Dolly Parton pledges $1m to coronavirus vaccine research

snoop1130

Dolly Parton pledges $1m to coronavirus vaccine research

By Ben Beaumont-Thomas

1640..jpg

Dolly Parton performing at the 2019 Grammy awards. Photograph: Robyn Beck/AFP via Getty Images

Dolly Parton has donated $1m (£800,000) to research into a coronavirus vaccine, as she begins a new storytelling series for children in lockdown.

The country music star wrote on Instagram:

"My longtime friend Dr Naji Abumrad, who’s been involved in research at Vanderbilt for many years, informed me that they were making some exciting advancements towards that research of the coronavirus for a cure. I am making a donation of $1 million to Vanderbilt towards that research and to encourage people that can afford it to make donations."

Abumrad works at the Vanderbilt Institute for Infection, Immunology and Inflammation at Vanderbilt University hospital in Nashville, Tennessee. He and Parton became friends in 2014 after the singer was involved in a car accident and was treated at Vanderbilt. His son, Jad, subsequently interviewed Parton for the podcast Dolly Parton’s America.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/02/dolly-parton-1m-coronavirus-vaccine-research

4 hours ago, ozzydom said:

with a reported nett worth of 600 million ,she can afford it.

So can Trump and many others, but I don't see you complaining about them.

At least she DID something. How much did you donate?