Renewed Type O Marriage Visa Without Any Problems

I figured since there as been a few posts recently about people have problems with visas i'd post my positive story.

I went into Suan Plu today to get the 1 year marriage visa renewed. I was a bit nervous as i'd only had the 400k in the bank for about 3 weeks (not 3 months).

The process seemed to go pretty smoothly without any problems. The officer did say that next year i should make sure i have the money in the bank 3 months prior, but that it was not a problem this time.

An interesting side note was that i brought my condo house papers along to show that we had bought a condo (just to show that we are in a good financial situation). The officer said that this wasn't necessary (which i already knew), and what's more that "foreigners cannot buy condos anymore" so i should not show people this paper??? Is there any truth to this?

Edited by dave111223

I figured since there as been a few posts recently about people have problems with visas i'd post my positive story.

I went into Suan Plu today to get the 1 year marriage visa renewed. I was a bit nervous as i'd only had the 400k in the bank for about 3 weeks (not 3 months).

The process seemed to go pretty smoothly without any problems. The officer did say that next year i should make sure i have the money in the bank 3 months prior, but that it was not a problem this time.

An interesting side note was that i brought my condo house papers along to show that we had bought a condo (just to show that we are in a good financial situation). The officer said that this wasn't necessary (which i already knew), and what's more that "foreigners cannot buy condos anymore" so i should not show people this paper??? Is there any truth to this?

They accepted my application about 2 weeks ago with the 400K only in the bank for a couple of days. Wasn't much of a problem but they did make me and the missus sign a statement that we understood the money had to be in the acount for three months if we wanted to use the 400K rule next year.

Cheers,

Soundman.

They accepted my application about 2 weeks ago with the 400K only in the bank for a couple of days. Wasn't much of a problem but they did make me and the missus sign a statement that we understood the money had to be in the acount for three months if we wanted to use the 400K rule next year.

Yes my wife had to sign something like this. Which i think is quite reasonable, so that you can't plead ignorance next year :o

hey dave,you sound like the man i need to ask! did you have to bring proof of income or employment or is that just the first time? is the money in the bank enough? does it have to be in a joint account or can it just be in your wifes name? i am about to get an "O" but i worry that when it is time to renew in a year that i will be looking for another job and unemployed. from what you just said they didnt ask for proof of income or employment

hey dave,you sound like the man i need to ask! did you have to bring proof of income or employment or is that just the first time? is the money in the bank enough? does it have to be in a joint account or can it just be in your wifes name? i am about to get an "O" but i worry that when it is time to renew in a year that i will be looking for another job and unemployed. from what you just said they didnt ask for proof of income or employment

Sounds like you are just applying for the first time? If so then different rules apply, so my advise will not be much help.

If this is not your first time then here's the answers:

- No i did not bring any proof of income

- Bank account is in my name (not joint account), i've heard that if you have a joint account then you require twice the money, and cannot use bank in wife's name.

- Be sure to bring confirmation letter from the bank, that you do have an account and that you do have the require money in it.

My account is at TMB, and the confirmation letter doesn't even state the exact amount in the account just says that i have an amount of "6 figures", but they have accepted this letter both times.

- Obviously bring your passbook, last time they also required a recent ATM receipt, but this time they did not.

Edited by dave111223