ASEAN NOW in charity partnership with the Samaritans of Thailand

I knew the Samaritans operated associated groups operated in many countries although often not using the Samaritans manner but I'd never heard of them in Thailand. I was a volunteer for the Sams in the UK many years ago and I think it's a great idea.

My only confusion is the fact that English language calls are made by Thais who are fluent in English. Whilst there's nothing wrong with that it seems to suggest that anyone who isn't Thai isn't welcome as a volunteer. If that's the case then that's totally at odds with the concept that I knew. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Redoubt said:

Friends, I am so pleased to see an article like this during this world wide crisis.  As an Expat residing in a rural village in the Isaan Region, Sakon Nakhon Province, I did something a few days ago which certainly is an option all of us in like locations can consider.  I purchased 15 bags of rice at a Tesco Lotus store in Sawang Daen Din, and then I ascertained the single most destitute family in my village; which happened to also have several little children.  We arranged to give the father 5 bags; which overwhelmed him apparently.  Next we gave the village Head Man 5 bags requesting that the rice be distributed evenly to the most needy families he is aware of.  And, finally we delivered 5 bags to our local Wat for the Monks to discharge as they deemed necessary.  Doing this type of action is so important in times like this.

Yes that's a great idea.  Thanks for sharing that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Samaritans Thailand haven't got any foreign volunteers at the moment simply because there has been a shortage of foreign volunteers. But anyone is welcome to put themselves forward. I understand all volunteers go through training and assessment of about 6 months before they can take calls. 

I understand in the past there have been several foreign volunteers but they have since left Thailand.

For anyone who wishes to put them themselves forward as a volunteer, please PM your contact details and I will pass them on. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I could do it now unfortunately not least because I trend top be here slightly less than 6 months and even then it's often split so the training would be a problem to start with. I can't remember how long my training in the UK was but I'm sure it wasn't 6 months but then that was 20 years ago so maybe things have changed since then. Actually one of the things that sticks in my memory was the amazing training. 

• Like 2

So, Samaritans Thailand does'nt have any foriegn volunteers at the monent. Well why have'nt they asked for some? Are they content to leave it that way? Is this a Thai only service?  This has to be the only mental health hotline with a call back service that does'nt call back.

Thaivisa happy with this?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

So would you not require a visa for that. Unsure what type, and how many trees you would have to chop down to get it. Also how many days at the io to have it processed. And then what impact would it have on your current visa? ... Just a few thoughts to ponder. 

A good point and one that unusually for me I hadn't thought about. I think you can get permission to do voluntary work although I've no idea how.

On 4/15/2020 at 8:58 AM, deadbeat said:

I called the english language number last year as I wanted to volunteer and help them out. I dont speak Thai but I thought there must be falangs who need this service. Recorded message saying they would get back to me. No reply, nothing, ??? 

Good job you wasn't feeling suicidal, I also tried that number for a friend and never got an answer

• Sad 1

So it would seem that the announcement put up by Thaivisa maybe incorrect regarding the English call back option. 

Never hurts to fully check out pre-prepared news releases supplied by others. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You might need a work permit for volunteer assistance like that.
It might be better to let them know you were available, and have an English-speaking Thai refer callers to you, than allowing your own number to be made widely available - maybe troublesome at the time of a Samaritans call!

Well done for volunteering!

SC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 2:03 PM, kimamey said:

I knew the Samaritans operated associated groups operated in many countries although often not using the Samaritans manner but I'd never heard of them in Thailand. I was a volunteer for the Sams in the UK many years ago and I think it's a great idea.

My only confusion is the fact that English language calls are made by Thais who are fluent in English. Whilst there's nothing wrong with that it seems to suggest that anyone who isn't Thai isn't welcome as a volunteer. If that's the case then that's totally at odds with the concept that I knew. 

Yes it’s a great idea especially in Thailand as suicide up and up Virus none apparently but death will keep going up but not from corvid , starvation depression, desperation, all factors designed to take out the population as a bi product of virus fear 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would have thought that if someone gets the courage to reach out and make that call in their moment of need of some kind of help the very last thing they want is to be put on hold or told of a "call back"

That type of call is deeply personal and probably very difficult to make and they may not want a " call back" and potentially have to explain to a spouse who is calling them and why ! 

Really sorry to read of the non return calls listed here.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, blonko said:

Samaritans Thailand haven't got any unfamiliar volunteers right now essentially in light of the fact that there has been a deficiency of unfamiliar volunteers. Be that as it may, anybody is free to put themselves forward. I see all volunteers experience preparing and appraisal of around a half year before they can accept calls. 

I comprehend in the past there have been a few unfamiliar volunteers yet they have since left Thailand.

Pray tell me what are 'unfamiliar volunteers'.......

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Joop Wagoneer said:

Having worked with the Samaritans before and still am friends with many members, this is a good move.

I am on another Thailand page and a member posted on Xmas day he needed help. I gave him the number and chatted for a while. He sent me the next day to say they had not even called him back 24 hours later. I didn't want to tell him to go to the website because it is full of posts about death.

• Like 1