Ooooops! I Appear To Have Deleted My Documents

kayo

Hi again,

Following last nights successful drive partition, before going to bed (tired, weary eyes) I wanted to move the My Docs folder to a new partition. instead of dragging, or cut'n'pasting, I for some bizarre reason, opened the properties for the folder, and changed the target.

I'm not sure why i did it this way. I was quite tired.

Everything was transferring and when it was done, I realised it had "copied" not merely moved.

So thinking, "great, everythings has moved!" I deleted the MY Docs folder on the C: drive.

And then they were both deleted!!!!

Now it isn't a massive deal, as my important stuff (tv.com smilies and avatars...) is backed up elsewhere.

Nonetheless.. is it retrievable?!

(nothing in Reycle Bin)

my_docs_target.bmp

<br />Hi again, <br /><br />Following last nights successful drive partition, before going to bed (tired, weary eyes) I wanted to move the My Docs folder to a new partition. instead of dragging, or cut'n'pasting, I for some bizarre reason, opened the properties for the folder, and changed the target. <br />I'm not sure why i did it this way. I was quite tired.<br /> <br />Everything was transferring and when it was done, I realised it had "copied" not merely moved. <br />So thinking, "great, everythings has moved!" I deleted the MY Docs folder on the C: drive. <br /><br />And then they were both deleted!!!!<br /><br />Now it isn't a massive deal, as my important stuff (tv.com smilies and avatars...) is backed up elsewhere.<br />Nonetheless.. is it retrievable?! <br /><br />(nothing in Reycle Bin) <br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

If you want to successfully retrieve them , first of all don't do anything else on the computer. The files are there, intact, until the space is used for something else. Anything you do runs a risk of overwriting parts of the disk that hold the "deleted" files. You can use several programs to recover them - Filerecoveryangel, Recover My files, Final Recovery, File Rescue etc etc

Generally, the program will read your drive, give you a list of things that can be recovered, you choose and its back. Again, if the OS decided to write over part of the deleted files diskspace it may be partially corrupted.

If you need help getting stuff back I arrive in BKK on Wednesday and have several tools.

Hi Crouton, thanks you for your prompt reply.

I've downloaded two of the programs you mentioned, and used the first one.

It's all good, and good suggestions, but frankly my HDD is still quite new and it's not worth the hassle, for me.

oh, btw, BKK is sadly very far away from me! But again, thank you for your help.

I'll just re/install the few things I lost, and thankfully I have kept my important stuff elsewhere.

Mods, I request closure.