PEA Deposit returned to Thai Nationals and businesses

A recent innovation from the electric company (PEA) was to return the deposit paid to Thai nationals and businesses for their electricity to ease the pressure on families and Covid 19. This you had to do online and the local offices and headquarters were referring you back to this if you turned up on their doorstep. I bought and live in my Condo on Samui and one year ago I paid the 4K deposit required. This was a changeover by the Developer/Owner of my Condo to get all the Condos put in the individual names. (I have since understood that Thai people and businesses only pay 2K). And while having difficulty with their website I got the lady in our office to phone 1129. She was told that the only people that qualify for the rebate are Thai nationals and Businesses. Has anyone else had similar problems with this or even been successful in retrieving their deposits with no problem? I have all the bills in my name and even still have the receipt for 4K for my deposit. 

3 hours ago, cowleyboy said:

...the only people that qualify for the rebate are Thai nationals and Businesses.

If you're not a Thai citizen – nor a business – you don't seem to be qualified.

I applied for having 50 percent of my deposit back – it's five times as high as the highest monthly usage over a 9½ year period, so fair to reduce it – it was done via the app and quickly available, but it's qualified.

I know that amounts of money are relative – i.e. smaller amounts for some, can be big amounts for others – but are one or two thousand baht a major effort worth?

8 hours ago, flexomike said:

the amount of the deposit is based on what type of meter you have, 100 amp service would be 4000 baht

Please explain little more detailed.

4,000 baht equals around 1,000 units; i.e. 1,000 kWh a month if 4 baht each.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Please explain little more detailed.

4,000 baht equals around 1,000 units; i.e. 1,000 kWh a month if 4 baht each.

It is not about units or unit price.

One pays a deposit for the meter when first having electric installed to a new building and PEA now refunds that deposit.

We got 5000baht back because we have a 30/100 3-phase meter which we once paid a high deposit for.

2 hours ago, lom said:

It is not about units or unit price.

One pays a deposit for the meter when first having electric installed to a new building and PEA now refunds that deposit.

We got 5000baht back because we have a 30/100 3-phase meter which we once paid a high deposit for.

Thanks for your reply. But my question was based on "100 amp service would be 4000 baht", which would equal a certain monthly usage, which you pay deposit for. But I don't understand "100 amp service".

For your info I also have a 30/100 3-phase meter, but 50 percent of my PEA deposit is – or now was – much higher than your's 5,000 baht, and I of course pay normal unit rate around the 4 baht directly, so it's not because someone overcharge me...????

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your reply. But my question was based on "100 amp service would be 4000 baht", which would equal a certain monthly usage, which you pay deposit for. But I don't understand "100 amp service".

I don't think the deposit was for expected monthly usage, it was a deposit only for the meter which btw was heavily overpriced from PEA.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

For your info I also have a 30/100 3-phase meter, but 50 percent of my PEA deposit is – or now was – much higher than your's 5,000 baht, and I of course pay normal unit rate around the 4 baht directly, so it's not because someone overcharge me...

Yes I have a memory of paying much much more for the meter at PEA but that was 20 years ago and I cant find the receipt now.  Daughter-in-law registered us on internet for the refund and said we were going to get 5000 baht.

Edit: checked with my son, he says we are going to get 6000 baht.

Small 5/15A single phase meter gets refunded with 500 baht according to him.

Edited by lom
  • Thanks 1