel check or cashier check free of charge anytime. I don't think BoA knows how to keep its customer happies. You should give whatever a customer want especially a long term and a good one. Me and hubby have several accounts with the combines of six figures, yet they did not budge. The reason we still patronize them for it's very close to where we live, it's convenient.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Tinkelbell,

I bank through the Community Bank/ Bank of America on a US Army base in Korea. They are manged by BoA and my wire transfers go through Bangkok Bank in NY, to my wife's Bangkok Bank account in BKK. The charge has been $15 for the last 3 years.