Cleaning A/C unit

Aforek

Hello, 

I have an air condition unit ( inverter Daikin ), works well; every month, I clean the filters, as I have been told, and every year , I call a technician

to open and clean the unit; but this year, he doesn't come, I think he is afraid by the covid 19

so, can I wait more, or is it important to do the work of cleaning every year ? ; I use my unit everyday, about 5 hours a day, and it works well

I think to do the cleaning myseld, it doesn't seem too  difficult ; what do you think, and what to clean apart the filters ( no repair, just clean ) ?

thanks 

Just clean the evaporator.... Buy some evaporator cleaning foam spray

Remove your filters, protect the area below the unit with some plastic or towels then just spray the foam into the evaporator fins..

Leave it to do it's job, see directions on can.

Then get a water spray bottle and gently rinse.

That will do for now... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We were told to clean every 3 months. We didn't and the performance of our bedroom got steadily worse and worse but like the other poster we could not get anyone to come out.

Lots of youtube vids on how to so we bought a couple of cans of spray foam from Lazada, and a little long-nozzled metal Mayday gun for 178 baht ( https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=metal+water+gun&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.1ad34567EXIHyT )  plus a "bag" (https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=air-conditioner+washing+bag&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.1a05bb30LVVXah ) and a few hose fittings and some polythene tube. 

The whole lot under 1000 baht.

We got fittings to connect the polythene tube to the shower or bum-spray hose and followed the Youtube vids to remove the aircon covers, fit the bag with drain out the window (or a large bucket) and washed the unit down, spray foaming the matrix, then leaving it a while before using the water gun to flush it clean. The mould and filth the little gun washed off the fan blades was amazing, lumps of black coming down into the bag.

The outside unit was really easy, 2 screws each side, lifted off the top, used same gun inside to blast filth back out of the condenser matrix.

The results are stunning - from a setting of 20C and still barely cool air we now set at 25C and it blasts cool air out so we are not wasting electricity. We have 6 air-con units in our home, one in each of the 5 bedrooms and one in the lounge, at 500 baht a time every three months we'll be spending up to 12,000 a year just cleaning them given the filthy air near Bangkok. So my investment of 1000 has already meant I broke even after just two cleans.

And we do need to economise with all the family sharing our house!