One Way Ticket Issues

Hi all i purchased a one way ticket to thailand, i have a non o multi visa but thai airways staff think that i might not be able board without a return ticket.I explained to them that i intend to live there with the wife and have sufficient funds available for living etc. I have made copys of our bank statement and also a copy from a thai embassy site stating that a onward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa. I hope this is correct as i will be flying out next week, any info or advice you guys have would be very much appreciated. :o

Edited by goldencrunchie

Hi all i purchased a one way ticket to thailand, i have a non o multi visa but thai airways staff think that i might not be able board without a return ticket.I explained to them that i intend to live there with the wife and have sufficient funds available for living etc. I have made copys of our bank statement and also a copy from a thai embassy site stating that a onward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa. I hope this is correct as i will be flying out next week, any info or advice you guys have would be very much appreciated. :o

Flew here last Sept with a one way and a non-imm b. The check-in girl checked with her

supervisor and all was OK. BUT rules are changing all the time. If you get this from a TG

person ask , politely , if they could check that with their boss.

Good luck

With a 1 year visa you can certainly enter Thailand with a O/W ticket so the airline should not prevent you from boarding. If they hesitate then with your other evidence they must let you board. Once when I had no visa and a O/W ticket I had to sign a disclaimer in case immigration would not let me in but I'm sure you'll get no problems. Who were the Thai airways staff?

As said, if the ticket agent says no have them check higher as it should not be a problem but I have often had to take it up to high levels - in one case station manager level. But be polite as they can and will refuse boarding if you give them a reason (and they can do that with anyone).

Hi,

I, only last Wednesday, visited the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull UK.

Mentioning that I had purchased a 'one way flight ticket', the Consul immediately offered to print off an authoristion letter to present at Check-In.

All the letter or notification stated, was my Name, Passport Number, Non Immigration-B Visa Number and added.... This Consulate Office, hereby entitles and enables the above named person to enter Thailand on a 'One Way' Flight Ticket.

The letter was duly signed by the Consul and sealed with the Royal Thai Consulate Seal.

There was no extra fee involved. It was a pleasure for the Consul to print off the letter for me.

I read, within the Royal Thai Consulate Website somewhere, that although some Airlines do ask questions as to a One Way Flight Ticket, there is nothing in Thai Law, rules or regulations to suggest that a one way flight ticket, with the correct Visa, is not following correct procedures. Indeed, by not allowing one way tickets at Check-In, when they obviously can.

Mike, you might check that long, recent thread on here, about the subject of onward tickets being required for non-visa stamps at the Aranyaphet-PoiPet border crossing. There, one or two posters quote Delta and maybe another major airline's official policy, and it's written in poor enough Thailish that it seems to require onward (return) tickets even for B and O visa holders, which is absurd.

You would think that TG, the country's flagship carrier, would believe a statement from a Consul. Maybe that's what you get for thinking...

Hi all i purchased a one way ticket to thailand, i have a non o multi visa but thai airways staff think that i might not be able board without a return ticket.I explained to them that i intend to live there with the wife and have sufficient funds available for living etc. I have made copys of our bank statement and also a copy from a thai embassy site stating that a onward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa. I hope this is correct as i will be flying out next week, any info or advice you guys have would be very much appreciated. :D

:o

This or a similar question seems to keep coming up.

There is and always has been a requirement for a person arriving in Thailand on a tourist visa by air to have an "onward ticket" out of Thailand. That means a ticket leaving the country when their visa is done.

Having said that, it is rarely actually enforced by Thai immigration. Most people who enter Thailand never get asked for evidence of that ticket.

The problem is that if an airline brings a person into Thailand, and that person is refused entry for some reason, the airline is responsible for transporting that person out of Thaialnd. Obviously the airlines are a little worried that they will end up footing the bill to remove an "unwanted person" from Thailand.

That is why airline personnel want to see a "outward ticket" as described above.

In more than 20 years, I have only once been asked for evidence of that ticket (by SAS staff in Copenhagen Denmark). I have never been asked by any Thai immigration official to show that ticket.

The likelyhood is that with your Non O visa you'll have no problem.

It isn't 100% certain however.

If you are really worried, and can afford the ticket, buy a outward ticket to Malaysia. Leave it open, no reservation. You can convert it in Thailand to a ticket with the same airline for a vacation trip to Singapore or such. Us the unused part of the original ticket as credit toward the cost of the outgoing and return ticket. The unused portion of the original ticket should be good for one year.

:D

There is and always has been a requirement for a person arriving in Thailand on a tourist visa by air to have an "onward ticket" out of Thailand. That means a ticket leaving the country when their visa is done.

Having said that, it is rarely actually enforced by Thai immigration. Most people who enter Thailand never get asked for evidence of that ticket.

The problem is that if an airline brings a person into Thailand, and that person is refused entry for some reason, the airline is responsible for transporting that person out of Thaialnd. Obviously the airlines are a little worried that they will end up footing the bill to remove an "unwanted person" from Thailand.

That is why airline personnel want to see a "outward ticket" as described above.

In more than 20 years, I have only once been asked for evidence of that ticket (by SAS staff in Copenhagen Denmark). I have never been asked by any Thai immigration official to show that ticket.

If you are really worried, and can afford the ticket, buy a outward ticket to Malaysia. Leave it open, no reservation. You can convert it in Thailand to a ticket with the same airline for a vacation trip to Singapore or such. Us the unused part of the original ticket as credit toward the cost of the outgoing and return ticket. The unused portion of the original ticket should be good for one year.

Sorry this is not correct.

The requirement is only there if you do not have a visa and are relying on the 30 day visa exemption stamp system,

and this is now being enforced at the land borders.

The requirement is only there if you do not have a visa and are relying on the 30 day visa exemption stamp system,

And you are not totally correct either,cause maesai does ,until now(just have been there),not any sign of asking outwards tickets. :D

And you are not totally correct either,cause maesai does ,until now(just have been there),not any sign of asking outwards tickets. :D

Some border points enfrce the rule others don't. You never knwo until you actualy cross the border what will be the requirements.

Better have a visa in case of doubt