Bangkok Bank Atm Scam: Beware.......................

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya Mail: Edition April 20th-April 26th

From letters page:

Editor;

I am a disabled American living in Pattaya and my financial resources are limited.

On March 7, 2007 I used my Bangkok Bank ATM card to withdraw money from an ATM at Krung Thai Bank. The remaining balance was 51,339 baht. The next day on March 8 over 50,000 baht was stolen from my account in numerous transactions and I was left with 760 baht in my account.

I reported the theft to Bangkok Bank and I made a report to the Pattaya Police. Bangkok Bank told me that the ATM transactions were made in a foreign country but I never gave or loaned my ATM card to another person.

This appears to be the work of a well organized criminal group. There are probably many other victims of this type of theft in Thailand. People need to be especially careful when making ATM withdrawals and if they notice improper activity in their account, they need to report it to their bank immediately.

The banks need to upgrade their security at their ATM to protect themselves and to protect the people who use their machines.

These stories always make me wonder.

For example, how would they have copied his card number (from a Bank ATM), and acquired his PIN number, then have a card cloned (presumably in another country) and use it to withdraw all his funds, in LESS than 24 hours ? :o

That would require a highly organized, multi-national gang, with connections inside the bank (how else would they acquire his ATM card number, as only the last 4 digits usually appear on the receipt ?). Assuming that the ATM was located at a bank branch, "they" would also most likely have to have access to the security camera in order to acquire the PIN number.

And, if there was such a gang with those kind of connections operating in Pattaya, you'd think they would have the knowledge to target victims with larger bank accounts, and we would most likely have heard of more such scams having happened within a short period of time.

For example, how would they have copied his card number (from a Bank ATM), and acquired his PIN number, then have a card cloned (presumably in another country) and use it to withdraw all his funds, in LESS than 24 hours ? :o

That would require a highly organized, multi-national gang, with connections inside the bank (how else would they acquire his ATM card number, as only the last 4 digits usually appear on the receipt ?). Assuming that the ATM was located at a bank branch, "they" would also most likely have to have access to the security camera in order to acquire the PIN number.

And, if there was such a gang with those kind of connections operating in Pattaya, you'd think they would have the knowledge to target victims with larger bank accounts, and we would most likely have heard of more such scams having happened within a short period of time.

In this case I suspect that it was an 'inside job'. This is not the first time the Bangkok Bank has been guilty of emptying farangs bank accounts. A story in the Pattaya forum last year told of a female farang victim of financial loss. The Bangkok Bank, after negative publicity, investigated and kicked out the 'bent' employees.

In these cases, it is best to keep ones head and seek professional help and insist that the Thai bank investigates the incident.

I now keep the vast majority of my money in Thailand in an account where no ATM card has ever been issued to me.

Plus: On the cover of my bank passbook I have attached a label saying:

'Passport must be shown and signature in passport must be scrutinised before any withdrawal'

As I have stated before, I think these are inside jobs or the security in Thai banks is weak and their systems are being hacked, its about time one of these cases was fully investigated, it always seems to be Thai bank accounts with ATM cards,

I will never have a Thai bank accout with an ATM facility.....never

In this case I suspect that it was an 'inside job'. This is not the first time the Bangkok Bank has been guilty of emptying farangs bank accounts. A story in the Pattaya forum last year told of a female farang victim of financial loss. The Bangkok Bank, after negative publicity, investigated and kicked out the 'bent' employees.

In these cases, it is best to keep ones head and seek professional help and insist that the Thai bank investigates the incident.

I now keep the vast majority of my money in Thailand in an account where no ATM card has ever been issued to me.

Plus: On the cover of my bank passbook I have attached a label saying:

'Passport must be shown and signature in passport must be scrutinised before any withdrawal'

very very good advise, I stated similar weeks ago

50,000baht in 24hrs...? wats the max withdrawl amount per day?

How long does the owner have to wait to take back his money as the money was withdrawn from overseas and the owner has proof tat he is in thailand

The normal withdrawal rate is 20,000 baht per day, but one can request the (Thai) bank for a higher limit.

However since I suspect that this was an 'inside job' then the dishonest bankers will have set the withdrawal rate prior to the scam.

The fact that the victim was in Thailand matters not one jot. Anyone could entrust an ATM card and a PIN number to a third party.

What must be investigated here, is the banking computer records which log PIN requests, card issue, unauthorised access to account holders records etc.

A good 'western' bank could make rapid progress, when sniffing out 'inside fraud'; however in Thailand, 'farang banking fraud victims' have an uphill climb to achieve justice.

Was thinking of applying for a local bank acc so i can transfer my funds from SG to thailand but now i think tat will wait.Btw is it difficult to apply for a thai bank acc? And wat are the usual requirements? Im currently working in SG , legally married to a thai and comes back often for short holidays with a 30 day tourist visa. Shd i change it to non-imm O or leave it as it is.Many tks in advance... cheers

Was thinking of applying for a local bank acc so i can transfer my funds from SG to thailand but now i think tat will wait.Btw is it difficult to apply for a thai bank acc? And wat are the usual requirements? Im currently working in SG , legally married to a thai and comes back often for short holidays with a 30 day tourist visa. Shd i change it to non-imm O or leave it as it is.Many tks in advance... cheers

It is easy to open a bank account. Try Siam Commercial Bank or Kasikorn Bank. If you get knocked back just try another branch. Go early in the morning, all you need is your passport.

Avoid Krung Thai Bank: No interest for foreign folk.

See Banking & Business forum for more information, and do a search.

My money would be on another inside job too. Bangkok bank and Krung Thai seem to be the worst.

pretty sad when you can't even trust the bank anymore. there have been so many similar reports, at least some of it must have a basis in truth. foreigners are vulnerable targets because resolving the issue is always going to be an uphill battle for them. i suppose libya's solution is about the best one. :o

I've been using Bangkok Bank for a couple of years now with no problems (and a blance considerably more than 50,000 baht).

Easy enough to open an account, for the most part. I went with my landlady, and had a Residency Certificate from Immigration (confirming my address in Thailand) to the branch on #2 Road by soi Marine Plaza. Filled out some paperwork, showed them my passport and walked out about 20 minutes later with an ATM card and account book. Used the ATM card at ATMs in various countries with no problems.

I found that there is a 20,000 baht withdrawal limit, per withdrawal (some ATMs limit you to 10,000), but no daily limit.

At one point, I stood at an ATM at the airport, and withdrew 120,000 baht in 6 transactions, then stepped to the left and had it converted into US $.

They wouldn't let me have a savings account or internet access unless I had a work permit and 1 year visa. Those rules apparently change from branch to branch and bank to bank.