Lawn Repair

UKJASE

Our lawn has taken a battering over the dry season.  the well dried up, and the lawn didnt get much water.  now the rains have come, but the grass has not reapperared, so i guess it is dead.

Anyone give any advice / tips on repairing the bald areas please?  i looked at grass seeds on lazada, and they go for about 1000 baht a kilo or something, which seems pricey, but i guess that will cover a large area.  Lots of products had good reviews from farangs and thais.

Any advice guys?  i dont really want to buy turf and put that down again, as it was a tough job and will probably need me to put more top soil down first.  Sprinkling a few seeds sounds more like a pleasant and easy task ????

Any one repaired their lawn lately?  how did you get on?

Yeah, seeding is easiest, spike the bald

patches thoroughly, a thin layer of peat

on top, spread a little nitrogen based lawn

food. Then spread plenty of seeds,

Keep the dirt damp all the time, and just

wait.

In future, don't cut yer grass too short mate.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Yeah, seeding is easiest, spike the bald

patches thoroughly, a thin layer of peat

on top, spread a little nitrogen based lawn

food. Then spread plenty of seeds,

Keep the dirt damp all the time, and just

wait.

In future, don't cut yer grass too short mate.

any receommendations where to get good seeds talahtnut?

the front and back garden both need patching up. and are quite big, so i will need quite a lot i guess

Yah.  I have previously looked for grass seed in Thailand and it can't be found.  Don't know what Lazada is selling but it must be from China?  And wonder if that can actually be shipped in? Laying sod is going to be your best choice.  

• Like 2

plenty of grass seed on lazada, and some of it may have 70 odd reviews, with 80% being positive

i guess the sod guys must grow from seed......  so it must be possible if you know what your doing

my sods i laid have let me down now (although they lasted a few years) so i am thinking that maybe seed will take better and be tougher and last longer

has no one had good luck here with seed, and can point me in the direction of a good bag of seeds?

12 hours ago, UKJASE said:

my sods i laid have let me down now (although they lasted a few years) so i am thinking that maybe seed will take better and be tougher and last longer

Whether using sod or seed for your lawn (again, I have NEVER seen grass seed for sale in Thailand), it takes TLC getting it going and keeping it looking good.  If no rain, I do a watering soak every 3rd day.  I fertilize 4 times per year.  I keep it cut to about 3cm.  My wife is a compulsive weeder.  We have a great looking lawn still 10 years after laying sod.  BTW: the worst weeds are the crawling type and will choke out the turf within a season if let to grow.

• Like 2

lots of grass seed on here @bankruatsteve - https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.search.1.62dc7b9dhkqHPx&q=garden grass seed&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--9022649786048329010__abId--154857__pvid--300cf304-c61b-40e3-ba95-a38563569479&from=suggest_normal&sugg=garden grass seed_0_1

3 lawn areas in all - totalling about 400 m2 @baansgr

i know those weeds u mean @bankruatsteve they are killers!  difficult to get out too.  does your mrs pull them out by hand?  no weedkillers or secret thai potions used?

i love a good lawn - just such hard work

13 hours ago, UKJASE said:

i know those weeds u mean @bankruatsteve they are killers!  difficult to get out too.  does your mrs pull them out by hand?  no weedkillers or secret thai potions used?

She pulls by hand.  When she waters her plants and spots a weed, that will become the project for the next hour.  I think its a type of meditation for her.

As for grass types, the Japanese sod is predominant in the north and Malay sod is popular in the south.  If seed is available for those types, I have never seen it.  I am not familiar with the seed sold on Lazada so can't comment.  From past experience in the states, it is much, much easier to start a lawn with sod versus seed.

Cheers

Cant really understand why anyone would prefer seed over sod unless they are cattle farming several acres or something. 

Theres really only 2 kinds of common grass, the leafy Malay grass (my favorite, by far) and the thin/small Japanese grass that looks like golf course grass. Weeds overrun the Jap grass really fast if not constantly maintained. 

You need water for green grass, so if your well has run dry then its pointless to do anything until you have water available. 

Once thats sorted just hire some labor to cut out/dug up the bad spots and replace it with fresh sod. Easy. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 7:19 AM, Mama Noodle said:

Cant really understand why anyone would prefer seed over sod unless they are cattle farming several acres or something. 

Theres really only 2 kinds of common grass, the leafy Malay grass (my favorite, by far) and the thin/small Japanese grass that looks like golf course grass. Weeds overrun the Jap grass really fast if not constantly maintained. 

You need water for green grass, so if your well has run dry then its pointless to do anything until you have water available. 

Once thats sorted just hire some labor to cut out/dug up the bad spots and replace it with fresh sod. Easy. 

Yes, I have tried twice with Japanese grass and been defeated by the onslaught of weeds and fast growing weed grasses (and I did try to hand weed a couple of times a week to prevent this - but still lost!). I even did the whole area with glyphosphate a couple of times ahead of the second sod laying - and I still lost the fight! 

Only Malay for me in the future... or gravel with permeable membrane under! I have done this on my driveway and love it- no weeds at all one year later. The membrane is from Kamtieng market in Chiang Mai B3600 for a 100m roll of 2m wide or B2100 for a 100m roll of 21m wide. You can also buy off the roll, by the metre, but there is a large premium on the price per metre.

My understanding of seed not being available in shops is that this market is all "tied up" and anybody selling it would be potentially putting themselves in harms way. Hence available online only.

• Like 1