Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Well the bike just feels like it doesn't vibrate so much. Giving the engine response a better feeling.

Nice bike.

OK, i understand. Never thought that such guards could do things like reducing vibration. But if it works, perfect.

I like my new CBR150 like it is. A sewing machine below 8000Rpm, a wild wasp above. No distracting vibration imo.

Dave, you are of course right. As always biggrin.png

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback on the engine guard. I was really hoping someone installed a set on their CBR 150R and could enlighten me with their thoughts on was the 3kBaht worth it. IMO I really think it was.

Yea I painted the turn signals with transparent black paint, so they still work. I went a little to dark on them thou.

I think we have evidence of a placebo working.

f = (1/2π)(k/m)

Simplest description of the mechanical resonant frequency. You'll notice the "m" is a divisor; the greater the mass of the system the smaller the natural frequency (for the sake of argument assume that k=1 and m=2; you have 1/2≈0,7 but if you increase the mass to 4 you then have 1/4=0,5...obviously 1/2π(~0,7) is greater than 1/2π(0,5)). Furthermore, since the "k" is for spring constant, and to determine that you need to use the formula

-(F/x)=k

where "x" is how far the 'spring' gets displaced from its equilibrium point (always a negative number so your minus sign cancels it out), and "F "is force (which will remain constant at each RPM in the case of the CBR 150R engine), a laminated object having a greater modulus of elasticity will increase the "x" and...well you can understand from my above example of increasing the divisor.

It's so expensive (relatively) it must do something. wink.png

Ummh, ok.

**edit**

Found this simple page that gives an animated description of my math above. Click below the ball to set it in motion. If clicking on the bottom of the box with the default of "2,0" it gives a force of ~2,6. Change the m to 4,0 and you'll get a force of approximately 0,8....much smaller. And as I imagine that the case savers add much more than double the mass of the actual cases, the differences will be more pronounced.

Edited by dave_boo

If it cut down the engine vibration thats great, one of the things about the old style cbr 150 was all the vibration, i wonder if it will work on the older model as well.

You might be able to us the engine guard from the new model on the old model. I'm not sure if the case is the same but they look similar. Or they might even have a model for the old CBR that you can use. Just ask the seller before you pay. And ask of you can take it back if it doesn't fit.

post-153149-0-19838600-1347601679_thumb.

I think we have evidence of a placebo working.

f = (1/2π)(k/m)

Simplest description of the mechanical resonant frequency. You'll notice the "m" is a divisor; the greater the mass of the system the smaller the natural frequency (for the sake of argument assume that k=1 and m=2; you have 1/2≈0,7 but if you increase the mass to 4 you then have 1/4=0,5...obviously 1/2π(~0,7) is greater than 1/2π(0,5)). Furthermore, since the "k" is for spring constant, and to determine that you need to use the formula

-(F/x)=k

where "x" is how far the 'spring' gets displaced from its equilibrium point (always a negative number so your minus sign cancels it out), and "F "is force (which will remain constant at each RPM in the case of the CBR 150R engine), a laminated object having a greater modulus of elasticity will increase the "x" and...well you can understand from my above example of increasing the divisor.

It's so expensive (relatively) it must do something. wink.png

Ummh, ok.

**edit**

Found this simple page that gives an animated description of my math above. Click below the ball to set it in motion. If clicking on the bottom of the box with the default of "2,0" it gives a force of ~2,6. Change the m to 4,0 and you'll get a force of approximately 0,8....much smaller. And as I imagine that the case savers add much more than double the mass of the actual cases, the differences will be more pronounced.

What would your life be without your Google derived info rolleyes.gif. Adding an engine guard may cut vibration but it won`t make an engine run smootherpost-153149-0-19838600-1347601679_thumb.. That`s why manufacturers add crankshaft balancers rather than engine guards . I have found a new avatar for you, feel free to use it biggrin.png

I bought an xspeed engine guard yesterday evening so I really didn't have a chance to feel the difference but today on my way to work I notice the bike seems to run smoother now. It feel very smooth at around 10k-11k

Has anyone spent the money on an engine guard? And how did you feel with it?

You mean something like this?

20110705cover_1.jpg

Sorry for this stupid question, i know nothing about such parts. But isn't such engine guard just for styling and protection of the casing? Why should it make my engine run smoother?

+1 huh.png

Technically it should not. However, if there are some harmonics resulting from the engine casing vibrating, the added weight and stiffness of the case saver can theoretically, just like lead in bar ends, absorb it or change the resonant frequency enough to make the bike appear to run more smoothly.

**edit**

Proper technical term.

Exactly, the engine isn`t actually running more smoothly than before although it may APPEAR to the rider that it is, as less vibration is reaching him.

What would your life be without your Google derived info rolleyes.gif. Adding an engine guard may cut vibration but it won`t make an engine run smoother. That`s why manufacturers add crankshaft balancers rather than engine guards . I have found a new avatar for you, feel free to use it biggrin.png

It would actually be less tedious if I was not forced to endeavour to locate shiny animated examples for persons who can not grasp basic math nor have a reading comprehension above that of a primary school child.

As far as the engine not running more smoothly, which from your post I deduce you to indicate that 'more smoothly' is meant to be used for optimal operational parameters rather than optimal sensory parameters, reduced vibrations can limit valve float, increase fuel delivery accuracy (more so on carb'd bikes), etc.

You realise that counter balancers do the exact same thing that the engine guard does re reducing vibration; only actively? It is an added mass designed to counter the crankshaft, connecting rod, and piston's unwanted thrust. It is extremely hard to cancel out the vibrations using a counterbalancer, because, you know, people actually want to use the engine power to move the vehicle. So counterbalancers are intended to change the direction of the force. Usually that is laterally as it is a less noticed force than horizontally.

But go ahead and keep mocking me; can't remember a time that my math wasn't sound and I'm sure that posters like you would jump at the chance to prove that wrong.

Hi all,

Since a week I am the proud owner of a new, red coloured CBR150. I am Dutch and now almost three years here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. My first motorbike was a Honda Dream 125. I loved it but I did not like the upright position on these bikes. So I decided to buy the CBR. That was a good decision. I like it very much.

I did read through most of this thread and found it very helpfull. Thanks for all the information.

Yesterday I started the engine of the CBR and heard a high constant tone. Like a boiling kettle (in the Netherlands we had these kettles with a whistle on it. That kind of sound it is). I think it is the same sound Deemon asked about, some months ago. Does anyone know where this sound comes from and if something has to be done about it?

Reading that "the dealer does not more than oil change" worried me a bit. I am not that technical so what should I do to make sure that the bike is maintained properly? I bought the bike from the Honda shop at Chang Klang road and intended to have it serviced there. Since I was told it is a Honda shop and no dealership, I expected to get good maintenance there.

I would love to hear the response of you experts out there.

Hi all,

Since a week I am the proud owner of a new, red coloured CBR150. I am Dutch and now almost three years here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. My first motorbike was a Honda Dream 125. I loved it but I did not like the upright position on these bikes. So I decided to buy the CBR. That was a good decision. I like it very much.

I did read through most of this thread and found it very helpfull. Thanks for all the information.

Yesterday I started the engine of the CBR and heard a high constant tone. Like a boiling kettle (in the Netherlands we had these kettles with a whistle on it. That kind of sound it is). I think it is the same sound Deemon asked about, some months ago. Does anyone know where this sound comes from and if something has to be done about it?

Reading that "the dealer does not more than oil change" worried me a bit. I am not that technical so what should I do to make sure that the bike is maintained properly? I bought the bike from the Honda shop at Chang Klang road and intended to have it serviced there. Since I was told it is a Honda shop and no dealership, I expected to get good maintenance there.

I would love to hear the response of you experts out there.

if it is a whistling sound then probably the fuel pump. The one on my bike was quite loud. I wouldn't worry too much about the servicing, besides the fuel injection, mechanically it is very similar to the old 150 which has proven reliable. Your bike being new it has 3 year warranty! Congrats on your purchase, it is a fun bike.

Edited by taichiplanet

Watch out for slippery roads. I put my -150 down today after hitting some clear and green moss. You could barely stand on the road as it was like ice, and that is how the bike felt when the front end just slid out in a turn. Bent mirror, cracked fairing, bent brake handle, nicked master cylinder, gouged bar, and customized muffler scratches. I got out from under it somehow and only a few scrapes and pains. Onward Ever!

Thanks Thachiplanet. Takes my worries away. I will just have it regularly serviced then.

Yeah, a few days ago I took the "Samoeng ride". It was beautifull weather for it. Until I just passed Samoeng in the direction of Mae Rim. It had rained there. I must admit that I felt a bit more unstable in these mountains then on my Dream. I did not expect that because the tires are so much wider. Perhaps it is just a feeling of a newbie? :-)

Thanks Thachiplanet. Takes my worries away. I will just have it regularly serviced then.

Yeah, a few days ago I took the "Samoeng ride". It was beautifull weather for it. Until I just passed Samoeng in the direction of Mae Rim. It had rained there. I must admit that I felt a bit more unstable in these mountains then on my Dream. I did not expect that because the tires are so much wider. Perhaps it is just a feeling of a newbie? :-)

Yea it's probably because I you or the bike and you not used to it. Give it a few months and you will flying up and down those mountain roads. Man I wish I lived in Chang Mai some times.

Watch out for slippery roads. I put my -150 down today after hitting some clear and green moss. You could barely stand on the road as it was like ice, and that is how the bike felt when the front end just slid out in a turn. Bent mirror, cracked fairing, bent brake handle, nicked master cylinder, gouged bar, and customized muffler scratches. I got out from under it somehow and only a few scrapes and pains. Onward Ever!

Glad you aren't too 'worse for wear' after that. Sorry about your bike damage. Can you tell me more about the conditions of the weather and road so I might avoid the same thing happening to me?

Glad you aren't too 'worse for wear' after that. Sorry about your bike damage. Can you tell me more about the conditions of the weather and road so I might avoid the same thing happening to me?

I have seen such road conditions on small streets with very little traffic near woods and on the north side of hills (no sunshine all day). Perfect conditions for moss to grow especially in rainy season. The whole street can be covered with it. But i have only seen this on very small streets with very little traffic flow while riding my bicycle. But if you hit such thing you are in real trouble as it is mostly while going steep up or downhill.

An other possibility are puddles that do not get dry for long time, mostly in the shadow. Or water that is running over the street constantly. It looks like the inner sides of an aquarium that never gets cleaned sad.png

Edited by wantan

Ram... Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the conditions, Wantan gets into it a bit there, and the road I was on was through an area with green moss on the rocks in the forest and directly on the pavement on the side of the road. It was a narrow, steep, shaded concrete road but I have seen the same conditions on the road to Doi Suthep. I think the moss grows clear and slimy until it turns green. Super slippery, so watch out for any green moss on the side of the road or on the trees and rocks.

My slide out came at the end of a long wet season ride on mud and pavement where I was fish tailing out of muddy intersections and having a fun day, feeling on top of my game. I saw the moss and was going slow but there was no way that front tire could maintain traction. The bike was down in milliseconds. A monk came by to help and we had to throw gravel on the road so we could stand there long enough to get the bike upright. I think this area of the mountains had seen a lot of rain and no sun for several months.

Dirt/sand/gravel falling off dump trucks on asphalt roads. Dirt spread by those tractors running on the main road from the farm (I thought Thai law says you can't drive a four wheel vehicle without a windshield and/or proper turn signals on the highway, anyone who has a Thai driver license remembers the driving in a street with a tank, right) -- but hey TIT). If you're able to "wiggle" out of a fishtail you'll probably be fine.

It was a narrow, steep, shaded concrete road but I have seen the same conditions on the road to Doi Suthep. I think the moss grows clear and slimy until it turns green. Super slippery, so watch out for any green moss on the side of the road or on the trees and rocks.

Maybe it wasn't moss but some kind of Algae, something like the Batrachospermum gelatinosum. Such kind of Algae are growing f.e. in sweet water puddles.

post-129800-0-94594400-1348565222.jpg

Most likely you will not be able to see a thin layer of it on the street. Only a thicker layer will look green. As the name "Batrachospermum gelatinosum" suggests these Algae are very slippery. Next time i notice such situation i will stop and have a closer look. For a safer ride thumbsup.gif

It was a narrow, steep, shaded concrete road but I have seen the same conditions on the road to Doi Suthep. I think the moss grows clear and slimy until it turns green. Super slippery, so watch out for any green moss on the side of the road or on the trees and rocks.

Maybe it wasn't moss but some kind of Algae, something like the Batrachospermum gelatinosum. Such kind of Algae are growing f.e. in sweet water puddles.

post-129800-0-94594400-1348565222.jpg

Most likely you will not be able to see a thin layer of it on the street. Only a thicker layer will look green. As the name "Batrachospermum gelatinosum" suggests these Algae are very slippery. Next time i notice such situation i will stop and have a closer look. For a safer ride thumbsup.gif

Holy Batrachospermumocide Batman, I think you are right. Closest thing to icy roads I have found in Thailand.

Ram... Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the conditions, Wantan gets into it a bit there, and the road I was on was through an area with green moss on the rocks in the forest and directly on the pavement on the side of the road. It was a narrow, steep, shaded concrete road but I have seen the same conditions on the road to Doi Suthep. I think the moss grows clear and slimy until it turns green. Super slippery, so watch out for any green moss on the side of the road or on the trees and rocks.

My slide out came at the end of a long wet season ride on mud and pavement where I was fish tailing out of muddy intersections and having a fun day, feeling on top of my game. I saw the moss and was going slow but there was no way that front tire could maintain traction. The bike was down in milliseconds. A monk came by to help and we had to throw gravel on the road so we could stand there long enough to get the bike upright. I think this area of the mountains had seen a lot of rain and no sun for several months.

Very good descriptions by both you and Wantan. Thank you both. I plan to ride BKK only and only during the dry season until I can make a more substantial move. But even in Bangkok during the rainy season on less well travelled streets there is the possibility. I take it that even when you see it in time, there is absolutely no traction. Maybe I could ride in the ditch where it is 'rough'. Back in my TT dirt bike days, we would sit far back on the bike to lighten the front end and get more traction on the back end. I don't know how this would work under the circumstances you experienced and don't really want to find out. Again, glad you're OK.