University degree guarantee from US Embassy

Good afternoon, a requirement for obtaining a visa and work permit to teach is a notarized copy (or a notarized affidavit) of my university degree.  This must be submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Chaeng Watthana.  Currently, the US Consular Services in Bangkok is not taking appointments for notary services.  Is there another way around this requirement as long as the Embassy opens is closed for non-emergency services?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

The embassy website does state if have a emergency requirement for services you should contact them.

What is the latest date you can get one?

I am not aware of any way to get around it unless some exceptions are allowed by the Department of Employment and Immigration due to the emergency situation.

Not sure what services the Department of Consular Affairs  of the MFA are doing now either. There is an announcement here in Thai.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/news/1341/116615-สถานะการเปิดให้บริการรับรองเอกสารของสำนักงานสัญชาต.html

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy website does state if have a emergency requirement for services you should contact them.

What is the latest date you can get one?

I am not aware of any way to get around it unless some exceptions are allowed by the Department of Employment and Immigration due to the emergency situation.

Not sure what services the Department of Consular Affairs  of the MFA are doing now either. There is an announcement here in Thai.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/news/1341/116615-สถานะการเปิดให้บริการรับรองเอกสารของสำนักงานสัญชาต.html

Thanks for your quick reply.  I've contacted the Embassy and they told me by email to wait until they allow appointments again -- they can't give me a date when service will resume.  While at the MOFA today, I was told that this requirement remains.

My extension of stay for my current employer expires on 14 May.  As I understand it, I can "attach" a new work permit from my new employer to this extension if my new work permit is submitted by this date -- then apply for a new, one-year extension.  Do I understand correctly?  Thanks again for your help.

4 minutes ago, cpbkk said:

My extension of stay for my current employer expires on 14 May.  As I understand it, I can "attach" a new work permit from my new employer to this extension if my new work permit is submitted by this date -- then apply for a new, one-year extension.

You will need a work permit application approval letter for the application done by your new employer to apply for the new extension and a termination letter from your current employer to change employers for new extension.

What is is your job? A degree is not needed to apply for work permit unelss your job requires it.

Did you need the certification of your degree for your current job? You should be able to use the same one this time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What is is your job? A degree is not needed to apply for work permit unelss your job requires it.

He's a teacher...

"Good afternoon, a requirement for obtaining a visa and work permit to teach is a notarized copy (or a notarized affidavit) of my university degree...."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Word said:

He's a teacher...

"Good afternoon, a requirement for obtaining a visa and work permit to teach is a notarized copy (or a notarized affidavit) of my university degree...."

My eyes get a little tired as the day goes on so the brain sometimes misses things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry to inform you that the US embassy in Thailand does not notorize educational documentation. You would need to send it to America and have it done there and sent back. Careful reading of their website would have answered this for you without asking everyone in tvf. They have not notarized degrees for many years already. 

Edited by thesetat2013
Adding content

16 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

I'm sorry to inform you that the US embassy in Thailand does not notorize educational documentation. You would need to send it to America and have it done there and sent back. Careful reading of their website would have answered this for you without asking everyone in tvf. They have not notarized degrees for many years already. 

But he is writing about a work around to get it done here. A person can do a affidavit to self certify their degree that will be accepted after it is translated and certified.

From the embassy website.

"Affidavits
Oftentimes the Thai government requests the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General Chiang Mai “certify” documents listed under “services we cannot provide.” Please note the Embassy and Consulate CAN notarize an affidavit which may or may not satisfy the Thai requirement for “certification.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Would the one that can be obtained from some Thai law offices work for you or did they specifically tell you it had to be from an embassy? 

They will only accept an affidavit or a certification done at a embassy or a certification done in a persons home country.