Thai Legal System

lannarebirth

In the country I come from, if one loses a court case one may make application to an appeals court for the case to be reheard there. Application is granted only when a procedural error or misapplication of law can be shown to the appeals court satisfaction, in the initial court. It is by no means guaranteed that a case will get a second hearing.

Here in Thailand it "appears" to me that the loser may automatically appeal and that the case goes right back to square one after the initial verdict/judgement. It would "appear" that this system favors unscrupulous persons with deeper pockets who can ride roughshod over their poorer adversaries. As the saying goes "justice delayed is justice denied". I'm wondering if I'm missing something here and that there are good reasons for the way they do it here. Does anyone have any insight into how it works here?

PS: In the couple of court cases I've observed here, the initial court did a pretty good job to ascertain the facts and I thought was quite good and fair in the judgenments it rendered.

In the country I come from, if one loses a court case one may make application to an appeals court for the case to be reheard there. Application is granted only when a procedural error or misapplication of law can be shown to the appeals court satisfaction, in the initial court. It is by no means guaranteed that a case will get a second hearing.

Here in Thailand it "appears" to me that the loser may automatically appeal and that the case goes right back to square one after the initial verdict/judgement. It would "appear" that this system favors unscrupulous persons with deeper pockets who can ride roughshod over their poorer adversaries. As the saying goes "justice delayed is justice denied". I'm wondering if I'm missing something here and that there are good reasons for the way they do it here. Does anyone have any insight into how it works here?

PS: In the couple of court cases I've observed here, the initial court did a pretty good job to ascertain the facts and I thought was quite good and fair in the judgenments it rendered.

That's exactly how it works.

And the unscrupulous (toxin etc.) play it to their advantage. Keep the problem in the courts (3 different levels) delay every hearing, delay, delay, delay,

And, hey presto... The statute of limitations is up. & you can then have the case thrown out of court.

Ask that American business man who got done out of his cable TV business.

Cheers,

Soundman.