Retirement Visa

Looking for information -- I am planning on retiring in Thailand next year (probably March or April 2005). I am an IT consultant with my own company (I am the company). What are the requirements for obtaining a retirement visa? I am over 50 and a US citizen. Also, any banking advice would be appreciated. I currently have accounts (stock, IRA, etc.) at CitiBank -- CitiBank has offices in Bangkok so do I need accounts at a Thai bank? Thanks in advance for any advice/information.

You need 800,000 baht or a combination of fixed income and savings in a bank IN Thailand. Get a Non-Immigrant O visa at home before you head for Thailand, and extend it a year at a time. You need a very simple medical certificate from a hospital in Thailand as well. Your bank account circumstances need to be provided in letter form from the bank to the Immigration Department.

Just got the renewal of my multi entry retirement visa from Soi 8 immigration.

Went for it 6 weeks early because of the new legislation and was pleasantly surprised to have the renewal dated 13.5 months ahead of today’s date.

Had to show the normal paper work including over 800,000 in a Thai bank.

A very friendly and efficient service, and worth the 500 baht tip suggested by them. Lol. Apparently this was to make sure I was given no problems. Not that I’m complaining.

Was informed that the email method of signing for 90 days through their website is not going to happen anytime soon, if ever.