Thailand Has 4th Fastest Internet Speeds in the World As of March 2020

Pib

15 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

One word. P@@n!

The other point is that your DL speed is only going to be as good as the UL speed from where you are downloading from.

Let's do the maths. . . Assuming a decent HD feed at 3 Mbps, you'd need around 333 videos running concurrently to fully saturate a 1 Gbps connection. That would make the viewer a hardcore w####r, my hat off to you.

Seriously, what home user needs that {rhet}

Edited by NilSS

2 hours ago, NilSS said:

Just because Australia was more of an internet joke doesn't lessen the fact Thailand was an internet joke

Ive worked or been training in every continent except for Antarctica over the last 20 years and always found Thailands Internet speed up there with the best. 
Saying that there is a country that stands out, I worked in South Korea 2010, Geoje Island, Internet speed 100mb, Soul was much faster.

Why did you say 
20 years ago, even 10 years ago, Thailand's WAN capabilities were just laughable
What are you using as your yardstick, what's your reference? 

Clearly not the yard stick you're using. I make my comments based on 20 years of living and working all over Thailand, more recently as an IT consultant working closely with CAT. IMO it's only in recent years Thailand really got it's act together in any meaningful way with the internet. The problems have been on many levels, not limited to the exorbitant prices the authorities try to charge subsea constortia for running cables via the Kra Isthmus, so ridiculous they simply chose to lay the cables the long way round. Even today, the price of international gateway bandwidth is excessively high. All that said, it's recently improved significantly. In the past, there just wasn't the capacity around the country to delivery reliable services outside Bangkok, and even in Bangkok it was often slow and unreliable.

What's your yard stick?

Edited by NilSS

3 minutes ago, NilSS said:

Clearly not the yard stick you're using. I make my comments based on 20 years of living and working all over Thailand. IMO it's only in recent years Thailand really got it's act together in any meaningful way with the internet. The problems have been on many levels, not limited to the exorbitant prices the authorities try to charge subsea constortia for running cables via the Kra Isthmus, so ridiculous they simply chose to lay the cables the long way round. Even today, the price of international gateway bandwidth is excessively high. All that said, it's recently improved significantly. In the past, there just wasn't the capacity around the country to delivery reliable services outside Bangkok, and even in Bangkok it was often slow and unreliable.

What's your yard stick?

Ive worked or been training in every continent except for Antarctica over the last 20 years...... 

The WORLD mate. 

How can you judge Thailand without experiencing the rest of the world and its speeds? 

I didn't say I stayed in Thailand all my life. In fact, I almost took a job with the British Antarctic Survey a couple of years ago but decided against it because I wanted to stay with my young son. . . so, I would have probably pooped you for experience.

Do you want to compared d!ck$ too?

Edited by NilSS

2 minutes ago, NilSS said:

I didn't say I stayed in Thailand all my life. In fact, I almost took a job with the British Antarctic Survey a couple of years ago but decided against it because I wanted to stay with my young son. . . so, I would have probably pooped your for experience.

I've been working on offshore drilling rigs (jackups, semi submersibles and Drill Ships) around the world on a 28/28 rotation.

Whilst living here in Thailand with my wife, we have 2 children, now teenagers. 

Yep, you've definitely pooped me and my experiences. 

Well my daughter is an adult now, but you asked me what my yard stick is and I told you, so please stopped trying to draw me into a silly p!$sing match. . . and really, I think most people here would find the notion that Thailand has always been ''up there with the best'' to be pretty absurd.

Edited by NilSS

3 hours ago, NilSS said:

Let's do the maths. . . Assuming a decent HD feed at 3 Mbps, you'd need around 333 videos running concurrently to fully saturate a 1 Gbps connection. That would make the viewer a hardcore w####r, my hat off to you.

Seriously, what home user needs that {rhet}

I use a fast connection because I can download a series from netflix onto my laptop in minutes rather than hours, especially when they can be in 4K. As we become more reliant on BB and in particular wifi, more devices will be connetced up. When you have a family, it's good to know that you are future-proofing ourselves. Technology moves onwards and upwards.

I actually never tried downloading Netflix stuff to watch offline. I don't think my telly does that and I never watch movies on my phone, my eyes are too bad these days. I do however have a Wikipedia mirror on my local LAN, just in case the world ends, pretty good resource I would miss if the internet vanished. . . but this is off topic.

• Haha 1

Within Thailand speeds are very good  ,latency is  very good , but streaming from overseas latency  falls off  and speeds drop  off to average  ,, watchable most of the time   ....  ,,, as Thailands internaional gateways are limited in Number and bandwidth