Don't expect first COVID-19 vaccinations until early 2021 - WHO's Ryan

webfact

I don't think WHO speak on behalf of countries, research labs, pharmaceuticals companies or industry.

Just edge their bets with vague comments or stating the obvious.

Proving to be about as useful as the rest of the UN and it's offshoots.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

So what, that's just a few months away.

The ongoing phase 3 tests can include many many people. The vaccine will be widely available as soon as it's made but it will continue to be part of the phase 3 trial for a while.

They're attempting to test it on as many people as possible while COVID is still here because there's a very serious risk that it could disappear.

This is a big leap in terms of technology and it needs to be proven while the threat is still present.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They're attempting to test it on as many people as possible while COVID is still here because there's a very serious risk that it could disappear.

I hope they also find a vaccine for HIV once it’s still here. After all, it could just magically disappear. Maybe if we stopped testing for it that would solve it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably they come up with a tiger balm tablet and then they find out it doesn't work.

Wouldn't it be much wiser to actually work on it together as one?

Now you got a about 25 pharmaceutical companies competing and NOT sharing what works or doesn't work, all for that bloody money.

No wonder it takes so long.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Thailand will make one soon before everyone. It will be a mixture of Som Tam and Thai herbs. Honest.

Yes those backward Thais somehow managed to suppress the spread of Covid whilst the British failed miserably at it. If every nation was performing as well as Thailand the need for the vaccine would be a lot less urgent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, galenflagler said:

Yes those backward Thais somehow managed to suppress the spread of Covid whilst the British failed miserably at it

That is the funniest thing I have heard this month. You need to test people before you get the stats right. Yes the Brits didn't do a great job. But Thailand allowed all the Chinese in knowing that the virus was a pandemic and turned a blind eye. I know.

I guess you are Thai.

BTW you called Thais backward not me.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

10 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That is the funniest thing I have heard this month. You need to test people before you get the stats right. Yes the Brits didn't do a great job. But Thailand allowed all the Chinese in knowing that the virus was a pandemic and turned a blind eye. I know.

I guess you are Thai.

BTW you called Thais backward not me.

Please. If Thailand were experiencing the consequences of an uncontrolled pandemic it's hospitals would be full to overflowing. Not happening.

Just because you didn't use the word "backward" you're claiming that you didn't portray Thais as such??. You claimed that their vaccine efforts amounted to a concoction of Som Tam and Thaiherbs. Would such an attempt be characterized as forward thinking scientific approach? Or even a current scientific approach. Please. Your characterization reeked of condescension. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, galenflagler said:

Please. If Thailand were experiencing the consequences of an uncontrolled pandemic it's hospitals would be full to overflowing. Not happening.

Just because you didn't use the word "backward" you're claiming that you didn't portray Thais as such??. You claimed that their vaccine efforts amounted to a concoction of Som Tam and Thaiherbs. Would such an attempt be characterized as forward thinking scientific approach? Or even a current scientific approach. Please. Your characterization reeked of condescension. 

Once again you are putting words down that I did not say and making your own assumptions. I actually don't live in Thailand at the moment but did for 17 years and I still call it home. I was there at Christmas from China where I work.I was sick as a dog and went the hospital. you have flu.

Actually it turned out I had Covid19. Thailand did not test and when the world was opening up to the pandemic, what did the Thai government do. They actually welcomed more Chinese tourists in. 

So save your pleases and your pitiful justification. I am claiming that the Thai authorities are complacent, falsify the truth and often come up with weird treatments for all sorts of things. I am still hurting from the doctors claims of skipping 1000 times a day makes you taller and slapping the breasts consistently makes them bigger. I could go on and Som tam has been mentioned as a cure many times. Do your research or are you going to try and defend the indefendable.

So are you Thai? You didn't reply

1 hour ago, galenflagler said:

Correction: his characterisation didn't reek of condescension, it was condescending.