Marriage O-Visa and Divorce

I am getting mixed messages about what happens to my visa when we go to the amphur to divorce. Some sites and people say my visa will be canceled immediately, others say it is good until it expires on December 27.

What is the official ruling on this? Obviously, now is not a good time to try and get a new visa. I will be 50 years old a few weeks before my current visa expires, and I plan to get a retirement visa.

If you have valid multiple entry non-o visa it would remain valid until it until it expires.

It on a extension of stay based upon marriage it ends on the day your divorce is finalized. But nobody but you or your wife would inform immigration about it.

If you could wait until you turn 50 to finalize the divorce you could change the reason for your extension to retirement.

53 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It on a extension of stay based upon marriage it ends on the day your divorce is finalized. But nobody but you or your wife would inform immigration about it.

I had a Non-O issued in 1992, I believe on the basis that my daughter would shortly be born, though I'm not exactly sure. I didn't marry her mother until 2006 and all extensions since 1992 have been done through employment. This year is the first time that the Labour Department have required a marriage certificate and wife's ID to renew my work permit. Will I run into problems with this after a divorce?

12 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I had a Non-O issued in 1992, I believe on the basis that my daughter would shortly be born, though I'm not exactly sure. I didn't marry her mother until 2006 and all extensions since 1992 have been done through employment. This year is the first time that the Labour Department have required a marriage certificate and wife's ID to renew my work permit. Will I run into problems with this after a divorce?

Apparently they may of noticed that your entry back in 1992 was done with a non-o visa. That would be the only reason for them to ask for your marriage certificate.

I cannot see you getting divorced since you are on an extension of stay based upon working. It should not make difference if you did get divorced you could just show you were married before.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have valid multiple entry non-o visa it would remain valid until it until it expires.

If you could wait until you turn 50 to finalize the divorce you could change the reason for your extension to retirement.

The Amphur will not stamp my passport, enter in immigration or other computer records, ...?

It is based on marriage, yes.

Are you saying to get a multiple entry permit first?

Edited by SailingHome
was not done writing

8 hours ago, SailingHome said:

The Amphur will not stamp my passport, enter in immigration or other computer records, ...?

The Amphoe cannot do anything. They cannot stamp your passport or do anything else. Many people have gotten a divorce and stayed until there extension expired and left the country to get a new visa to start all over again.

I did not mention a re-entry permit. I only was trying to confirm you and an extension since you wrote you had a visa.

My suggestion is to try an hold off on doing the divorce until you are 50 years old to change to an extension based upon retirement.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The Amphoe cannot do anything. They cannot stamp your passport or do anything else. Many people have gotten a divorce and stayed until there extension expired and left the country to get a new visa to start all over again.

I did not mention a re-entry permit. I only was trying to confirm you and an extension since you wrote you had a visa.

My suggestion is to try an hold off on doing the divorce until you are 50 years old to change to an extension based upon retirement.

Thank you, Joe. You are always a source of great compassion and understanding of the ways of the land.

If the Amphoe will not do anything, why delay the divorce? I can get a retirement visa on Dec 16, and the current visa based on marriage is good until Dec. 27.

I need the divorce to satisfy my church. Think I want to spend 5 months with female companionship? 55555555555555555555555

{smiley}

5 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

If the Amphoe will not do anything, why delay the divorce? I can get a retirement visa on Dec 16, and the current visa based on marriage is good until Dec. 27.

Because immigration can ask about the reason you are changing to retirement and they might want your wife's approval.

It is touch and go after you get the divorce since you would technically be staying on a invalid extension.

51 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Because immigration can ask about the reason you are changing to retirement and they might want your wife's approval.

It is touch and go after you get the divorce since you would technically be staying on a invalid extension.

One can easy justify the saying never trust a Thai woman. In this case, I can expect she will be 100 percent supportive in helping me get the retirement visa. 

I think we will do a paper divorce to satisfy church. Renew the marriage visa if there are issues getting retirement visa, and keep working the retirement visa angle until approved. Only then go to the Anphoe, and, honestly, why divorce at amphoe if neither of us is in a hurry to remarry?

I should note she is willing to sign a quit claim of joint assets back dated one year, and a recognition that the marriage is considered disolved, but not registered. Totally private. No government intervention. Leverageable in court if I ever need.

Edited by SailingHome
was not done writing