Immigration Raids On Samui & Phangan

Just today I visited Samui Immigration for a re entry permit and posted on the wall of the office were the results of their raids on Samui over the beginning half of April. Many Burmese were rounded up but also a Canadian, an Israeli, 2 French, and some British (sorry can't remember how many).

Also on the poster (in Thai) was a notice that these raids will continue regularly because of an order from the top to crackdown on illegal workers and illegal immigrants in Thailand.

Over the past few days there have been reports of Immigration raids here on Koh Phangan as well, with employers of illegal workers getting fined as well the fining and arrest of the illegal immigrants. People working without a work permit have been given hefty fines.

The Immigration officers are, from what I have been told, filming people working illegally in order to enforce the fines.

Just a heads up to everyone.

Just today I visited Samui Immigration for a re entry permit and posted on the wall of the office were the results of their raids on Samui over the beginning half of April. Many Burmese were rounded up but also a Canadian, an Israeli, 2 French, and some British (sorry can't remember how many).

Also on the poster (in Thai) was a notice that these raids will continue regularly because of an order from the top to crackdown on illegal workers and illegal immigrants in Thailand.

Over the past few days there have been reports of Immigration raids here on Koh Phangan as well, with employers of illegal workers getting fined as well the fining and arrest of the illegal immigrants. People working without a work permit have been given hefty fines.

The Immigration officers are, from what I have been told, filming people working illegally in order to enforce the fines.

GREAT :o

If anyone is headed into Immigration soon, George would like a photo of the notice. It is an inkjet printed piece of paper, with photos of what appear to be mainly Burmese in front of the Immigration office as well as in the back of the pick up. And writing in Thai on the lower part of it.

PM george for instructions on how to send him the photo if any of you manage to get a photo.

(I had to stop myself from typing in "Your mission today, should any feel able, is to..." :o )

This is an information only advice & admin would like a picture of the notice if someone can get one.

The post doesn't tell anyone how to get away with working illegally does it? Jesus some of you people just can't be pleased, just because sbk is a mod she can't post a topic of general interest to this region? Get a life.

This is an information only advice & admin would like a picture of the notice if someone can get one.

The post doesn't tell anyone how to get away with working illegally does it? Jesus some of you people just can't be pleased, just because sbk is a mod she can't post a topic of general interest to this region? Get a life.

What does this imply to you?

Get a life, indeed!

whatever your issue with sbk is get over it & keep it off this forum. Thats a public warning. Admin gave the ok for this topic to be posted so unless you want to start on them too I suggest you drop it.

Putting, "just a heads up to everyone" is not in anyway shape or form an encouragement to work illegally or how to work illegally. Unless of course you are grasping at straws & are trying to make something out of nothing or read imaginary comments that aren't there. I don't recall seeing her write, "rush out & sack all your illegal staff" or "get a wp asap all you teachers & dive masters without wp's"

Clear enough for you?

Seems some are reading way too much into sbk's post. The idea of the information is to be sure you have your paperwork in order and your work permits at your place of work where they are legally required to be. Also, if you have employees working for you that their documentation is valid. It would be ill advised to continue attempts to disrupt this topic.

Seamiew (not Seaview) is the name of a local restaurant that rents out jeeps. Sounds like they have rented their jeep, is all.

Mosquitoman is correct, as far as I know, one man was fined for not having yet changed the address on his work permit after his original place of business was torn down and he moved.

The "just a heads up" was a warning for people to be aware and get themselves legal. Too bad some people can't figure that out.

Mayne someone can answer a question. Immigration are normally concerned with the type of Visa you have in your passport and Ministry of Labor are in charge of work permits. Are they connected that immigration can enforce fines for Labor Department issues? I can understand it if the visa you have in your passport is wrong. The normal fine printed in the permit book for your work permit being out of order is 2000 baht, how do the manage to impose on the spot fines of 10,000 baht.

Seamiew (not Seaview) is the name of a local restaurant that rents out jeeps. Sounds like they have rented their jeep, is all.

Mosquitoman is correct, as far as I know, one man was fined for not having yet changed the address on his work permit after his original place of business was torn down and he moved.

The "just a heads up" was a warning for people to be aware and get themselves legal. Too bad some people can't figure that out.

The location of Seamiew is at the first T junction

just 20 meters further from the bridge on the corner left.

if jou come from Thongsala

[the road where Asia hotel on the left is located]

Good spot for those guys. :o

because they can see everything passing by {behind some coffee}

specific the coastel road too Woktum

Maybe they also rent some rooms from

Seamiew

When I was reading this story

I saw this kind of Cartoon infront of me

So don't pin me down on this

apparently they are driving around in a pickup with "seamiew" (seaview spelt wrong) on the side.
yeah i think you are right- i went to rent a jeep at sea mew the other day and it was filled with official types going over paperwork.
The location of Seamiew is at the first T junction

just 20 meters further from the bridge on the corner left.

if jou come from Thongsala

[the road where Asia hotel on the left is located]

um, no it's not! it is on the road across from the lomprayah pier!

Edited by girlx

just got the word from friends on koh tao that the immigration is doing raids over there as well.

there getting tiped of before it happens and all the burmese works just go hide in the hills till its over. :o

its nothing new and has been going on for years and they would have big problems without the bumese workers as the thais dont want to be doing the hard labour.

its more inconvienience than anything as there trying to get there new bar, restaurant finished.

Reminds me of immigration raids in New Zealand. Every time immigration came to town there was nobody at work for them to find, but lots of Koreans, Thais, and Samoans taking up all the good fishing spots. :o

I wonder if it's a region wide thing. Malaysian immigration raided Beach Club Friday night and yesterday they had a forty foot container sized wire mesh cage lorry down in KL Chinatown. The cage was ###### near full to crush level with mainly Flips, other nationalities would certainly be in there but no caucasians. Didn't matter whether passport was carried or not they were just rounded up and carted off.

So if any of you guys are coming on a visa run and staying for a couple of days with your Thai partner stick together and make sure she/he carries the pp. A colleague was down there with his Flip gf and they walked through the melee unhindered.

Probably just one of the periodic crackdowns, give it a week and it will be back to normal.

Reminds me of immigration raids in New Zealand. Every time immigration came to town there was nobody at work for them to find, but lots of Koreans, Thais, and Samoans taking up all the good fishing spots. :D

If all the illegals left Noo Zuland it would be empty, cause all the kiwis are over here :o

The point is they are going in to businesses of even people who have legitimate work permits. However, if any of your paperwork is even the slightest bit off (ie you moved and didn't change the address) you will be fined. I don't see a problem in telling people to check that every i is dotted. if you have a problem with a bit of news such as this then bring it up with admin but cease to do so in this thread.

Forums like this are nice because it brings into greater clarity those who can only abide and "discuss" on the internet due to their lack of social grace. Clearly people who have time to read and write posts and cannot amicably posit a contrary position given that generous amount of time available on a forum couldn't possibly do any better in real time. Rant on you dashing "men about town".

I have removed some posts that were posted only to serve as a pointless rant on an issue that had already been discussed & explained. Should anyone wish to continue then suspensions will be handed out.

I really hope this is clear enough for even the simplest of people to understand? :o

I hear yesterday that there was an article in Thai in a Samui paper that in addition to any legitimate pick-up of illegals, there is a scam happening in KP that involves bogus Immigration. Does anyone have any information on that?