Nationwide Security Alert For Songkran

george

I wanted travel to thailand next week , I cancel it ?

NO. There's probably more chance of you being caught in an air crash on your way over than being caught by a bomb in Thailand.

I would rather take my chances with the aircraft as a new yorker I would have never dreamed in a million years terrorist would fly two planes in to the WTC I live in Udon Thani I will stay home I don't need to get water thrown on me and also risk being in a place I should not be in keep in mind this is thailand if anything happens to you You are on your own no law suits or hospital bills being paid by the govt. if you should get injured and not killed I hope every falong stays home and those who were thinking about coming here cancels there trip

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Australia is having another crack at ruining Thailand's tourist industry, by putting the frighteners on traveling in the Kingdom. The second time in only a couple of months.

australia has one of the worst human abuses records in history; they have always been Asia's natural enemy, the yellow peril and keep australia white policies. It is only in the last few years that they have come to realise the importance of good relations with it's Asian neighbours, especially after being dumped by Britain & Europe who no longer require importing in bulk australia`s lamb produce.

In these troubled times, it is no longer absolutely safe to travel anywhere in the world, including all major cities. It appears that australia still regards many Asian countries as backward, dangerous and of inferior infrastructure.

Sadly australia is a leopard that cannot change its spots.

You have forgotten to take your medication again hav'nt you. You silly little boy, go and take it now otherwise their will be a nice little white van come for you. They have a lovely back-to-front jacket for you so you dont have to put up with that dribble running off your chin and down your chest.

I guess your forum name says it all...'distorted'!!! :o

Security threats in Bangkok dismissed

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has dismissed concerns reportedly expressed by some countries over security in Thailand following Monday's bombing in Bangkok.

Responding to reports that the Australian governmen had advised Australians planning to visit Thailand to exercise caution following the bombing at a Bangkok cinema on Monday night, Tharit Jarungwat, Director-General of the Department of Information and Spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the Australian government was entitled to warn its citizens.

However, Mr. Tharit said Thailand's security is sufficient. A large number of security forces have been mobilised to maintain peace and order, and help both Thais and foreigners during the Songkran festival, Thailand's New Year, beginning late this week, the foreign ministry spokesman said.

Mr. Tharit suggested that before giving such warnings to their citizens about any possible untoward incidents in Thailand, foreign countries should first examine and ask for information from the Thai authorities first.

No casualty or injury was reported in the Monday night bomb in Bangkok. The motivation behind the bombing is being investigated. Initially, the authorities ruled out the possibility the bomb was linked to the insurgency in the country's restive South.

--TNA 2007-04-11

Security threats in Bangkok dismissed

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has dismissed concerns reportedly expressed by some countries over security in Thailand following Monday's bombing in Bangkok.

Responding to reports that the Australian governmen had advised Australians planning to visit Thailand to exercise caution following the bombing at a Bangkok cinema on Monday night, Tharit Jarungwat, Director-General of the Department of Information and Spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the Australian government was entitled to warn its citizens.

However, Mr. Tharit said Thailand's security is sufficient. A large number of security forces have been mobilised to maintain peace and order, and help both Thais and foreigners during the Songkran festival, Thailand's New Year, beginning late this week, the foreign ministry spokesman said.

Mr. Tharit suggested that before giving such warnings to their citizens about any possible untoward incidents in Thailand, foreign countries should first examine and ask for information from the Thai authorities first.

No casualty or injury was reported in the Monday night bomb in Bangkok. The motivation behind the bombing is being investigated. Initially, the authorities ruled out the possibility the bomb was linked to the insurgency in the country's restive South.

--TNA 2007-04-11

That wonderful wizard of Oz and Bush's poodle - Howard - does seem trigger happy in labelling everywhere as filled with terrorists. One can only hope the Australian people see fit in getting rid of Bush's lover in the upcoming election.

I am due to visit in October, but I will be watching the media and if more bombing happen then I will change my plans. Say what you like but I only have one life and body and if there is a chance of me standing near a bomb yet to explode..... Well I don't want to risk it when the risk is greater than it need be.

Here at home I don't go to ATMs at night.

I don't count my money while walking down a dark street.

I don't cross the street against fast moving traffic

I don't vacation in terrorist hot spots.

Lets just hope that Bangkok does not become a terrorist hot spot.

If you stay away from certain parts of the country, mostly the deep south, there aren't any bombing, really. The one's in Bangkok were more show, it would seem. People are dying almost everyday down south, not in Bangkok... Also October is a long time from now. Things are always changing in Thailand. :o And a final though: Why do you want to go to Bangkok, when there are so many more beautiful places to go to in Thailand?

Ok look at it this way :

Bangkok has 15,million people more or less

if 3 people are hurt or killed that's a

1 in 5,000,000 chance it's you.

In Thailand total around 65 million less 5 mil. for the deep south,

that's 60 million souls, if 5 get hurt that's a

1 in 12,000,000 chance it's you...

So many more will be harmed on the roads it's a ridiculous odds difference

Ok figure 1,000 road deaths nationally, without the deep south,

for the Songkran 4-5 day holliday only,

a 1 in 60,000 chance it's you.

This compares to USA road statistics for 60s-80's.

It's more dangerous on the Koh Samui roads daily

than going out in Bangkok, for Songkran.

Hardly anyone thinks to go to Yala, etc, for Songkran

if they don't have family there..

Either you cower at home and never go out,

or just get on with life and enjoy it.

Your time to be called

where ever you will be called to,

will be your time one way or another...

A reasonable amount of precaution in life is OK,

it's logical, but excessive caution is paranoia.

I have much more fear a drunken fool will pass a car

on a blind corner, outside a motorcycle also passing

into unknown oncoming traffic, fully expecting them to

get out of THEIR lane to let him finish passing,

than a bomb will go off near me.

Or that some twit will pull out in front of me, from behind a parked car,

on a moped, without looking, 3 meters in front of me and get hit,

and the cops will of COURSE blame the farang...

I JUST saw this scene 3 meters from me 4 days ago.

Poor S.O.B on the bike was VERY bad, and sadly his fault completely.

But the odds of this are MUCH, MUCH lower than a bomb attack.

I HAVE been in the vicinity of real bomb attacks ;

in Paris '95

I got my paper and 20 minutes later the 1st of

the gas canister bomb series went off next to my news stand.

And was also I a block away from the 1st World Trade center bombing

in New York '93. Felt that one too.

I figure my personal quota of proximity is quite used up.

Still the odds are just way up there...

Go out and have a good life,

The 2 incidents above haven't stopped me...

Edited by animatic

It is not supposed to be a "water fight". It is supposed to be the Thais sprinkling a little water on the hands of their elders as a sign of respect. The Thai youths extended it to fun by splashing each other with water on a very hot day.

Not everyone enjoys it. Not the person going out for dinner in the evening and getting a bucket full of water thrown at him/her; not the motorcyclist having a water hose turned on him, losing control and breaking his head on the road; not the families cremating loved ones after accidents; not the hospitals; not the police; not the resident farangs who flee the country or stay indoors for the duration.

IMHO Songkran changed to water fights because farangs got in on the act with their crazy behaviour.

IMHO the authorities should ban farangs under 60 years of age from the streets of Pattaya (where I am) for the duration of Songkran.

Make you mind up matey, who started it then, thais or farangs? :o:D

Thai children and teens had harmless fun 'splashing' each other - a far call from turning a hose on a motor cyclist, something I have seen only farangs do here in Pattaya.

It doesn't really matter who 'started' it. What matters is when it is going to be stopped. Eventually the carnage will be unacceptable and then the authorities will stop the sale of liquor during Songkran and everybodybody found drunk driving, using high power water guns, using hoses, throwing ice, will be put in the monkey house and/or heavily fined. And the farangs deported.

What matters is when it is going to be stopped. Eventually the carnage will be unacceptable and then the authorities will stop the sale of liquor during Songkran and everybodybody found drunk driving, using high power water guns, using hoses, throwing ice, will be ...

Have to agree.

Most of the Thais I know in Chiang Mai are somewhere else for S K, if they can be. Many foreigners, too. The city has felt very empty for the last week.

Fun is fun, but wanton recklessness just is not, esp. if you have kids or older folk to watch out for.

No wonder middle aged and older Thais seem to dislike the new way of "celebrating".

No wonder they lament the revision of this important, Buddhist event.

I would rather take my chances with the aircraft as a new yorker I would have never dreamed in a million years terrorist would fly two planes in to the WTC I live in Udon Thani I will stay home I don't need to get water thrown on me and also risk being in a place I should not be in keep in mind this is thailand if anything happens to you You are on your own no law suits or hospital bills being paid by the govt. if you should get injured and not killed I hope every falong stays home and those who were thinking about coming here cancels there trip

Dude, have you ever heard of a period? It's what you put at the end of a sentence instead of running on and on like you did here.

There should be a standing travelers' warning for NY City as it's more dangerous than anywhere in Thailand. Drive-by shootings, random acts of violence and heavily armed Christians... what could be more dangerous? :o

Been here for 15 Songkrans....nothing more fun than a good water fight on a hot day.....everyone enjoy !!

It is not supposed to be a "water fight". It is supposed to be the Thais sprinkling a little water on the hands of their elders as a sign of respect. The Thai youths extended it to fun by splashing each other with water on a very hot day.

Not everyone enjoys it. Not the person going out for dinner in the evening and getting a bucket full of water thrown at him/her; not the motorcyclist having a water hose turned on him, losing control and breaking his head on the road; not the families cremating loved ones after accidents; not the hospitals; not the police; not the resident farangs who flee the country or stay indoors for the duration.

IMHO Songkran changed to water fights because farangs got in on the act with their crazy behaviour.

IMHO the authorities should ban farangs under 60 years of age from the streets of Pattaya (where I am) for the duration of Songkran.

Been here for 15 Songkrans....nothing more fun than a good water fight on a hot day.....everyone enjoy !!

At least most Thais were having fun and were respectful. It's the drunken, obnoxious Farangs that were the problem.