Thai Charities. Do You Give? What Is Your Favorite Thai Charity

cm-happy

Just read a thread from a gent about purchasing fans for elderly folks during the hot season. First mention that I know of, that reference any charitable giving by members, and thought that might be an interesting thread.

As for myself, I give regularly, (50 K to 100K baht) annully to a charity in Nakhon Sawan, dedicated to assisting impoverished students with their educational expenses. Its called SET (Student Educational Trust) which currently supports 700 to 1000 students with financial asistance to complete their High school or university courses and is 100% above board. Also sometimes give one-off donations to worthy, in my opinion, causes.

Any one else care to participate and share their philanthropy with us.

When i give money it is only people i know, who need help.

Here it is not that hard to find someone right in your neighborhood who could use a helping hand.

I never liked the idea of just giving to some charity where the money goes to some person you've never met.

When i give money it is only people i know, who need help.

Here it is not that hard to find someone right in your neighborhood who could use a helping hand.

I never liked the idea of just giving to some charity where the money goes to some person you've never met.

Agreed. Given the scams involved with a lot of supposed organized charities recently, I prefer to to give to more local, and tangible causes. The local orphanage and Camillian Centre fit the bill.

cm-happy, you must be psychic, as I was thinking about this very subject this morning. I run a non-profit org for dogs & find many of the local expat community very reluctant to put their hands in their pockets to help, even when I have taken a dog off their hands. I also find it very hard to get anyone to help out. I reasoned that this was because it was a dog charity & people preferred to give to humans. Fair enough, I researched a couple of Thai run local charities (one for orphans, one for physically & mentally disadvantaged adults) and put a thread up on another forum (local) detailing these charities and asking people to consider giving to them last Christmas. I don't know if anyone ever gave anything to them, but there wasn't one single post added to that thread. I wonder how many will answer this one?

Edit - typo

Edited by November Rain

I would never trust the Thai charities to distribute funds without corruption

Why don't you

1 ask to see their accounts

2 visit & see whether you feel what is being done gels with their expenditure?

Alternatively, as BKK Madness suggests, don't give cash. Give clothes/toys/food/whatever, depending on the charity. Or volunteer some time. Then you know your contribution is going where you want it.

I too give too the Students Educational Trust. operated by the former Phra Peter Pannapadipo (Phra Farang). It's squeaky clean, uses funds entirely appropriately and is a very worthy cause. I additionally help 2 wats regularly and just this year stated giving money randomly to people I would see that looked like they could use a bite to eat. this drives my girlfriend mad but I enjoy it.

My wife and I directly sponsor two children in Thai schools. I also volunteer with "The Community of Sant'Egidio" - as has been said above, we need not simply hand over cash.

The reason we often hear for not donating to charity is that 'funds are not used for the stated purpose'. I wonder though, how many who give this reason also refuse to give to a beggar?

Charity is encouraged by all the world's religions (very much so by the three most prominant religions in Thailand Buddhism/Islam and Christianity), it is wisely recognized and supported by many governments.

Of course wherever money is available there are those who will thieve it, but their failings are not an excuse for not joining in sharing a bit of humanity.

The reason we often hear for not donating to charity is that 'funds are not used for the stated purpose'. I wonder though, how many who give this reason also refuse to give to a beggar?

Charity is encouraged by all the world's religions (very much so by the three most prominant religions in Thailand Buddhism/Islam and Christianity), it is wisely recognized and supported by many governments.

Of course wherever money is available there are those who will thieve it, but their failings are not an excuse for not joining in sharing a bit of humanity.

You might open a whole new can of worms with the highlighted question, Guesthouse. I personally never give [money] to the beggars on Thai street corners, as they are part of a group of usually illegals put there by local mafiosi. I usually offer a cool can of orange or a yoghurt that might benefit the poor soul, however.

You might open a whole new can of worms with the highlighted question, Guesthouse. I personally never give [money]to the beggars on Thai street corners, as they are part of a group of usually illegals put there by local mafiosi. I usually offer a cool can of orange or a yoghurt that might benefit the poor soul, however.

So when I when I gave money to a little old lady begging in a market up in a village near Surin, she was working for the local Maffia?

Or is the accusation that the local Maffia running beggers a simply a reason of convenience?

And is the legal status of an beggar reason not to help them out with a few coppers? Should we be asking to see their visas before we slip them enough Baht to buy a bowl of noodles?

i think even homeless organisations say you shouldn't give cash to beggars as it encourages them to do it more.i definitely dont give to kids as i feel its training them up,& conditioning them for it.

You might open a whole new can of worms with the highlighted question, Guesthouse. I personally never give [money]to the beggars on Thai street corners, as they are part of a group of usually illegals put there by local mafiosi. I usually offer a cool can of orange or a yoghurt that might benefit the poor soul, however.

So when I when I gave money to a little old lady begging in a market up in a village near Surin, she was working for the local Maffia?

Or is the accusation that the local Maffia running beggers a simply a reason of convenience?

And is the legal status of an beggar reason not to help them out with a few coppers? Should we be asking to see their visas before we slip them enough Baht to buy a bowl of noodles?

Not really, but I think there has been a bit of info regarding beggars and the people who operate them (as a business) given out in the local media in the last few years. Charity and alms is entirely up to the individual also.

http://www.lifehomeproject.org/

http://www.soidog.org/

PAWS - Phuket

http://www.cocodemertsunamiappeal.com/

This has now evolved to take on the role as more of a student sponsorship foundation.

And some of my own going out and providing things to people who lost everything in the Tsunami and also working with the Bang Tao Tsunami relief project.

Now complete and housing some 40 odd families.

http://avcphuket.com/tsunami/

http://www.lagunaphuket.com/tsunamifund/bt-housing.htm

Didn't Thailand get rich off the Tsunami. They have billions of foreign currency reserves let them use it.

Do not give to any organization in countries that have corrupt officials. Thia Rak Thai attitude does

deserve the effort of foreigners. LOS lots of shisters

Thia Rak Thai attitude does

I beg to differ.

The fantastic charity work done by many expats and foreign organizations is exactly the kind of interaction between Thais and foreigners that undermines the efforts of xenophobes and petty nationalists.

I like to give to Baan Kru Noi

http://www.moobankru.com/bankrunoi_Eng/e_menu1.html

Lovely old woman who has helped out over 800 underprivledged kids over the last 27 or so years.

I make a donation around every Christmas and get to share a lunch with all the kids currently there

Take a look at the link

It is near my home and a good and real thing

Edited by jEFFREYk44

Didn't Thailand get rich off the Tsunami. They have billions of foreign currency reserves let them use it.

Do not give to any organization in countries that have corrupt officials. Thia Rak Thai attitude does

Short memory or misinformed?? Thaksin urged Western nations to donate to areas that were far worse affected AND more in need of foreign funding such as Sri Lanka and Indonesia.

So to answer that: "No, Thailand did not get rich of the Tsunami". However many (mostly Asian) tourists avoided Thailand for a while for pretty dubious reasons.

Why do so many foreigners choose to stay so misinformed about Thaksin and the Thai Rak Thai movement?

Short memory or misinformed?? Thaksin urged Western nations to donate to areas that were far worse affected AND more in need of foreign funding such as Sri Lanka and Indonesia.

So to answer that: "No, Thailand did not get rich of the Tsunami". However many (mostly Asian) tourists avoided Thailand for a while for pretty dubious reasons.

Why do so many foreigners choose to stay so misinformed about Thaksin and the Thai Rak Thai movement?

perhaps you are in a perfect position to answer that

i can only disagree with the comment that thailand made money off the tsunami. i live in a 200 unit condo bldg in bkk and the day after it happened the owner pleaded with everyone to donate what ever they could which resulted in a pile-up of several thousand items in the lobby including 50kg rice sacks, used clothes, shoes, toiletry kits and so forth and so on. the lot was sent down south using 3 ten-wheelers and as far as i know it was given out too the neediest.

it was a collaborative effort organized by an entrepreneur and i am proud to have helped those poor souls in need. there's only two foreign residents here so do the math and tell me who made the bulk of donations.

Edited by oooooo

The point about how much of your donation actually goes to 'the cause' or whatever is a valid one, HOWEVER, many charities, non-profits and foundations struggle hard and go under because they cant get donations to cover their overheads (unrestricted funds).

In the end, for well trained and qualified people to put the right project together and deliver the best results, any organisation must incur significant costs for offices, salaris, transport, equipment etc. This enables them continue becming more efficient and delivering great projects which benefit the needy.

So don't be too adverse to making a donation for the charity simply so it can survive and continue operating and fundraising for 'specific purposes' (restricted funds).