Mo Chit Bus Station: It should be packed - but in the pandemic it's deserted

rooster59

Mo Chit Bus Station: It should be packed - but in the pandemic it's deserted

morchit.jpg

Image: MCOT

MCOT reported on what would normally be a hectic and crowded scene ahead of the Songkran new year holidays in Thailand.

Mo Chit bus station would normally have thousands of journeys heading out but now just has a trickle.

The place is deserted save for a few traffic attendants and private firms still running a skeleton service.

Most services were shut down from April 3rd until the end of the month.

Each year the Thai press contains a great deal of stories about the mass exodus from the capital Bangkok to the countryside for Songkran.

This year an attendant told the media that he had never seen anything like it. Normally Mo Chit would be heaving in April with people going for the military draft, students at the end of term and of course the Songkran holidays.

Last year they would do what they always did at Songkran - add 3,000 extra services to the 6,000 that would leave from the northern Bangkok terminal year day.

Last year there were upwards of 200,000 people a day using Mo Chit between April 10 - 13th.

Fast forward to 2020 and much of Thailand is in lockdown and intercity transport has been curtailed. Almost no one is travelling.

Just a few hundred trips are left, mostly private van firms plying routes of up to 300 kms from Bangkok. They are limited to four runs a day.

Vans going further are limited to two a day.

Source: MCOT

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-11

52 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Is Mo Chit buses all shut down for operation or it's just that nobody is taking the rides? I am thinking of going to Bangkok someday by bus.

Many transport companies have stopped their work and buses. Your best chance will probably be a wagon of death (Mini-van). On the other hand, the bus is´nt much safer. Good luck!

Edited by Matzzon

I was there yesterday evening as my GF needed a refund for a bus ticket. It was around 7pm and the building was closing. We didn't see any customer. 

BUT there was a little "army" of security guys grouped in rows near the road/on the parking. About 50 to 80 of them. No clue what that was all about ????

well damn, i was told that those places were 100% closed, i had a friend who came to visit that i paid for a private taxi from BKK to Hua Hin (1600 baht)

does anyone know if Sai Tai Mai still has buses/minivans running?

I had to bring her back by scooter yesterday morning and i saw a total of 2 minivans and one bus in 350km

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

This year an attendant told the media that he had never seen anything like it. Normally Mo Chit would be heaving in April with people going for the military draft, students at the end of term and of course the Songkran holidays.

They all went home last month.

The article misses the important point, that most Songkran dwellers went home weeks ago, just after most of those hospitality (whatever you may understand with this expression) were kicked out of their job. Some of them did not get the accrued salary, ladydrinks and due barfine shares. With no way to go, no money and possibly only some debts = flee home. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Brings up another topic:  Military Draft, how will they accomplish this during these times where people can not move about to get to a conscription sie,

postponed this April, til ......