Wellingtan VS Wellington ..... windows and doors,

thequietman

Just back from Global and confused as ever.

Putting new windows in the house from the old wooden ones. Options are aluminium and UPVC.

We use UPVC in the UK, but what are your experiences here with them?

Seen a UPVC window at 2,000 baht ( bargain) but plastic locking mechanisms! Also no warranty. To be avoided ??

Aluminium and UPVC at around 2500-3000 baht each, so still cheap. Also seen a back/front door (dark brown wood-look) made from UPVC with what appears to be an aluminium frame, anyone installed one of these. The locking mechanism is impressive.

Any feedback from anyone that has installed such doors and windows is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

I fitted Hoffen UPVC large sliding doors and Hoffen sliding windows in a range of sizes throughout my new build. They have been in for a year with no problems and I am extremely happy with them. Available from both Global and Homepro with some sizes cheaper at one and others at the other. I am just fitting the same in guest accommodation I am building and since I was forced to order online anyway I bought the cheapest in each size from Global and Homepro and had both deliver to me!

The only negative is that you can't buy them with Low-e glass installed - but then this is true of all of the big box store windows. Windsor are also a good option if you want a wider range of sizes (and glass) and I did use them for some high-level light windows. Strangely their light windows are priced comparably to Hoffen, but their sliding windows are twice as expensive...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lynn, Windsor, etc have several different series of UPVC windows. Different specifications for each line. Then Global offers an inexpensive house brand "Wellington or is it marked Wellingtan" on some. Again several different lines. I paid double for a decent double pane Wellington casement and sliding windows at Buriram Global House. The mini blinds in the middle of the doors and windows have proven dependable at my village house. Easy to install in 20cm thick Autoclaved white wall blocks. None of these UPVC windows compare to the build quality of Sun Paradise windows, but there is a huge cost difference. The OP might check the green glass windows made in Thailand by Rakhangthong.  The photos attached are base line Rakhangthong brand. Thai Watsadu has a good selection of Rakhangthong UPVC windows and sliding doors. Rakhangthong has a PC at most Thai Watsadu stores who can show you other lines they sell. Hoffen often has a PC in most HomePro Stores in Thailand. Tostem aluminum windows is a brand that I have been impressed with https://www.tostemthailand.com/products/

Buriram Aluminum Reinforced UPVC Window Profiles.jpg

Buriram Tempered Glass Windows.jpg

• Thanks 1