Wife's New Visa

terrymor66

Well we went down to the Chiang Mai office for our scheduled 10 AM appointment ( arrived at 9:30 as per instructions ) and aside from taking 5 hours.......It went pretty smooth. I was worried about a few things, namely, she doesn't work, I don't work (and am not retired-only 40 ) and she did not have her property papers with her. We took a ton of things with us...pictures, truck and motorcycle registrations, lease and so on. The guy didn't really want to see any of those things. He wanted her passport, my passport, our bank account and then my bank account in the US. At 12:30 he went to lunch and we had to come back at 1:30..At that time I went to an internet place and picked up a internet bank statement. And the whole time I had to wait outside the embassy as ONLY the interviewee is allowed in.

This was on Wed. the 18th.....today, the 20th we got her Visa back in the mail. A ten year multiple entry visa..sweet :o

Now she can go any time over the next 10 years with me and can stay 6 months out of a calendar year. Not that I will be going back that often, but I suppose it is "nifty" to have.

Just thought I would share

Good job!

Yeah, I know what you mean about not wanting to go back that often.

I have a return ticket to LAX that I'm about to cash in....

I assume you are US resident, your wife is Thai, and you were at the US consulate to get her a US entry visa.

Regards,

McG

Edited by mcgriffith

I assume you are US resident, your wife is Thai, and you were at the US consulate to get her a US entry visa.

Regards,

McG

My bad, Yes I am a US citizen and my wife is Thai, and I have a non - immigrant O visa, and yes we went to the Chiang Mai Consulate.

~

Same experience here but way less time. After an interview lasting less than two minutes, my wife was also issued a 10-year visa. Just did my 1-yr retirement visa here and was in-and-out in thirty minutes.

Sometimes it works, eh?

Did either of you have to get a police clearance for your visa? If so, from where?

Assuming you are US citizens.

thanks

Zippy

~

Same experience here but way less time. After an interview lasting less than two minutes, my wife was also issued a 10-year visa. Just did my 1-yr retirement visa here and was in-and-out in thirty minutes.

Sometimes it works, eh?

Oh man, terrrymor and dustoff, I'm gonna be buggin' ya a bit down the line for tips when I finally start the visa process for my wife!

If you want to pm me, there are a couple of things you can do early to grease the wheels.

Zippydedodah - No police check was required for our's.

My experience was very easy, 10 min and a 10 year visa for my wife. They were more interested in my status it seemed. I have lived here for over 5 years. We just got back and to my surprise she said I should go alone next year. She now knows why I choose to live here and I won't have to hear the "when are we going to america" questions......things work out somtimes for the best...I couldn't be happier....

My experience was very easy, 10 min and a 10 year visa for my wife. They were more interested in my status it seemed. I have lived here for over 5 years. We just got back and to my surprise she said I should go alone next year. She now knows why I choose to live here and I won't have to hear the "when are we going to america" questions......things work out somtimes for the best...I couldn't be happier....

Whadja do, take her to S. Fla? I have been here/married for six years now and this upcoming trip will be our second together. She also loves Thailand and has no desire to live in any other country but she really does like the Rockies and would live with me in Moab, Utah if we did want to spend part of the years in the US. Great river rafting, motorcycling, ultralight flying, kicked back lifestyle like here in Thailand.

I seem to be hearing less and less Thai ladies hoping to move to the US; is it just my ears noticing that? I asked my wife before our last trip why she was reluctant to go and she replied that America is in the middle of a war. Too funny. I had to explain that America is destroying someone else's country, not it's own... :o

Ain't life a treat in Thailand?

Do you mind if I ask, in what way are you married in Thailand?

I was suprised recently when I went to the consulate and picked up all of the "handout" papers they have prepared that sit on shelves against the wall. One was about marriage in Thailand and it says that the normal marriage, registering with the government or whatever it is called, is NOT recognized by the US. I have been thinking about getting married to solve my visa problems but am worried as I have a lot to lose and Thai law doesn't seem to protect me in any reasonable way.

So, I am wondering, if based on this same type of marriage(not recognized by the US), you could get a visa for your spouse? The paper did not say what way you need to be married although. Maybe it is just that you need to have a religious ceremony on top of registering?

I would not want to go live with my potential spouse in the US, only wonder about a visa to visit. Thanks.

I was suprised recently when I went to the consulate and picked up all of the "handout" papers they have prepared that sit on shelves against the wall. One was about marriage in Thailand and it says that the normal marriage, registering with the government or whatever it is called, is NOT recognized by the US. I have been thinking about getting married to solve my visa problems but am worried as I have a lot to lose and Thai law doesn't seem to protect me in any reasonable way.

So, I am wondering, if based on this same type of marriage(not recognized by the US), you could get a visa for your spouse? The paper did not say what way you need to be married although. Maybe it is just that you need to have a religious ceremony on top of registering?

I would not want to go live with my potential spouse in the US, only wonder about a visa to visit. Thanks.

The typical Buddist wedding ceremony is not recognized as a legal marriage by the US and it will not get you the visa as such. For the legal marriage you need to follow that paper you were reading, which involves a few relatively simple things. We took care of those things, then we went to the Amphur.....a lady went thru the papers, took them to another lady, she called us back, asked my wife a few things in Thai, gave the papers back to us, we went back to the first lady paid her some money and my wife said " ok we're finished, let's go home" No I do's, nothing, I didn't even say one word, we were just married LOL. That paper though is your legal marriage certificate and recognized by the US as such.

As for having a lot to lose.....Just make sure she is the right one.....I know that's 64,000 baht question.... But if you have alot you could lose, have a pre-nup written up here by a Thai lawyer........and not one that the future wife recommends :o

One other thing as a possibility to consider is the fiance visa. She can get at least one trip over there ( for 90 days I believe ) and you aren't obligated to marry her either.

The typical Buddist wedding ceremony is not recognized as a legal marriage by the US and it will not get you the visa as such. For the legal marriage you need to follow that paper you were reading, which involves a few relatively simple things. We took care of those things, then we went to the Amphur.....a lady went thru the papers, took them to another lady, she called us back, asked my wife a few things in Thai, gave the papers back to us, we went back to the first lady paid her some money and my wife said " ok we're finished, let's go home" No I do's, nothing, I didn't even say one word, we were just married LOL. That paper though is your legal marriage certificate and recognized by the US as such.

As for having a lot to lose.....Just make sure she is the right one.....I know that's 64,000 baht question.... But if you have alot you could lose, have a pre-nup written up here by a Thai lawyer........and not one that the future wife recommends :o

One other thing as a possibility to consider is the fiance visa. She can get at least one trip over there ( for 90 days I believe ) and you aren't obligated to marry her either.

oh yeah...the original question...I am married both ways here, the buddist ceremony and the legal Thai way

Unless I misunderstood your meaning here, I don't think it is a good idea to use the fiance visa for anything other than its intended purpose. While supposedly easier to have approved, if you use it just to get to the US then later want to do immigration or a finace visa for real, it could be a real hassle. Embassies don't like being used and with good reason.

I don't think getting a visitor visa helps with getting approval for an immigrant or fiance visa but it certainly helps with future visitor visas if only because it shows that the visitor returns to Thailand within the alloted time. Visitor and immigration visas are completely different animals.

Marrying by registering thru the Amphur is a legal marriage but it is not required for your lady to get a visitor visa. My wife and I were not married when we went together the first time and actually married on a beach on Maui. I also know a couple of other guys here who have taken their girlfriends to the US and they are still not married.

I am registered with the Consulate (Dept of State) and have been for a long time. I think it helps to register and list your lady as well - if not officially married, put her down as your fiance or something truthful. If her name comes up on their system and you both seem to have your ducks in a row, a visitor visa for her should be no problem. If it seems obvious that you have just met this cute young thing a couple of months ago and she does not have MAJOR ties to Thailand, you are likely in for disappointment when she applies.

Good luck!