Do You Avoid Silom/suk When With Your Gf

Furbie

one of the strange thing ive noticed about a lot of farang is that they have no reservations about parading around with prostitutes on monday but at the same time they are mad on friday when they take the girl from their office out and people think she is of a similar status as the girl from monday.

many of the guys who are now in long term relationships now with a good girl spent time in these areas with the not so good girls, so why are you so angry when they think your current girl is a working girl. maybe they just remember your face from last month.

(i do not mean this at any particular person here, but i have seen this type of hypocrisy from many many many farang in Thailand)

If you would have spent longer on Thaivisa you would have realised that the guys here only date or marry accountants or lawyers and then, only if they are realted to Generals, Princes etc...

Oh, and they always start the description with "my girl is not a bar girl, she worked at (insert accounting, lawyer, marketing firm - here) and is (inser Hi-So, related to a general, or in fact some sort of princess - here)".

Really when I meet people who when first meeting their wives or girlfriends feel the need to state their occupation, my first thought is "so, you met her in a gilry bar then".

It's a shame that most guys feel they have to quickly communicate facts to prove their partner is a decent girl, but it's pretty obvious why they have to. Look at how many young and older guys there are with girls so dodgy they'd look out of place in CM2, not to mention those girls who try a little too hard to look hi-so but end up looking like a Ratchada girl with slightly darker skin and a secretarial job mainly to pay the weekend's Qbar entrance.

I see no problem with guys mentioning the background or job of their partner to distinguish them from the majority, but an office job doesn't just give them the thumbs up, other factors come into it which the Thais especially will be more receptive to: looks being in the same league, girl's height and skin colour, attire of both, speech, body language, close ages.

Sometimes no matter what you do, some people will always assume a Thai/farang couple is dodgy (taxi drivers talking down to the girl and hi-so closed-minded folk for example). You have to make quite an effort not to be placed in that category, but I for one like to destroy their prejuduces. My wife, her colleagues and her family also care about reputation and being quickly judged. Contrary to some other posters, I find being longer in Bangkok makes me want to make more of an effort to dress better (instead of "giving up"), I believe that 80% of Thai girls WOULD date a decent foreigner if given the chance of meeting him in the right circumstances (as opposed to 80% wouldn't)...and yes, that even goes for the middle classes/white skinned/wealthy ones. Whether they're generally compatible with foreigners is another matter. I also choose to avoid Silom at night, Nana at any time and also English pubs with my partner. In UK I've never had any looks or comments that refer to my wife being "bought" or possibly being a "naughty" girl.[/b]

I got lots of daft comments & "jokes" along those lines the first few times I was in the UK but she wasn't with me. Once I had taken her to the UK and people had met her, those comments suddenly dried up, which kinda makes me think that this stuff is based on preconceptions at least as much as however your partner may look/act/dress etc etc

I'd agree that it goes a little bit wit the territory, problem beinbg that many people in the UK read papers like the Daily Mail, which are always good at putting in a few sensationalist stories about how Thai girls are bad. I remeber about 4 years ago, there was a usual crap article in the Mail about Thai girls as mail order brides and how they had come over to the UK and ripped old 60 year old Brian off for so much money. It was really a tedious piece of drivel, and funnily enough one of my employee's at the time then had the cheek to ask me if I had to support all of her family and did I pay them. Suffice to say, her employment didn't last much longer after that comment. Once Mrs Toad was in the UK, I can only say that the experience that I had was very positive, and she was made to feel very welcome in my local village and also the surrounding towns. Even now after being over here together for the last two years people are always asking my parents to send their regards. Maybe, I come from a smaller and more tranquil part of the UK, but I certainly have no time for those people who try to look down on people if they are with someone from a different background. If you are happy, then that is all that matters.

and funnily enough one of my employee's at the time then had the cheek to ask me if I had to support all of her family and did I pay them. Suffice to say, her employment didn't last much longer after that comment...

my what power you have! maybe she was just curious as to your 'exotic' relationship and wanted to ask a few (albeit personal) questions. As a result someone lost their job just for those comments? I dont think so, no wonder you came to Thailand to 'live' :o

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and funnily enough one of my employee's at the time then had the cheek to ask me if I had to support all of her family and did I pay them. Suffice to say, her employment didn't last much longer after that comment...

my what power you have! maybe she was just curious as to your 'exotic' relationship and wanted to ask a few (albeit personal) questions. As a result someone lost their job just for those comments? I dont think so, no wonder you came to Thailand to 'live' :o

Thanks for clarifying that, I should have mentioned that she was fired on the basis of gross misconduct, sleeping whilst on duty, falsification of time sheets and mileage claims. So no, she didn't lose her job on those comments. The point being that there are certain people who are very quick to make accusations or assumptions and portray them selves as always being on the morale high ground. Thanks anyway, you've managed to prove the point

" I should have mentioned that she was fired on the basis of gross misconduct, sleeping whilst on duty, falsification of time sheets and mileage claims"

actually mr toad I didnt realise you were talking about Thai Immigra tion , deepest apologies :D:o

" I should have mentioned that she was fired on the basis of gross misconduct, sleeping whilst on duty, falsification of time sheets and mileage claims"

actually mr toad I didnt realise you were talking about Thai Immigra tion , deepest apologies :D:D

Be careful, apparently they monitor this site :o

Thanks for clarifying that, I should have mentioned that she was fired on the basis of gross misconduct, sleeping whilst on duty, falsification of time sheets and mileage claims. So no, she didn't lose her job on those comments. The point being that there are certain people who are very quick to make accusations or assumptions and portray them selves as always being on the morale high ground. Thanks anyway, you've managed to prove the point

How did you know she was sleeping? Maybe she was just blinking her eyes, but slowly!

How did you know she was sleeping? Maybe she was just blinking her eyes, but slowly!

:D:D

Put it this way, this particular person had a mouth the size of the mersey tunnel, and if she was awake you can bet your life that it would be talking. Whta gave it away was that it took nearly 5 minutes minutes to actually wake her, although myself and my colleague spent about 15 minutes listening to her snoring away.

Put it this way, this particular person had a mouth the size of the mersey tunnel, and if she was awake you can bet your life that it would be talking. Whta gave it away was that it took nearly 5 minutes minutes to actually wake her, although myself and my colleague spent about 15 minutes listening to her snoring away.

was she fit mr toad? could you have sneaked her a quick one before she woke up?

Tootah, she looked like a bulldog chewing a wasp if you can picture that. Even when she was awake :D

Tootah, she looked like a bulldog chewing a wasp if you can picture that. Even when she was awake :D

Tootah, you are a dirty bugger!

Just out of curiosity, have you done such things? Doable?

I might want to do an experiment next time when the somtam lady is asleep.

What's she like then MMT? Does she have teeth? :o

What's she like then MMT? Does she have teeth? :o

I don't really know. What I know is she is female and that is enough.

I don't get it, do you mean if she doesn't have teeth, it takes her longer to wake up? :D

What's she like then MMT? Does she have teeth? :D

I don't really know. What I know is she is female and that is enough.

I don't get it, do you mean if she doesn't have teeth, it takes her longer to wake up? :D

I think you know very well what I'm getting at MMT! :o But, I am not going to put it in writing on this thread as I don't want a holiday just yet :D

Long ago I asked my wife about how most Thai's would view our relationship and she said they would assume we met in a bar. I asked how she felt about this and she replied she really didn't care. She knew that would be the case if she dated or married a falang but it did not worry her the slightest.

If it does not worry her then thats good enough for me!

We certainly would never avoid going somewhere we enjoyed because of a few small minded individuals.

I usually find my girlfriends on Silom/Sukhumvit.

Well, I hope you tell 'em to get back home and stop hookin'. :o

Up to them :D

Hmmm. I certainly wouldn't like to catch my g/f's walkin' the streets. I think I might give 'em the elbow.

Depends how much they make, I s'pose.

:D

Just to add another dimension to the discussion. If there is a large age dif. between the couple, even in your own country there will always be funny looks & remarks. Not just thailand...

As for Suk - Silom, my wife has no probs going out in either. Some of the best restaurants in town are in those areas. She just dresses normally. Most people think she is actually a tourist from another country. must be the chinese ancestry.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Seconded you. Whenever, I go out with my girlfriend and speak to Thais in Thai, and she remains silent, they think that she is Chinese. :o

the age difference is important. I say this because all you idiots- and yes, you are idiots- that get thai girls half or a third your age are asking for trouble. even if she's the nicest girl you've ever met, it's going to be assumed that she's a) got someone else saved up for when you die, :o is getting at least a good portion of the money when you die, and c) is probably with you for no other reason than a and b. mostly b.

why do I say this? because I just got through with a relationship where I found out I was the guy being saved up for when the old guy died. and this wasn't a bar girl, this wasn't somebody that was going around and looking for somebody with rolls of cash- if she was, she wouldn't have gone for me at all in the second place (;P). the story I got out of her when she told me this shit (and this is why I consider her a good girl, because she felt guilty and came out and told me what was going on) was that she lost some money when she was down south and she got stuck with an old dutch guy named (censored) who now considers her his wife of five years, even though they aren't married. it's actually more complicated than that, he's supporting her entire family pretty much on his pension... somehow, I think all hel_l is gonna break loose if he's on here reading this, but at this point, I don't care. my head is spinning from how stupid this kee is. but yeah. great girl, just has needs that weren't being met by the guy, and so she took the opportunity when one presented itself to have an outside relationship.

I need to stress that this was the ultimate good girl. in college, almost done with her degree. wanted absolutely no money out of me at all- in fact, and I find this kind of ironic, she was using the other guys money to buy me stuff. nothing major, just little things where she said "you don't have one of *those*?!" and she'd show up at my door the next day with it.

but yeah, anyway, that shit is overwith, I'm gratefull, I hope it never happens to either me or the old guy again (what do I have to hold against him? I was -ing his girl, even if he got her just out of some cultural nonsense). oh, and if you're in a situation which (from your end) looks similar, and your wife/girlfriend just got done with an internship you suggested, PM me, we might need to talk.

what was I saying?

oh, yes.

anyway, this was the ultimate 'good girl'. doing everything 100% right by her cultural standards. supporting her family, helping the old guy- who she really does love (as a father), btw. theres nothing wrong with that. but this happens to what look like great relationships and the thai people are just like "yep, knew she was a whore." no matter how good the girl was doing up until that point.

and granted, this is aimed more at the young/old relations, but it applies to some of the same-age couples as well. I've seen it before where a thai girl with a thai boyfriend her age cheated on that boyfriend with a farang kid (actually cheated, not just tried to get money out of the farang for both her and the real bf's benefit). hi-so girls are too much maintenance to be worth it. if this is what thai people do to each other, what's to stop them doing it with farangs?

Edited by Choscura

I was speaking metaphorically. she really was a good girl, and you're doing the same thing I describe the thai people as doing at the end. the simple fact was that I offered her a way out of the boredom/stagnation/whatever, and she took it just to experiment, it seems. but it's over and done with now. I don't wish her or the other guy any harm, I just think they both deserve to know the truth of what the other is doing.

I never said "yep, knew she was a whore", but any girl that is taking advantage of one man to support herself and her entire family (not to mention her other boyfriend :o ) and is cheating on that man with someone else who also isn't aware that she has (at least) another boyfriend can hardly be described as "the ultimate good girl."

Edited by BADBRAD

I never said "yep, knew she was a whore", but any girl that is taking advantage of one man to support herself and her entire family (not to mention her other boyfriend :D ) and is cheating on that man with someone else who also isn't aware that she has (at least) another boyfriend can hardly be described as "the ultimate good girl."

I was also struggling with this definition of "good girl" :D:D

Of course folk do have differing (??!! :D ) concepts of acceptable behavior and cultural norms :o