7 Months Overstay Pay

Works fine in theory but once you cross that dateline you are living on a knife edge. Depends where you live, Pattaya/Phuket/Samui you never know when you may be caught in a raid, what your social habits are, frequenting dodgy bars/clubs not a good idea, what further changes may be made to the rules, increased max fine or fine/jail combo, and how good your luck is.

So there you are, do you want to live seven months scared of your own shadow and risk the IDC or spend a little cash an do it properly.

As they say : UP 2 U. :D

But one thing you do know, if you get caught you can always come back here and recount your experiences. You are guaranteed a rousing reception and plenty of tea and sympathy :o . We do so enjoy a laugh and some lively banter. :D .

The thais actually leave the end off the sentance " Up to you " ,. the full sentance is " Up to you, youre paying " !

It wont take long before your found out.

Maybe you like the idea of being caught, locked up in a concrete hotbox and dont mind only boiled rice for every meal. Its not a nice place to be. The paperwork for deportation can take an absolute age to be sorted out, depending on how miffed off they are at you :D

Overstay is never an option, for the sake of a few hundred quid its better off being legal. Get a tourist visa.

For me, Thailand is such a wonderful place. Just the right combination of friendly people and ancient culture. I respect all that it is and will always bend over backwards to avoid breaking any of their laws, despite my desire to spend as much time as I can there. I do all I can for the Thai people, and it feels good.

Are you thai ! :o

and risk jail time

what an idiot writes such a nonsense.

ever been to suan plu immigration prison?

it may change your life. but not the good way.

but people like you may need such a place to get a clear head again.

dont overstay, its not worth it.

I currently live in the states. We have a huge problem with illegal immigrants here. I would never in my life live in another country illegally.

It's a morals and principle thing for me.

How does morality come into it? If i'm born in country X and i want to live in country Y, and "the man" tells me i can't, but i live there anyways; does that make me "immoral"?

Are you making the claim that doing the above is inherently wrong/immoral? And if so please explain why you believe it is inherently wrong.

Simple, it's illegal. You are offending your hosts by breaking their laws as though the don't apply to you. Very common problem with Americans. Don't know if you are or are not American.

I wonder how you are so informed that you know that breaking the laws is a comon problem with Americans. Plus you don't even know if the OP is American. If not, does that shoot a hole in your gross generalization? Two of the more notorious overstayers in recent memory happen to have been Swiss and German. Stick to the topic and keep your prejudices to yourself.

I am British and American.

And my arguement is not that it is legal or illegal; as yes it is illegal.

In fact my point is exactly as you have stated [brianwl] that it is a matter of law, and not a matter of morality. It is not the same thing.

Whereas in your original post you claim the 2 to be the same.

Laws are followed based on moral convictions not to break laws.

I currently live in the states. We have a huge problem with illegal immigrants here. I would never in my life live in another country illegally.

How does morality come into it? If i'm born in country X and i want to live in country Y, and "the man" tells me i can't, but i live there anyways; does that make me "immoral"?

Are you making the claim that doing the above is inherently wrong/immoral? And if so please explain why you believe it is inherently wrong.

Simple, it's illegal. You are offending your hosts by breaking their laws as though the don't apply to you. Very common problem with Americans. Don't know if you are or are not American.

I wonder how you are so informed that you know that breaking the laws is a comon problem with Americans. Plus you don't even know if the OP is American. If not, does that shoot a hole in your gross generalization? Two of the more notorious overstayers in recent memory happen to have been Swiss and German. Stick to the topic and keep your prejudices to yourself.

I make my "generalization" based on 15 years traveling in many different countries and running into the "Ugly American" syndrome over and over again. Being grouped into the same category as those Americans who felt they are above the laws of the country they are visiting.

(obviously) it really depends on how much you care whether you can stay/come back to Thailand.......and what the reality of getting caught means (for you)

to me the 20,000 Baht option would be madness, as any fun day out could turn into a bad one. If you were really wealthy you could buy yourself out of it most times, sure, but you'd ultimately have to be prepared for deportation, anytime. Only for the very headstrong then?!

This recent clamp down on voa runners, won't effect those, right?

Overstay is easy at the border or aiport, as far as I understand.

i met a guy 2 weeks ago getting deported he spent 5 days in nick 20,000 fine then 22,000 for a oneway ticket back to the uk 200 baht for travel to the airport tranport care of the police had his pasport and ticket held by the airline so he couldnt buy duty free then when he landed he found out that the thai police had contacted the uk embassy and they contacted uk police who wanted him for an unpaid fine so they came on the plane and arrested him in front of everybody and told him sorry mate its bank holiday so youl get another night in the cells here

moral of this story is

:o DON'T DO IT,

CATCH THE COACH TO CAMBODIA ITS CHEAPER

and risk jail time

what an idiot writes such a nonsense.

ever been to suan plu immigration prison?

it may change your life. but not the good way.

but people like you may need such a place to get a clear head again.

dont overstay, its not worth it.

I totally agree with you

Well it's not mine personel situation

the topic I started was more intendend as a teaser

to found out , and read from people who found themselves

in that kind of situation

and reading all those reactions

it's almost a 50 50 thing

some people pay the 20.000 Baht and walk away from it

others found themselfs in the complete hel_l of it

to be clear

I absolute not reccomend people

to live here without the right papers

but I think there is a increasing ammount

of people with no visa

trying to get a life here in

Thailand [/size]

I make my "generalization" based on 15 years traveling in many different countries and running into the "Ugly American" syndrome over and over again. Being grouped into the same category as those Americans who felt they are above the laws of the country they are visiting.

Hogwash ....... can be said about any group .... but in Thailand the yanks don't have enough numbers to act like the rest :o

Instead of doing visa runs

just pay jour overstay 8 months at the airport [20.000 Baht]

and live with the risk

that the police ask for your pasport

inland, way before you leave Thailand

and risk jail time

I find it amazing that while some of us are doing everything we can to stay here legally, others are doing every thing they can to be kicked out.

I am British and American.

In fact my point is exactly as you have stated [brianwl] that it is a matter of law, and not a matter of morality. It is not the same thing.

Laws are followed based on moral convictions not to break laws.

By this reasoning anyone who breaks the law is lacking in moral conviction?

So you would also have to accept, for example, that when the law said black people had to sit at the back of bus, then a bus driver allowing a black person to sit at the front would also be lacking in moral conviction?

So a German haboring a Jew during WWII was also lacking in moral conviction?

You may argue "Well these laws were obviously wrong!", but how do you know that they will not look back in 100 years, and say "God those immigration laws were so foolish!"

Edited by dave111223

i met a guy 2 weeks ago getting deported he spent 5 days in nick 20,000 fine then 22,000 for a oneway ticket back to the uk 200 baht for travel to the airport tranport care of the police had his pasport and ticket held by the airline so he couldnt buy duty free then when he landed he found out that the thai police had contacted the uk embassy and they contacted uk police who wanted him for an unpaid fine so they came on the plane and arrested him in front of everybody and told him sorry mate its bank holiday so youl get another night in the cells here

moral of this story is

A very bad situation for anyone.

Question to the forum>>>>>

If someone has an overstay of a year or so and leaves via Suwarnabhumi Airport, when can that person return to Thailand for a visa, or is it at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

Luckily for me I have the Blue book (WP).

A friend of a friend told me of a fellow who's on a 7 year overstay. Bumped into him last month and he says it's getting tougher. They all know, he said, referring to the police. I don't think he'll ever leave or have too much problems because of it.

I met an english monk at lop buri who has chucked his passport away and rekons he is here for life (good for him) i wonder if the police will ever as a monk for his passport or id ??

I agree. It's nothing at all to do with morality. I find moral police irritating as morals are all dictated by religious beliefs which vary greatly from person to person.

I'd say it's purely a business decision. If a person knows the maximum penalty (in this case 20K) and knows the risks (a short confinement IF caught) and is prepared to take them, then there is nothing wrong with what he is doing. He's saving money and any possible jail time would probably be less invonvenient than multiple visa runs over the year.

It's a very small risk of doing jail time and a big savings in time and money. It balances out nicely.

Edited by tropo

I met an english monk at lop buri who has chucked his passport away and rekons he is here for life (good for him) i wonder if the police will ever as a monk for his passport or id ??

AFAIK as long as your in monk robes you can stay as long as you like (according to Lonely Planet (but who's listening to them anyway)).

moral of this story is

Colino, you seem to be a magnet for ill. immigrants. How do you manage it? :D

A friend of a friend told me of a fellow who's on a 7 year overstay. Bumped into him last month and he says it's getting tougher. They all know, he said, referring to the police. I don't think he'll ever leave or have too much problems because of it.

Did this fellow also happen to know a guy who's brother knew someone who knew of the whereabouts of Lord Lucan?

Of course the police know who are the overstayers it's their job to collect the donations to the party fund. All the time they guy keeps paying they'll leave him be. No point hauling him in because it then becomes immigration's little cash cow.

Does anyone know the process for paying the overstay fine at the airport? My friend heads there tomorrow on a 2 day overstay. He wants to know where to find the office and he just got a new passport without any stamps obviously so are there any hassles transferring the old entry stamp into the new passport? I will create a new topic on this question. Thanks.

When he enters the immigration area for departure he will tell the officer of the overstay and they will send him to a special desk or office to take care of it. Believe they will also take care of the passport change at the same time (although you are expected to do that at Hqs before leaving under normal circumstances). Be sure to allow a little extra time but do not believe it will take very long.