Canadian Tourist Visa

I am planning to get a Canadian tourist visa here in Bangkok.

What do they usually require?

I will have a letter of invitation from my boyfriend's mother as my bf and I will be travelling together. I have some money in the bank to show for my expenses. Although I am not sure how much is "enough" money for them?

I am currently holding a Thai tourist visa, but I will be applying to a university in Bangkok to do some graduate courses. So I will have a letter of acceptance from a university stating that I will be coming back to bangkok and that I will get Non-Imm- Ed.

Will it be easy to get a Canadian tourist visa here? Does anyone have the same experience or probably have some information for me?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

i'm a filipino and im in my early 20's. ive also known my bf for more than 3 years now.

would this info help me in visa application? has anyone applied a tourist visa in canadian embassy in bangkok?

I'm curerntly not working right now since I want to do some graduate courses. If I have the acceptance letter from school (here in Bangkok), would that be acceptable in the embassy?

I plan to get my Thai non-immmigrant Ed visa in Canada if my CAN tourist visa will be approved. Or would it be better to get my Thai non-imm Ed visa somewhere else then come back to Thailand and apply for a CAN tourist visa? I prefer to do it in Canada to save money, so I wouldn't have to go out ouf the country twice.

I do have some money in the bank to pay for my studies and my trip to Canada.

What's my chance of getting a CAN tourist visa ? Are they strict here in Bangkok?

Hmm, I don't think the Canadian embassy is that hard to persuade in BKK. I accompanied a lady to that embassy a few months back who was applying for a tourist visa (got it in a day). The main difference between you and her was that she had already done 3 years at the Rajabat Institute and had a letter from the Dean stating she was close to completing her studies. She was going over to see her boyfriend - but listed him as being a "former employer" and herself being employed as a maid...

/// DFW

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I still need some help...

I will be going to CAN embassy Bangkok this Wednesday. I'm wondering if I'm missing some things before going to the embassy.

Just a few more information about myself and my status here in Bangkok.

I've had a Non-Imm ED before since I did my some of my undergrad studies here in Bangkok. After my Non-Imm Ed expired, I am only staying here on tourist visas. But now I have been accepted to a graduate school in Bangkok and will be going there this September. I plan to get that visa in Canada and at the same time go there for summer vacation.

I have a relative here (my aunt-- Thai national) who has written a letter that she has been (and will continue) supporting my stay here in Bangkok, including my studies. I thought maybe that would help to convince them that I will come back to LOS (because I will really do come back).

I also have these documents:

-my acceptance letter from the Thai University

-my bank statement (about 100,000 Baht) --althought I don't know home much is enough for a month stay in Canada that they require in CAN embassy.

-invitation letter from my mom's boyfriend (Canadian citizen) stating that accomodation and food will be provided

My Canadian boyfriend will also go with me to the embassy. He and I have been together for more than 3 years and living together for about 2 years here in Bangkok. (We will be going to Canada together if I get the visa) So maybe that'll help, too.

I've tired calling the embassy, but they weren't very helpful. So, I'm hoping that when I go there.... I'll get the visa.

What else do I need to bring? and need to do? Need answers asap! Thanks!!!!

I suggest you try another way, honestly. How about you show the sufficient funds for a vacation in Canada? And that's it. If you tell them anything about a Canadian boyfriend, they will most likely deny your application and recommend you get a fiancee/marriage visa. Trust me, i know of two couples who are even closer to Canada, both US/Canadian couples, one of them being an employee of mine, who have been denied a Canadian visa, the reason being a boyfriend or girlfriend in Canada.

I know this sounds harsh, but i'm not trying to scare you. Just find an alternate way to travel.

Thanks rainman, but..

Do you mean...I shouldn't tell them about my CAN boyfriend at all and not show the letter of invitation from his mother? Even thought I just want to go there for 1 month.

Hmmm....

I have some money in the bank, but I don't know if that'll be enough.

Now, I'm really confused... Which way would be better?

In my opinion, you shouldn't. Because it will make Canada Immigration believe that you want to stay in Canada on a tourist visa and not leave anymore (even though that's most likely not your intention). I know of a couple (US/Canadian) that got married in the US and he (US citizen) was denied a Canadian tourist visa because they were married, so they had to apply for a marriage-based visa, which took over 8 months and they were almost never able to see eachother during this time. Another couple (one of them an employee of mine) has been denied entry into Canada several times due to having a boyfriend in Canada and has been recommended applying for a fiancee visa even though they do not wish to get married yet. Once you tell them that you have a b/f in Canada, they will note that into the computer system and it will pop up each time you come to a border entry to Canada - of course, its always up to the officer whether they allow you in or not, but from my own experience, they are very tough.

Trust me, i'm not trying to scare you, i'm just trying to help you prevent problems before they happen. I hold Canadian permanent residence myself since three years and i have quite a bit of experience dealing with Canada Immigration.

What nationality are you? It shouldn't be a problem for you entering on the reason to just make a vacation in Canada.

I know of a couple (US/Canadian) that got married in the US and he (US citizen) was denied a Canadian tourist visa because they were married, so they had to apply for a marriage-based visa, which took over 8 months and they were almost never able to see eachother during this time.

I don't think American citizens need a tourist visa to enter Canada. I think that US citizens are exempted from tourist visas.

Hmmm....

But in my situation, are there any chances to get a visa?

i think u better do what rainman suggests,coz he seems to know much about canada immigration.I think u can still show the invitation letter from your bf's mother to the embassy stating that she's a friend or an aunt or something like that.As rainman suggests,i think it should work more than disclosing them about your bf.

Best of Luck

I don't think American citizens need a tourist visa to enter Canada. I think that US citizens are exempted from tourist visas.

Hmmm....

But in my situation, are there any chances to get a visa?

Well, are you US or Thai citizen?

Thank you for all your replies.

I was very lucky today because I was able to get a Canadian Tourist Visa.

I had an interview with the visa officer. At first, she was a little doubtful whether I would come back or not since my bf will be going back to Canada for good. But I just said that my family lives here and I will be attending graduate school. So the letters from the school and my aunt helped me a lot. Eventually, things turned out to be fine.

I was presentable and talked to the officer clearly and honestly. I think that counts as well.

Will be going to Canada for a month vacation. :o

Good luck to all other visa applicants.